Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volume in the drive c is system reserved

Options
  • 18-12-2017 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭

Here's an annoying problem I've encountered. My Windows 7 laptop is stuck in some sort of reboot loop. I can get to the command prompt and I discover that my files are now in a drive called D and when I dir the c drive I get the message in the thread title. I can't boot windows 7 even from a cd.
    The hard drive must be physically ok as I can see all my files and even copy them to a usb stick which I suppose is something to be grateful for.

Any solutions for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

First get you data of it while you can.

To boot to CD try disconnect data cable from HDD/SDD - usually PC boot into CD/DVD as II'nd boot option.

Ooops, scratch that ... missed "laptop".

How you getting CMD, are you able to get into BIOS?
    Can you boot from USB?

And how you got to this state altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try Startup Repair, booting from a DVD. I suspect the system reserved partition may be corrupted. This may also be a sign of a failing disk, so backup any data you need while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I don't know how I ended up like this, I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, I actually think I was on boards! I left it running while I was doing something else and when I came back 10 minutes later it was hibernating and then when I tried to waken it up that's when it started doing this unable to boot thing.

I can get to the command prompt via F4 and repair options at startup. That will show I'm in x: drive. So naturally I go to c: and dir and thats when I get the system reserved thing. D: will take me to what was once my c: and all my stuff is there including Windows. I guess I have to somehow rename the c: as something else and then change d: to c: but how?

Extra frustratingly I got to safe mode via F8 last night and that opened ok with my desktop etc. Then this morning I went back at it for another crack and now safe mode won't go past a black screen with "safe mode" in the 4 corners.

Sounds like your disk could be at the end of a days, windows craped up for sure.
    Firs get your data out if you can.

Once able to get to repair options go ahead as it was suggested ...
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Try Startup Repair, booting from a DVD. I suspect the system reserved partition may be corrupted. This may also be a sign of a failing disk, so backup any data you need while you can.

CMD you getting is in WinPE (that is why you see X:\windows\system32) and in this environment letters might/do differ from what you see in Windows
    Read this through:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/17101/windows-7-system-recovery-options
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-do-i-automatically-repair-windows-problems-2624907

• Advertisement
Advertisement