Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Route / Gym in Limerick

• 18-12-2017 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am relocating to Limerick in the New Year and looking for a gym to join. Will be working in Corbally so ideally somewhere that is easy to get to from there after work. I have found Aura is very close by, does anyone know if this is decent? Really just looking for access to gym equipment and HIIT/Circuit style classes.

Also looking for some advice on running routes please, can anyone recommend some safe routes around the Corbally area? I have seen a few threads talking about the riverbank near UL, can anyone advise/expand on this, I’m a totally newbie to the area so not that familiar with it! Is there a running track/pitches at UL that could be used, and can you join the gym there?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Mimojo wrote: »
    Hi,

I am relocating to Limerick in the New Year and looking for a gym to join. Will be working in Corbally so ideally somewhere that is easy to get to from there after work. I have found Aura is very close by, does anyone know if this is decent? Really just looking for access to gym equipment and HIIT/Circuit style classes.

Also looking for some advice on running routes please, can anyone recommend some safe routes around the Corbally area? I have seen a few threads talking about the riverbank near UL, can anyone advise/expand on this, I’m a totally newbie to the area so not that familiar with it! Is there a running track/pitches at UL that could be used, and can you join the gym there?

Thanks!

Aura in Grove Island is a really excellent gym imo. They have a good range of equipment and a swimming pool. I'm not a fan of the UL gym as it gets far too crowded when students are there. The track beside the sports centre is available for anyone to use and is a great spot for sprints and interval training. There's also hills right beside the track which are great for a few hill finishers also!

I run and cycle on the riverpath to UL most days and it's always busy with fellow runners. The path starts from Athlunkard Bridge in Corbally and goes all the way out to UL. Probably about 6 km there and back but then there are lots of trails around UL that can have you running for longer if you want.

If you're on Strava then you should follow 'Limerick Parkrun' and start following some of the Limerick runners on that. You will get some ideas for running routes around the Corbally area :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

panda100 wrote: »
    Aura in Grove Island is a really excellent gym imo. They have a good range of equipment and a swimming pool. I'm not a fan of the UL gym as it gets far too crowded when students are there. The track beside the sports centre is available for anyone to use and is a great spot for sprints and interval training. There's also hills right beside the track which are great for a few hill finishers also!

I run and cycle on the riverpath to UL most days and it's always busy with fellow runners. The path starts from Athlunkard Bridge in Corbally and goes all the way out to UL. Probably about 6 km there and back but then there are lots of trails around UL that can have you running for longer if you want.

If you're on Strava then you should follow 'Limerick Parkrun' and start following some of the Limerick runners on that. You will get some ideas for running routes around the Corbally area :)

+1 To the above

However the river walk can go longer as it starts at the Irish estates in Corbally making it 8KM route

Always use it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Thanks a mill for the reply! Good to hear Aura is decent, def going to give it a go in January. Its very close to work so will be very handy. I figured UL would be pretty packed, Im sure it has amazing equipment, but wouldn’t be too pushed on joining somewhere that is going to be wedged.

Good to know also that anyone can use the track at UL, most def going to visit there, esp for a few sprints!!

I will check out the riverpath near UL, will be about over xmass so will check it out then. Conscious I don’t know the area, but if I found a few paths I could use would be happy with that till the evenings get a bit brighter and its easier to explore the area. Cheers for tip of Strava too! Much appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

There are some really good routes around the Corbally area.  Heading out the Corbally road towards Larkins Cross you can turn right and head over the back way to UL and back in along the River bank.  Will give you a 10KM loop.  A really nice run.  Pavement all the way to Larkins Cross, then quiet country road as far as the turn to the UL pitches (Old Joey Hannon Tri route).  Then back towards the UL Rowing Club and onto the river bank run (No Traffic).

Wackoy2k wrote: »
    There are some really good routes around the Corbally area.  Heading out the Corbally road towards Larkins Cross you can turn right and head over the back way to UL and back in along the River bank.  Will give you a 10KM loop.  A really nice run.  Pavement all the way to Larkins Cross, then quiet country road as far as the turn to the UL pitches (Old Joey Hannon Tri route).  Then back towards the UL Rowing Club and onto the river bank run (No Traffic).

