Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking issue

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

cruais wrote: »
    1st picture is of my car across front of my driveway and the 2nd picture is the space to the left of my driveway which is outside my neighbours house which I am not parking near.

If you can see the opposite side of the lamppost is also outside my neighbours house but their next door neighbours like to park their car there which is not my fault and my neighbour wants me to move my car from the front of my driveway

I would say advise them that their car is too long to park there without blocking your drive, propose they park far side of lamp post but be firm and say if it continues you will have no option but to contact landlord and gardai.

Chances are they wont want to have issues with their landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Patww79 wrote: »
    Then they'd just end up with both cars blocked in.
    True... I can't stand people parking on footpaths though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

TheChizler wrote:
    True... I can't stand people parking on footpaths though!

Especially two cars on footpaths directly opposite each other, as in the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Just looking at those photos, if you moved your potplants would you not have room for both cars side by side ? You've a double drive no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why don't you pull the vw up to the left in photo and leave your drive clear???

Because most of that space is in front of his neighbours house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ginger83 wrote: »

Its a public road though. And no one else can get in there anyhow.

Its not their property outside the gate even if they were owners.

I could park there if I wanted.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Its a public road though. And no one else can get in there anyhow.

I take your point but the neighbour would only block his drive and a row would be a cert when asked to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you call the Gardai they'll ticket people for parking on the footpath first and foremost. Fish in a barrel and all that.

Op is your estate managed by any chance?

Caranica wrote: »
    If you call the Gardai they'll ticket people for parking on the footpath first and foremost. Fish in a barrel and all that.

Op is your estate managed by any chance?

It ain't a managed estate it would be a public road.

cruais wrote: »
    That's precisely it. They leave a lot of space for them to get out which results in their back passenger door onwards across our driveway. They have the same car as me so you will see it's quite long.

Thanks for advice folks. I'm just going to continue park the way we do as we aren't obstructing anyone.

Can the neighbour not pull up beside the lamp post while still having room to get out of their car?

I take your point but the neighbour would only block his drive and a row would be a cert when asked to move.

What's the difference they block it anyway.

Vw should be pulled up to the left of photo leaves drive free job done.

If you buy or want to live in an estate like such you have to be prepared to park in different spots nobody has rights to park outside their home.

Only is it a legal issue if drive is blocked.

Suggest to your neighbours landlord that they pave part of their front garden and increase the sale and rental value of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Micky8728

Some neighbours are just a##holes.

What's the difference they block it anyway.

Vw should be pulled up to the left of photo leaves drive free job done.

If you buy or want to live in an estate like such you have to be prepared to park in different spots nobody has rights to park outside their home.

Only is it a legal issue if drive is blocked.

I agree but even though 80% of space is outside next door you want neighbour to p off elsewhere.

Micky8728 wrote: »
    Some neighbours are just a##holes.

+1

We have grass outside ours to road edge and fxxxers keep driving on it.

I agree but even though 80% of space is outside next door you want neighbour to p off elsewhere.

Why not... There isn't enough space either way....

Every house in the estate has to do exactly that anyway unless they placed a drive in as these houses wouldn't have come with any.

If you are so childish and self entitled then put in a drive.

I've had myy tyres deflated, tyre caps taken etc for parking on public roads outside houses but I will add not blocking a drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It ain't a managed estate it would be a public road.

So rules of the road apply and they're both breaking the law by parking on the footpath? They only have a leg to stand on when you're obeying the law. Looks like theyboth need to re-examine their parking provision.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I don’t see how they could block the driveway. Plenty of space.

A normal saloon car will not fit in the gap between the OP’s car and the lamp post to the front.

So rules of the road apply and they're both breaking the law by parking on the footpath? They only have a leg to stand on when you're obeying the law. Looks like theyboth need to re-examine their parking provision.

There are certain areas and that where these laws don't apply.... Well they are not enforced.

I've been to many and yet where I am at the moment you can't park anywhere without been done.

Sometimes you have to decide between following the law 100% and being aware of your surroundings. If both cars on both sides of the road parked on the road, then a fire tender or ambulance would not fit down the road.

Parking 2 feet onto an 8 foot path is the lesser of 2 evils in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

That's the way we always parked and I was asked to move my car by the neighbour so they could park outside their house. So now I have to park directly in front of my driveway which is pointless as there is still no room to fit another car in front.

Yes I know technically my car is illegally parked as it's part on footpath outside my driveway, however this road is not wide enough to have cars parked on the road itself as the house were built in 1920s and were classed as cart roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

What width is your driveway OP? To me it looks as though you could move the potted plants off the drive and remove the flower bed to the left into the photo & it would be wide enough to park both cars . It might be worth throwing a few quid at it in order to be able to park both your cars on your drive. It would make your life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kceire wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to decide between following the law 100% and being aware of your surroundings. If both cars on both sides of the road parked on the road, then a fire tender or ambulance would not fit down the road.

Parking 2 feet onto an 8 foot path is the lesser of 2 evils in my opinion.
    Or people could take personal responsibility and park on their own property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Victor wrote: »
    Or people could take personal responsibility and park on their own property.

Many streets don’t have off street car parking. Some streets, you cannot even get off street car parking through the planning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kceire wrote: »
    Many streets don’t have off street car parking. Some streets, you cannot even get off street car parking through the planning process.
    This street has off-street parking.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    This street has off-street parking.

Not all houses on this street have off street car parking.

Advertisement