Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My landlord has given property back to bank

• 18-12-2017 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Ive been renting an apartment for 2years now. I've never had overdue rent or ever missed a payment, safe to say i kept to myself. No issues.

So I find out Im pregnant and my partner moves in (Landlord was told and said there was no issue and she'd call to renew the lease) That was in April. She finally called in October! Said they've drawn up a new lease as a new tenant had moved in and I had my baby AND that they decided to up the rent by €300 - to which I argued as we are in a rent restricted zone.

After some "research" we make an agreement on rent (its not higher by much but we're just able to scrape it) we sign the new lease thats been drawn up and she's on her merry way.

Two weeks later she rings up says they've given the apartment back to the bank and the bank would be in contact with me soon. I had to contact her again at the end of November about paying rent as I hadnt heard from anyone at the bank. She tells me to hang onto the money because Im not paying them anymore and to wait to hear from the bank about making payments.

Alas still no call from the bank! What do I do? Ive just signed a new lease.. is that void now because the landlords out of the picture? And if so can the bank evict us? Im dreading a notice coming in the door in the new year.

Does anyone have experience with this or have any information to share?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Surely if you have a lease, then having a partner move in is no business of the landlord?

It would be different if you were subletting it.

Landlord was chancing her arm.

I'd be looking for professional advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭oceanman

definitely sounds very strange alright..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Surely if you have a lease, then having a partner move in is no business of the landlord?

It's not unusual for a lease to specify the occupiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Katie_OC

She's was def chancing her arm.

Ive been to citizens advice already, they weren't very helpful they just kept assuring me that id have 'X' amount of days notice if I did have to leave.

I've heard tsb are taking properties back from landlords to clear off debts (or something) Thats well and good for the lanlords but the tenants are left in limbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

sounds like your landlord has fallen into the unfortunate trap many are where the rent isn't covering the mortgage and given up. Im sure the bank will be along but I'm sure your landlord just wants to move on at this stage. By giving you a new lease the landlord has actually probably done you a favour and bought you time.

• Advertisement

sounds like your landlord has fallen into the unfortunate trap many are where the rent isn't covering the mortgage and given up. Im sure the bank will be along but I'm sure your landlord just wants to move on at this stage. By giving you a new lease the landlord has actually probably done you a favour and bought you time.

I was thinking the same, but I never got to make a payment under the new lease so i hope that it hasnt affected it it some way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Katie_OC wrote: »
    I was thinking the same, but I never got to make a payment under the new lease so i hope that it hasnt affected it it some way!

keep all the money and be prepared to hand it over to the bank.

I'd be sending a text / email saying that you wish to pay the rent, even if it is to her solicitor to hold in a client account.

That will ensure that non payment of rent cannot be used against you.

Possibly it is a ptsb mortgage and she's taken their generous offer.

keep all the money and be prepared to hand it over to the bank.

Oh I have it put away. Its laying idle and people are getting pretty brutal xmas presents I'm dying to dip out of it BUT havn't!

My main concern is being told to leave. I cant find affordable accomodation elsewhere. We're scraping by as it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Put money aside in a separate bank account. Short notice, but instant Access.
    Worst case scenario, you're asked to vacate and pay back rent.
    Best case scenario you're asked to vacate and you're not asked to backpay.

In the meantime, I'd ask your now previous landlord to do a reference for you in case you need to be ready to go

• Advertisement

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I'd be sending a text / email saying that you wish to pay the rent, even if it is to her solicitor to hold in a client account.

That will ensure that non payment of rent cannot be used against you.

Possibly it is a ptsb mortgage and she's taken their generous offer.

Ive tried that already she said she wouldnt accept payments from me, but to keep texts and email as proof that I was trying to make payments to someone- for when the bank do eventually come around.

Ive tried that already she said she wouldnt accept payments from me, but to keep texts and email as proof that I was trying to make payments to someone- for when the bank do eventually come around.

If that's her response, then she's probably genuine.

As above, keep the funds separate somehow. Maybe credit union account.

Banks can be slow to move on things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Put money aside in a separate bank account. Short notice, but instant Access.
    Worst case scenario, you're asked to vacate and pay back rent.
    Best case scenario you're asked to vacate and you're not asked to backpay.