Hey, thanks a mill for this its really helpful! Is it suitable for evening time and well lite? Great to have a map to guide me, going to take a trip in over xmass and suss it out!

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be an evening run in the winter months.  Road not lit from Larkins cross to the back pitches in UL.  But when it is bright it is a lovely route.  You can extend it out in the dryer months and run on past Larkins cross, run teh canal bank to Clonlara and head back into UL from there.  This adds on another few KM for you and brings you back onto the rad just before the turn off back towards the back of UL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I'm probably too paranoid, but I think that run from Larkin's cross (a few bends to be navigated first) is a little too secluded for a solo run when you turn off for UL. The actual walking path (rather than the road) is even lovelier, but I think there was a brief history of a flasher in that area a few years back.

Also, UL has had a few cases of girls being attacked in more secluded areas. Yeah, I know - bit of a downer, but best to appraise of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Also, UL has had a few cases of girls being attacked in more secluded areas.

Is this really true or just scaremongering?

I'm a girl, well a 35 year old women, I cycle and run in UL very early in the morning and late at night. Have been doing this daily for the last 4 years and never once had any issue. It's very safe imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mimojo wrote: »
    Hey, thanks a mill for this its really helpful! Is it suitable for evening time and well lite? Great to have a map to guide me, going to take a trip in over xmass and suss it out!

Not lit at all from Larkin's Cross until you get to UL, and for a while, on the riverbank you'll be running on a path that's flattened earth and not that wide.

Lovely during the day though.

I have been running around UL at ridiculous hours in the morning for years along the river and on the back route from Larkins cross.  Never once came across any bit of trouble.
    I did have about 10 drunk students cheer a group of us on while we did sprint repeats one summer morning while out in the track.  Turned out to be a bit of a laugh with them to be honest.  Helped pass the time and pain that morning.
    Honestly, only thing I ever pass when running around those areas are other runners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Is this really true or just scaremongering?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2054851563 albeit from 12 years ago. I've heard people saying that a lot more goes on in UL than gets publicised, but I've no evidence beyond hearsay.

I doubt UL has any problem greater than any other college campus.

When I looked to see if I could find anything on the flasher reported a couple of years back I found this. Unlikely to be the same person.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/limerick-gardai-man-naked-university-10943978

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

along the canal/riverbank to UL is very nice. or along to canal/riverbank to Corbally/Westbury is nice as well but a bit shorter (to Athlunkard Bridge). the UL riverbank route is also lit up.

But there are a lot of running routes & trails around UL itself, around the northside of the campuss especially.

Another good route would be along the 3 bridges and up the Condell Road. You could do a loop of the 3birdges which is nice & has good views of the city & castle. https://www.limerick.ie/discover/eat-see-do/sports-recreation/activities/walking-routes/three-bridges-walking-route

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Try this website for running routes in you area.
    There's a few running clubs and smaller groups that meet around the city if you wanted to find a group to run with. Also there's a group that meet every Tue & Thur at UL track for intervals and reps.
    All abilities catered for. Joe Chawke of Doneen AC runs it. Just show up around 645pm for a 15 min warm up. Joe leads the session then from 7pm.
    You'll easily fall in with a group here, everyone is pretty sound there.

Thanks for all the replies all, really helpful. Going to suss out some of the routes over xmass. I am a lapsed runner so feel like I am starting from scratch a bit, but once I have a few months under my belt would certainly like to consider a running group. Sound like there are plenty of suitable routes which is great. Hoping to just leave car parked at work in Corbally and go from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Try Cratloe woods for some very good, but hilly, trail running. You’ll want to have some miles under the belt before going there. Obviously daylight hours only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I do a lot of running around the city. My favourite runs are city centre to along the canal bank and out to UL. Sometimes I'd run around the campus a few times, or go up to the track for a few laps before heading back in to the city, again via the canal and river path. The great advantage of this route is that it is flat, but a lot of it is in a very natural landscape with no traffic to deal with. It can be busy with walkers, especially at weekends, but it's not much of a problem. I'd rate this as one of the better urban running routes in the country.

Another favourite is running from the city out to Clonmacken or Coonagh along the Condell Road. There's a nice path there that's segregrated from and elevated above the main road, so it feels more comfortable than other urban routes, and you don't have to cross any roads. The traffic is light enough most of the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Advertisement