Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500k in savings .. what to do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If everyone is investing in something, do the opposite.

invest in everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I've 600,000 saved any ideas for me
    (Edit) I ment 600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I can understand the logic behind asking forums for advice, it can't hurt (well it can but only if you follow it)

But looking at this rationally you must have earned circa 100k per year since your late 20's (after tax) ? Would that be right?

So in order to reach that level you must surely have a good accountant and a good financial advisor?

So what did they advise?

I don't mean to be rude, and I fully appreciate the asking around thing, but you don't get too many people who can whip up half a mill in savings by early 30's who take to Boards to seek financial advice about what to do next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

500k in savings, and it sounds like a good idea to ask complete strangers on an Internet forum what to do with it

If you have that much money, get professional advice

I'm just passing through and this post caught my eye.
    My thinking would be that every "professional" advisor you go to has an agenda and a product to sell. None of them are truly independent, but all of them have one goal, their profit margin.
    How many people were told to invest in property 5 minutes before the crash because the advisor was either A: the typical cowboy just peddling his particular product to make a quick buck and no clue beyond that or B: were unscrupulous sharks who knew what was coming but were out to make a few more quid before the sh1t the fan.
    When faced with the above, I'd go with randomers on the internet any day. Way too many so called "professionals" promised a soft landing and "the cheapest bailout ever" back in 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    invest in everything?

As in everyone is investing in Bitcoin, so don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My thinking would be that every "professional" advisor you go to has an agenda and a product to sell. None of them are truly independent, but all of them have one goal, their profit margin.
    Sorry, but that's not true. Authorised advisors give fee-based independent financial advice based on the client's individual circumstances.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money/getting-financial-advice/choosing-a-financial-adviser/

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/financial-advice-ireland-917956-May2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

As in everyone is investing in Bitcoin, so don't.

Wise words today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

How many people were told to invest in property 5 minutes before the crash because the advisor was either A: the typical cowboy just peddling his particular product to make a quick buck and no clue beyond that or B: were unscrupulous sharks who knew what was coming but were out to make a few more quid before the sh1t the fan.
    When faced with the above, I'd go with randomers on the internet any day. Way too many so called "professionals" promised a soft landing and "the cheapest bailout ever" back in 2008.

True to a small degree but isn't that how the entire world works?

Drop your dog into the vet, you're trusting the vet

Kids into doctors, you're trusting the doctors.

Kids at school, you're trusting teachers.

Bad vets exist, doctors are only human, and then there's teachers.

Financial advisers are the same. They come in all forms.

But at least they're qualified and should have more of a notion than me and tom and harry, which is what you're getting when you seek advice on the web

Or just DIY. Nobody to blame then.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Invest in the dairy industry like everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Buy a new Volkswagen California Campervan for 75K

Join Couchsurfing. Invite nice people to travel with you.

Head South in Winter and North in Summer.

You will look back on the 10 fun filled years you will have and know you invested wisely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You must only be working for few years, what is it you do to save that much so fast. Lots of people can make a lot of money, but then spend it on living.

Advertisement