Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Ironman Lanzarote

Options
  • 18-12-2017 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭

Today I start my quest to conquer the legend that is Club La Santa Ironman Lanzarote 2019.
    Why? Sure why not.

Running wise I'm grand. Running about 5 years and will hit 3000+ miles this year.
    Cycling wise very little but I enjoy the old saddle lark so I don't see this been much of a problem.
    Swimming wise I'm restricted to the anchor stroke so I've a lot of work to do in this area.

I'll try and update the log on a weekly basis and will outline my plan as I progress. I would very much appreciate any input from the good people of this fine forum.
    *off to Google swimming lessons*

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Welcome aboard. There is a good swimming thread on hear from last year you can find with the search by Kurt.Godle

It always a good idea as well to join a local tri club that will have swim sessions and some company for your cycles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Welcome aboard. There is a good swimming thread on hear from last year you can find with the search by Kurt.Godle

It always a good idea as well to join a local tri club that will have swim sessions and some company for your cycles

Thanks 68. I'll definitely have a look for that thread.

I'm on the look out for 1 2 1 lessons, if anyone can recommend someone for Dublin city centre during the day or the Wicklow area in the evenings it would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Found the thread, its here and a bit older than I remember https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057321888

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Thanks 68. I'll definitely have a look for that thread.

I'm on the look out for 1 2 1 lessons, if anyone can recommend someone for Dublin city centre during the day or the Wicklow area in the evenings it would be much appreciated!

my cuz rachael ..fb ocean breakers or can forward u fone number..

my cuz rachael ..fb ocean breakers or can forward u fone number..

Yes bang it on, ta. I'll check it out.
    Edit: just checked it out. Seems to be for the more advanced? Open water coaching?
    I'm probably going to concentrate more on the pool for now and progress a bit next summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Yes bang it on, ta. I'll check it out.
    Edit: just checked it out. Seems to be for the more advanced? Open water coaching?
    I'm probably going to concentrate more on the pool for now and progress a bit next summer.
    does beginners aswell...a fone call cozts nutin :)

Week ending 24/12/17

Run: Total miles 49+ with two sessions (3x6x40 secs and 2 mile tempo) and 1 long run(15+ miles)

Bike: 2 spins 20 ish miles on a crap bike. Will have a better one soon.

Swim: I have sourced both group and 1 2 1 lessons for the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

my cuz rachael ..

You sure that's a good idea? I remember a story about jocks and socks that I'd rather forget. Might be an idea for her to a background check first:pac:

El Caballo wrote: »
    You sure that's a good idea? I remember a story about jocks and socks that I'd rather forget. Might be an idea for her to a background check first:pac:

Sssssshhhhhhh:D

Week ending 31/12/2017

Run : 40+ miles. No sessions as such and only four runs so considering the week that was in it, not too bad. Hit 3001 miles for the year.

Bike : only the one spin on the same crap bike, 11+ miles. On a good note I have chosen my chariot and went for this one, https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/contend-sl-1. Hope to pick it up next week.

Swim : nowt.

Happy new year peps.

• Advertisement

Week ending 07/01/2018

Run : 46+ miles. 3 sessions, 3x6x40sec with a 3 min cherry, 9 miles with 17 mins @ tempo and 7 miles with 22 mins @ tempo on a hilly trail. Called off today's long run as a precaution, slight ankle niggle.

Bike : two short spins.

Swim : nowt.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

serious run mileage for a week!

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    serious run mileage for a week!

Thanks M_T. As I said earlier in the log the run mileage won't be an issue.
    I averaged around the 58 mile mark per week over the whole of last year peaking at back to back 90+ mile weeks.

As with many wannabe Ironmen the old water is the problem. I'll be going headlong into it for the next six months and we'll see the lie of the land then.
    I'm a stubborn old goat. :)

Week ending 14/01/2018

Run : 6 runs in total getting in a total of 54 miles.
    One long run (18miles) and one race(IMRA HOWTH)

Bike : 1 short spin.

Swim : 2 x 45 min dips including 1 lesson and 1 practice session.

About 10 hrs "activity time".....

Two weeks ending 28/01/2018
    After the IMRA race got absolutely sucker punched by a chest infection.
    Very frustrating not been able to get out much.

Run: only got out for two runs, 11 miles.

Bike: just the one spin today 57k @ 23kph with 1900 feet elevation.

Swim: 4 dips. Two lessons and two practice sessions. Starting to make progress.

Probably the worst couple of weeks training I’ve ever had but it couldn’t be helped.

Week ending 04/02/2018

Body still not right after recent illness, heart rate was way up on what it should be so another easy week was called for.

Run : 35+ miles
    Bike : 1 spin, 30k
    Swim : 2 dips, 1 lesson 1 practice.

Week ending 11/02/2018

Run:48 miles including a DNF at Donadea 50k. Got through 40k and the legs stopped working. Just not enough long runs so no complaints. Good race.

Bike: Nothing, planned to get out Sunday but decided to play with my new toy instead. Probably just as well considering my Donadea exploits.

Swim: The usual, 2 dips one lesson and one practice. Slow progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hard luck in Donadea WCH, nothing wrong with a 40km run at the tail end of a chest infection though :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Hard luck in Donadea WCH, nothing wrong with a 40km run at the tail end of a chest infection though :)

Thanks! Probably a bit silly of me doing it all things considered. Onwards and upwards as they say.

Advertisement