In the meantime, I'd ask your now previous landlord to do a reference for you in case you need to be ready to go

If you are asked to vacate at all I wouldn't be paying any back rent. I'd only be paying back rent if the banks signed a new lease under RPZ rules.

Don't panic about being evicted before Christmas or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Katie_OC wrote:
    My main concern is being told to leave. I cant find affordable accomodation elsewhere. We're scraping by as it is!

The bank will inevitably want to sell the property as they are not in the business of being landlords and will want to realize the capital. But they may ask for a short rental agreement until they are ready. You should get advise from the RTB about the scenario where you can't be evicted because the owner hasn't sold the property, but where it is being repossessed.
    Yawns wrote:
    If you are asked to vacate at all I wouldn't be paying any back rent. I'd only be paying back rent if the banks signed a new lease under RPZ rules.

+1 on this. The changeover has muddied the waters where rent is concerned and you should wait until the back either give you a fixed term lease or notice of eviction. If the latter then let them whistle for back rent. As far as you are concerned, your lease is currently with your landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hi Ive been renting an apartment for 2years now. I've never had overdue rent or ever missed a payment, safe to say i kept to myself. No issues.

So I find out Im pregnant and my partner moves in (Landlord was told and said there was no issue and she'd call to renew the lease) That was in April. She finally called in October! Said they've drawn up a new lease as a new tenant had moved in and I had my baby AND that they decided to up the rent by €300 - to which I argued as we are in a rent restricted zone.

After some "research" we make an agreement on rent (its not higher by much but we're just able to scrape it) we sign the new lease thats been drawn up and she's on her merry way.

Two weeks later she rings up says they've given the apartment back to the bank and the bank would be in contact with me soon. I had to contact her again at the end of November about paying rent as I hadnt heard from anyone at the bank. She tells me to hang onto the money because Im not paying them anymore and to wait to hear from the bank about making payments.

Alas still no call from the bank! What do I do? Ive just signed a new lease.. is that void now because the landlords out of the picture? And if so can the bank evict us? Im dreading a notice coming in the door in the new year.

Does anyone have experience with this or have any information to share?

Op just hold onto that rent money and hope that the bank is very very slow when dealing with the property.

They will do one of 3 things.
    1. Issue eviction without asking for rent payment. Big win for you.
    2. Issue eviction and ask for rent payment. No big deal because you have kept the money.
    3. Issue you with a temporary rental agreement and you go on paying the agreed rent.

NOTE: From your email it implied you might have agreed to pay more than the 4% allowed increase. Is this the case? If so then you can fight this with the bank again to lower your rent if they want to rent it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Op just hold onto that rent money and hope that the bank is very very slow when dealing with the property.

They will do one of 3 things.
    1. Issue eviction without asking for rent payment. Big win for you.
    2. Issue eviction and ask for rent payment. No big deal because you have kept the money.
    3. Issue you with a temporary rental agreement and you go on paying the agreed rent. ...
    I think this is sound advice.

Just one wrinkle: the original landlord has probably retained OP's deposit (and, I suppose, might not be willing or able to refund it). While the bank has not clear liability in relation to the deposit, I gather that it often happens that they stump up in order to achieve an amicable parting.

[I imagine OP would not raise the question of the deposit if the bank goes for option 1.]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP have a look at the various threads on receivers. There is some good advice there and on what to expect. I wouldn't worry about it too much in the very short term, the LL is being above board by the sounds of it and banks know they're on notice not to take the piss lest new laws be introduced to deal with these situations.

On the LL wanting to know who is in the gaffe:

RTA 2004

Chapter 2

Provisions regarding tenant's obligations

Obligations of tenants.

16.—In addition to the obligations arising by or under any other enactment, a tenant of a dwelling shall

(n) notify in writing the landlord of the identity of each person (other than a multiple tenant) who, for the time being, resides ordinarily in the dwelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

I think this is sound advice.

Just one wrinkle: the original landlord has probably retained OP's deposit (and, I suppose, might not be willing or able to refund it). While the bank has not clear liability in relation to the deposit, I gather that it often happens that they stump up in order to achieve an amicable parting.

[I imagine OP would not raise the question of the deposit if the bank goes for option 1.]

I was thinking the same thing about the deposit,

Advertisement