Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning for

Options
  • 18-12-2017 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭

I was given a warning "on the basis of questioning a mod on thread", which I strongly disagree with. The mod had posted "Please refrain from cross thread baiting thanks", to which I replied that I hoped that applied evenly to other clubs' threads as well. And that is what I was given a warning for. Ridiculous. Where in that comment am I questioning a Mod? I strongly refute this finding and I urge whoever has the authority to lift this warning as soon as possible.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Can you confirm that you discussed this with the moderator who issued the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Can you confirm that you discussed this with the moderator who issued the card?
    I did. He told me that a cmod would be in touch with me. He then changed tack and said I had to start a thread in here. Not impressed by his actions at all.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I will alert the CMods to this thread and one will engage with you in relation to this issue.

It would be helpful if you could, for the purposes of this appeal, simply stick to the relevant facts rather than using it to form an attack against an individual volunteer on the site, which is totally irrelevant to the issue at hand - that being whether you disputed a moderator instruction in-thread or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi blueser,

Can you confirm the forum in question and the mod please, I will take a look.

Also please forward or post here any pm's you exchanged with the mod in relation to this.

Thanks,
    Steve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Got the pm's thank you.

I'll have a reply soon. Apologies, just mad busy trying to get stuff done this week.

• Advertisement

OK, I've reviewed the post and the resultant pms
    You only sent me one side of it, what the moderator said to you and not your replies... however, it's not really relevant what was said there.

What I'm not getting is the basis for you appealing the warning.

Your post:
    blueser wrote: »
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Mod note. Please refrain from cross thread baiting thanks
    I hope that applies evenly to other clubs' threads as well. Some of the anti City stuff on other threads is farcical.

This was clearly a breach of the soccer forum rules (and also sitewide rules) that you don't discuss moderation on thread.

Soccer forum rules thread:
    RULE DISCUSSION: We do not tolerate discussion of moderation, moderation of posts or reportable posts in thread. If you have a problem with the forum rules, PM the mods or message the Cat Mod.

You could have - and well within the rules - sent a pm to the mod to ask for clarification of what was posted.

Please clarify if you have any other reason to think the action was unwarranted (other than you "disagree with the rule")

Otherwise, I will uphold the mod action and we can move on.

Thanks,
    Steve.

Steve wrote: »
    OK, I've reviewed the post and the resultant pms
    You only sent me one side of it, what the moderator said to you and not your replies... however, it's not really relevant what was said there.

What I'm not getting is the basis for you appealing the warning.

Your post:

This was clearly a breach of the soccer forum rules (and also sitewide rules) that you don't discuss moderation on thread.

Soccer forum rules thread:

You could have - and well within the rules - sent a pm to the mod to ask for clarification of what was posted.

Please clarify if you have any other reason to think the action was unwarranted (other than you "disagree with the rule")

Otherwise, I will uphold the mod action and we can move on.

Thanks,
    Steve.
    As a cmod, I'm sure you have access to all the pms. And you did only ask me to send you the pms I'd received. The warning was given (to quote the mod) on the basis that I'd questioned a mod on thread. Which is patently nonsense. The "offending" post is this one;
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105596216&postcount=9840

How on earth that can be interpreted as questioning a mod is beyond me. All I asked is that all threads are subject to the same rules. Which I doubt, but cannot readily prove. Some of the anti-City stuff on other clubs' threads (one club in particular) is pretty risible; "emptihad", oil money, no history, all City fans being former Chelsea fans etc etc. I requested fair treatment; nothing more, nothing less. On this basis, I strongly disagree with your finding. I've also reported several posts in the past few weeks for being "guilty" of the same offences that I've received warnings/bans for. But I never see any action or receive any feedback on my reports.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to be clear mods and CMods have absolutely no access to the PMs of users, and Admins can only see those that are reported by the recipient

This is the only forum where PMs can be disclosed without the express permission of the sender, but only then if relevant to the appeal

blueser wrote: »
    As a cmod, I'm sure you have access to all the pms. And you did only ask me to send you the pms I'd received. The warning was given (to quote the mod) on the basis that I'd questioned a mod on thread. Which is patently nonsense. The "offending" post is this one;
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105596216&postcount=9840

How on earth that can be interpreted as questioning a mod is beyond me. All I asked is that all threads are subject to the same rules. Which I doubt, but cannot readily prove. Some of the anti-City stuff on other clubs' threads (one club in particular) is pretty risible; "emptihad", oil money, no history, all City fans being former Chelsea fans etc etc. I requested fair treatment; nothing more, nothing less. On this basis, I strongly disagree with your finding. I've also reported several posts in the past few weeks for being "guilty" of the same offences that I've received warnings/bans for. But I never see any action or receive any feedback on my reports.

All I am dealing with here is your warning / yellow card.
    If you wish to make your thoughts known on the how soccer is moderated then there is a periodic thread that deals with that. If you feel there is a serious issue with abuse of moderator powers then pm me or post in helpdesk for admin to assess.

The rule in question is 'do not discuss moderation on thread'

I can only make a judgement based on the evidence you have presented to me.

You discussed moderation on thread....

Once more, what is the basis of your appeal?

Thanks.

All I am dealing with here is your warning / yellow card.
    If you wish to make your thoughts known on the how soccer is moderated then there is a periodic thread that deals with that. If you feel there is a serious issue with abuse of moderator powers then pm me or post in helpdesk for admin to assess.

The rule in question is 'do not discuss moderation on thread'

I can only make a judgement based on the evidence you have presented to me.

You discussed moderation on thread....

Once more, what is the basis of your appeal?

Thanks.
    I explained this to you in my previous post. The mod in question stated that the warning was issued "on the basis of questioning a mod on thread". This I did not do, as you will clearly see if you read the post in question. Therefore, the warning has clearly been issued in error. And I repeat my request that it be withdrawn immediately.

• Advertisement

OK, thanks.

Warning upheld.

You may appeal to admin if you wish.

S.

OK, thanks.

Warning upheld.

You may appeal to admin if you wish.

S.
    Is there any point? It seems to be a closed shop there.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You've been on this site over 10 years and cannot claim not to know that commenting on moderation in-thread, except in specific feedback threads, is not permitted. You received a yellow for this which is entirely in line with the Soccer Forum charter

CMod's decision upheld

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement