Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmet Cam? Which one for christmas.

• 18-12-2017 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭

I've probably left this a wee bit late but what's a decent helmet cam for about 150 euros? Trying to find a present for dad. I'll have to get one in a shop probably a bit late for Amazon etc.

There's a load of budget GoPro lookalikes on Argos but I'm wondering if they've a helmet sticky mount and if they any do loop recording (much like a dashcam)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

If ya got me one of those things i'd disown ya.....:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I've probably left this a wee bit late but what's a decent helmet cam for about 150 euros?

A real GoPro - https://shop.gopro.com/EMEA/cameras/hero-session/CHDHS-102-master.html

Session is small, handy, comes with many options and is great quality.

Many shops have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Funnily enough I just won a GoPro Hero 5 at work, used it today for the first time.

Stuck on with the adhesive and holds solid, but still terrified it'll come off. 25 minute spin this morning and the quality is very good. Well happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Funnily enough I just won a GoPro Hero 5 at work, used it today for the first time.

Stuck on with the adhesive and holds solid, but still terrified it'll come off. 25 minute spin this morning and the quality is very good. Well happy with it.

The 3M pads that come with them are good for up to 5 kilos. I've been using them for years and never had one come off yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sonics2k wrote: »

Yeah, I have a TomTom Bandit, and I was worried about losing all those €€€ bouncing down the road.....I had to return the helmet for a warranty claim and......couldn't get the damn bracket off ! QED methinks ! :D

Only downside to the Tom Tom Bandit (apart from the price), is does not support looping. (which would be useful)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Drift Stealth 2 looks good

The Big Problem I've found with the GoPro is is mounts are Crap for a motorcycle helmet (IE if you're travelling at speed)
    Drift mounts on the side of the Helmet nicely without causing to much wind resistance and doesn't upset the balance of the Helmet to much either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

grahambo wrote: »
    Drift Stealth 2 looks good

The Big Problem I've found with the GoPro is is mounts are Crap for a motorcycle helmet (IE if you're travelling at speed)
    Drift mounts on the side of the Helmet nicely without causing to much wind resistance and doesn't upset the balance of the Helmet to much either.

I have the Tom Tom Bandit on the side of my Shark EvoOne flip-up. doesn't interfere with the flip-up function.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

Drift stealth 2 all day long at that price point. Works out of the box, takes larger cards and is already waterproof. Takes standard 1/4 inch mounts so will go on anywhere.

Gopros are overpriced garbage. Get him a clone of a gopro if you find one on ebay, the sj4000 is supposed to be good if you can find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D3V!L wrote: »
    The 3M pads that come with them are good for up to 5 kilos. I've been using them for years and never had one come off yet.

What about at speed?
    I want to stick a few videos on YouTube of me going up and down the road outside my house, on one wheel while bouncing off the 300kph speed limiter.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Drift stealth 2 all day long at that price point. Works out of the box, takes larger cards and is already waterproof. Takes standard 1/4 inch mounts so will go on anywhere.

Gopros are overpriced garbage. Get him a clone of a gopro if you find one on ebay, the sj4000 is supposed to be good if you can find it.

What’s your audio setup with the Drift?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

thos wrote: »
    What’s your audio setup with the Drift?

I don't use the audio on the stealth, it has an internal mic only. I use a Drift Ghost S for most stuff with the external mic. That's a little spendier than the 150 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

SJ Cams are supposed to be as good as go pro at a fraction of the cost..

My missus gave me a Fly360 camera for my bike. It does 360 video all with one lense. Can't wait to get out and try it.

Zipppy wrote: »
    SJ Cams are supposed to be as good as go pro at a fraction of the cost..

Seen as I have both I feel I can comment on this.

No,they are not.

Picture is acceptable on the SJ but not as good as go pro.
    Sound on the go pro is leagues ahead.
    Battery on go pro is also far far superior.
    I get 4 hours on battery on my go pro.
    The SJ battery goes to shìte after a few months and I have seen batteries that have been plugged into cig socket swell inside of the cam.

My go pro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

blade1 wrote:
    My go pro

That's excellent quality frm the go pro..I've taken lots of vids on my bike using a cheaper version (not SJ) and was ****e compared to that...was gonna get an SJ but better consider a go pro now :)

That's actually the entry level go pro.
    It was €119 I think and is not available anymore.
    Quality (720p) looks way better on my laptop before upload to YouTube.
    There is no screen on it so I suppose that why battery life is so good on it.

I have 4 cams.
    I have a fake sj4000 and a genuine one and there is very little in the difference between the two.
    Fake sj4000 from a few years ago

And one more of my go pro
    Dark tinted screen on bike so not as clear as could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

My missus gave me a Fly360 camera for my bike. It does 360 video all with one lense. Can't wait to get out and try it.

Have you had a chance to try this yet? Any good?

erica74 wrote: »
    Have you had a chance to try this yet? Any good?

Yes and its rubbish , I asked her to send it back. It was so bad you actually couldn't make out the faces of people in a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Yes and its rubbish , I asked her to send it back. It was so bad you actually couldn't make out the faces of people in a room.

Oh fuck! Thanks for letting us know, I was looking for an honest review on it.

Advertisement