Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking issue

Options
  • 18-12-2017 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

This might sound petty but I'm pi $sed off at the moment.

We own our house 8 years which has a 1 car driveway. We own 2 cars.

Rented house next door to us has no driveway as there is a lamppost on the footpath. Therefore, it leaves half a car space on the path before our driveway begins. On the opposite side of the lamppost, there is a long path 4 houses in length.

Anycar that parks to the left of our house ends up parking over our driveway so for the past 8 years we have always parked one of our cars there and the other in our driveway as we can manoeuvre them to gain access etc

Since March, the house next door has been rented and they have a large car which is the same brand as mine, which they park to left of our driveway, (which is technically outside their house) however it is a public road with no road markings and as I said, they park over our driveway from the passage door back.

It's tricky for us to get into our driveway as a result, and when we have to park behind them, We go across our neighbours driveway.

I came home last week in the late evening and they had fully parked across my driveway completely blocking access. I had to double park and knock, to which I received the reply of "well we are having our dinner so we will move when ready and anyway, We did knock earlier but there was no answer".

This really annoyed me. I had a toddler screaming in the back of my car. If they only parked the opposite side of the lamppost, they would still be outside their house.

I'm assuming it is because I have my driveway dipped that it's easy access to drive up onto the footpath.

Tonight, we were parked in the driveway and across the front of driveway and neighbour knocked telling us to move our car from the front of our driveway so she can park.

My husband explained that we weren't blocking anyone and was told they wanted to park outside their house. Failing to cop on they still can.

We have explained that they are parking over our driveway and sometimes blocking access and they are not listening.

I'm thinking of getting gates installed which will have to open outwards which will prevent anyone from parking there.

This neighbour has been parking across other neighbours driveway and from the sounds of things, are blaming us. When in fact we aren't blocking anyone.

Any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you contact their landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

kbannon wrote: »
    Can you contact their landlord?

I said this to my husband tonight that if they keep knocking on my door, I was going to contact the landlord.

This would be a last resort as I don't like confrontation and get on great with my other neighbours.

My husband was assertive enough to them tonight when they knocked, and she seemed to get a bit of a shock but then told him to move my car and I can park behind her. We didn't move it anyway but I just can't see this issue being resolved without getting nasty, which I don't want

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

cruais wrote: »
    I said this to my husband tonight that if they keep knocking on my door, I was going to contact the landlord.

This would be a last resort as I don't like confrontation and get on great with my neighbours.

some people are just assholes, do they not realise they are blocking you in?

some people are just assholes, do they not realise they are blocking you in?

She is inconsiderate. She parked across a neighbours driveway the other day as she doesn't have a car, but when the neighbours daughter pulled up in her car, she also couldn't gain access.

They also parked across another neighbours house which is under construction. The builders couldn't gain access either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just park outside her house, have your husband park outside yours...

in reality, its something for the landlord to sort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Sounds like you need to talk to the council about double yellow lines and marked parking spots with enforcement as appropriate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Contact the Garda I.
    They can have a car lifted that’s blocking a driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm thinking of getting gates installed which will have to open outwards which will prevent anyone from parking there.
    Don't think this is an option unfortunately. If I'm imagining the situation correctly this would involve blocking the path and part of the public road.

Also they sound like they wouldn't hesitate to close them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It's illegal to block access to a driveway. If it happens again call the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's illegal to block access to a driveway. If it happens again call the guards.

Take photos as it might take the Garai some time to arrive when they might have moved and it won't be as convincing if the neighbours deny it.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Don't think this is an option unfortunately. If I'm imagining the situation correctly this would involve blocking the path and part of the public road.

Also they sound like they wouldn't hesitate to close them.

Wouldn't leave them open. Was thinking along the lines of when I open the gates to leave the driveway they would need to be opened fully and if their car was their I wouldn't be able to do it.

