Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does TESCO use home delivery as clearance outlet?

Options
  • 18-12-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have been shopping at TESCO for ages for their food quality despite the expensive prices for many of their items.
    Recently, I have started using their home delivery, the service is great and on time but I quite often have problem with the fresh food items, the fruits they bring sometimes is worse than the worst I saw in their store! It’s not like it just tastes bad, it even look off color and too ripe!
    I wrote to TESCO about it but they never replied!
    I wonder if any one has a similar experience!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I have been shopping at TESCO for ages for their food quality despite the expensive prices for many of their items.
    Recently, I have started using their home delivery, the service is great and on time but I quite often have problem with the fresh food items, the fruits they bring sometimes is worse than the worst I saw in their store! It’s not like it just tastes bad, it even look off color and too ripe!
    I wrote to TESCO about it but they never replied!
    I wonder if any one has a similar experience!

Thanks

I'm an Ex Tesco (dotcom) Delivery Driver.

Everything that is selected and delivered to the customer comes directly from the shop floor in the same way as if you were to do the shop yourself.

To be truthful with you, and i have witnessed this myself, the pickers aren't fussy about what they pick up just as long as it is the item requested.

Have you rang customer service?

The phone number is on the top right hand side of the receipt, don't forget to quote your customer number when phoning.

It's a UK based call centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you don't say that the fruit, or other perishables, needs to be fresh they'll pick whatever is easy. If you specify that you want the fruit fresh they'll pick fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you don't say that the fruit, or other perishables, needs to be fresh they'll pick whatever is easy. If you specify that you want the fruit fresh they'll pick fresh.

What so the sell fruit that isnt fresh??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I do my shopping I am very picky about the fruit/veg/meat/etc I get. But some people would land anything in the trolley. It's the same with the people selecting the items for your online shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

To be fair any time I have used it has been fine
    A couple of years ago everything was out same day and got a refund.
    My epic fail is when i ordered medium tights. They came in xxl and i could've knotted them over my head (im 5 6)

• Advertisement

Nesta99 wrote: »
    What so the sell fruit that isnt fresh??

They restock daily and put the oldest items to the front. If you just ask for a perishable item they pick from the front, if you specify that you want fresh they pick from the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 inquisitive36

I'm an Ex Tesco (dotcom) Delivery Driver.

Everything that is selected and delivered to the customer comes directly from the shop floor in the same way as if you were to do the shop yourself.

To be truthful with you, and i have witnessed this myself, the pickers aren't fussy about what they pick up just as long as it is the item requested.

Have you rang customer service?

The phone number is on the top right hand side of the receipt, don't forget to quote your customer number when phoning.

It's a UK based call centre.

That’s very helpful!
    To be honest, I was a bit enraged by this and more when they don’t respond to queries. So it seems it’s up to the person doing the job, I will try as Del2005 suggested is to specify how I want the fruit to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got Guinness cans once and they were out of date the following week, goodness knows where they found them

TheDriver wrote: »
    I got Guinness cans once and they were out of date the following week, goodness knows where they found them

I would have a fair idea :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Do the odd shop from tesco on line..the weekends I do be working or stuck for time, while majority of the time the products are fresh I have gotten it a few times where the dates and freshness was shocking and obviously picked by someone who didn’t give a ****.
    Now I ask for longest dates possible. No point in delivering meat and veg on a Saturday which is out of date on the Sunday or Monday.

• Advertisement

I will try as Del2005 suggested is to specify how I want the fruit to be.

When you are ordering, there is a section where you can leave a message for the pickers such as a special request on size,ripeness etc.

Also it has been rightly pointed out that the driver is the only face to face contact.

I got ate on the doorstep twice over picker errors, probably more that were of a minor mature, but 2 stick in my memory.

One was putting a packet of firelighters next to a loaf of bread and the other was putting a bottle of Jameson whiskey on top of banana's.

The firelighters were fair enough, but the whiskey :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We started using Tesco Click and Collect recently and we’ve been seriously impressed with the freshness of the fruit and veg and the dates on the dairy, meat etc. The one thing we wouldn’t buy online is bananas. The last bunch never really ripened. Everything else is perfect.

Having said that, they pick from a different store to the one we collect the groceries at and there’s a huge difference between the quality of the fruit and veg in our local store compared to the Click and Collect store.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

(Close to) minimum wage operator under pressure to get stuff picked. In fairness to Tesco not once have they refused to refund something I wasn't happy with.

(Close to) minimum wage operator under pressure to get stuff picked. In fairness to Tesco not once have they refused to refund something I wasn't happy with.

Unsure as to the money the pickers are on, I as a driver was on over €14 an hour.

In hindsight I regret leaving in some ways only for the rubbish contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Unsure as to the money the pickers are on, I as a driver was on over €14 an hour.

In hindsight I regret leaving in some ways only for the rubbish contracts.

I doubt store staff are on €14 an hour but even so there are easier going jobs at c. 30K so I'm not expecting the pickers to be the most conscientious bunch. Nothing against retail staff I was one for almost twenty years. I'd rather be in the van though.

TheDriver wrote: »

Best before is different to use by. The Guinness, and any other best before product, will be perfect for ages after the date.

Even the use by dates on some products is to short, but retailers and producers have to ere on the side of safety so are conservative on dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"Perfect" is extremely questionable with beers. Drinkable yes, but taste profile can change even on pasteurised beer as it ages in a sealed container.

L1011 wrote: »
    "Perfect" is extremely questionable with beers. Drinkable yes, but taste profile can change even on pasteurised beer as it ages in a sealed container.

I’m my Depot, beers were only chilled during the summer if at all, only happened once in my time there during the World Cup.

Perfectly safe to consume after best before, how it tastes is a different matter.

I’m my Depot, beers were only chilled during the summer if at all, only happened once in my time there during the World Cup.

Chilling doesn't impact the taste-life much.

• Advertisement

Chilling doesn't impact the taste-life much.

I don't drink at all at all :o

Alcohol is aseptic and doesn't need chilling to reduce bacterial growth, basically.

Certain flavouring elements degrade over time no matter what, often worse if exposed to light. This can make a beer quite nasty tasting but not unsafe

Spirits are even more stable and only light is a real concern

Advertisement