Exhausting all avenues trying to think of a solution..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Bull by the horns. Next time they block your access they need to be fcuked out of it from a height. I've had my fill of idiots parking over the years and being nice works sometimes but for inconsiderate pricks then they only understand a good bollocking. Tell them if they block your drive again you will not be asking them to move but it'll be the garda at their door.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

We fell out with our next door neighbours precisely over this. First night in the house, I had to knock and ask for a car to be moved. This happened on and off for years. Sometimes we were blocked In, sometimes blocked out. Total pain. I was blocked in early one Sat morning and when I knocked, there was no apology, there never was. So one evening when I was outside, I mentioned it to yerman. Took him by surprise and even had him agreeing with me. So as has been mentioned, take photos, build a case & if you're blocked in, ring the Gardai, explain that you know they've better things to be doing etc . They came round to me a couple of times. I'm only sorry I didn't do it years earlier. The particular family concerned are nowhere near as popular as they think they are.

Similar situation again today. Our car in our driveway and the 2nd one across our driveway.

Neighbours are standing at their front window watching us go in and out of our cars and also got a knock on our door a few minutes ago. We didn't answer. I'm finding it very intimidating now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This would be a last resort as I don't like confrontation and get on great with my other neighbours.

Sometimes in life there just has to be a confrontation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Similar situation again today. Our car in our driveway and the 2nd one across our driveway.

Neighbours are standing at their front window watching us go in and out of our cars and also got a knock on our door a few minutes ago. We didn't answer. I'm finding it very intimidating now.

Would you be able to put up a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm a bit confused tbh. If you're packed across your drive why cant they pack a bit further up. If ye are all parking on the path then that needs to stop anyway.

We all park in or across our drives here and there is no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you are blocked in just call the Gardai.

ted1 wrote: »
    If you are blocked in just call the Gardai.

I read it as their car across their own drive but I stand to be corrected.

I read it as their car across their own drive but I stand to be corrected.
    Sounds like the neighbours are waiting to block them in first opportunity though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

We had a similar problem a few years back and could never get it sorted, the guards were lazy about it and just left it to us to sort out "as neighbours", the guy was a bit of a bully type and every time my wife said it too him about the parking, he would do it even more for a week....................until one night someone put his windscreen and headlights in, we could never find the culprit but it did stop the parking issue.

Firstly paths are for pedestrians and not cars but okay it's very narrow.

Tell the neighbor to sod off (politely) and if he blocks your drive again, even partially, call the guards. That or put up with it frankly and try and reach a compromise.

You didn't put the lampost there and also see point 1.

Also could they not get a tank in there between you and the post let alone a smallish family car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Apply to council for planning permission for a double driveway and have the footpath adjusted accordingly.
    Rented house next door to us has no driveway as there is a lamppost on the footpath.
    Ask council to move lamp post.
    Anycar that parks to the left of our house ends up parking over our driveway
    This is an offence, unless you agree to it.
    It's tricky for us to get into our driveway as a result, and when we have to park behind them, We go across our neighbours driveway.
    So don't do this.
    I'm assuming it is because I have my driveway dipped that it's easy access to drive up onto the footpath.
    Parking on the footpath is an offence.
    I'm thinking of getting gates installed which will have to open outwards
    You have no right to do this - and it wouldn't work anyway.
    Any advice?
    Sell a car and get a (cargo) bike.

Would you not fit 2 cars in your driveway? It's would be a bit tight but might cut down on the juggling. Wouldn't stop them parking across you but might be easier.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Would you not fit 2 cars in your driveway? It's would be a bit tight but might cut down on the juggling. Wouldn't stop them parking across you but might be easier.

Thought that myself but it does look a bit narrow, next door would the defo be blocking one car in and sometimes planning only allows one car, like my stupidly large drive which is only allowed one car (who is checking I guess).

Did think they could move down a smidgen too but why should they put up with their drive partially blocked I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I don’t see how they could block the driveway. Plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They likely leave space at the front, to avoid someone shunting them into the lamp post / so they can get out.

Victor wrote: »
    They likely leave space at the front, to avoid someone shunting them into the lamp post / so they can get out.

That's precisely it. They leave a lot of space for them to get out which results in their back passenger door onwards across our driveway. They have the same car as me so you will see it's quite long.

Thanks for advice folks. I'm just going to continue park the way we do as we aren't obstructing anyone.

• Advertisement

1st picture is of my car across front of my driveway and the 2nd picture is the space to the left of my driveway which is outside my neighbours house which I am not parking near.

If you can see the opposite side of the lamppost is also outside my neighbours house but their next door neighbours like to park their car there which is not my fault and my neighbour wants me to move my car from the front of my driveway
    Why can't they park the other side of the lamp post?

Advertisement