Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Presents Before or After Dinner?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Before. Son (teenager) opens his presents when he gets up that morning. Myself and hubbie open our gifts from each other and from son.
    The rest is kept until after morning mass where we head over to my parents house. We all exchange presents and open the rest after mass and before we roll up our sleeves to start on the dinner prep.

When our son was younger we used to hold back some of his wrapped presents until after dinner or later in the afternoon, everyone was so generous to him. We found that otherwise it was a bit overwhelming, he was just opening presents but not really looking or appreciating them properly. At least in the afternoon when we are all full from dinner there was still a little bit of excitement and the grown ups had a bit more spare time to play with him and put things together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

7am on Christmas morning every year, despite being 24 I do be extremely excited about Christmas and presents. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

My sister (34) wakes me (32) up at about 6am and we go down and open them, then go back to bed! At this stage presents are usually pots or socks or other awfully practical things but for some reason the joy of waking up early for them never really got any less..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We do our immediate family presents straight off.

Then make our way through other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭sunshine rose

After dinner! Apart from when we were young and had Santa presents, they were always opened in the morning but the rest would wait until after dinner. I think it was a great way of spreading it out throughout the day.
    It's the best, wouldn't have it any other way. We all sit down absolutely stuffed after dinner, it's dark outside, the fire is lit and it's all cosy while we pass around presents.
    This year will be slightly different for me as I'm spending Christmas Eve night/Christmas morning with my boyfriend in our house before going our separate ways so we are going to open our presents to each other together in the morning-will be really strange as I haven't opened a present in the morning since Santa! My poor boyfriend the last couple of years has been driven demented waiting all day for me to open my present from him😂😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Posh people open after dinner i heard on the radio today :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Posh people open after dinner i heard on the radio today :D

Deadly. I am posh!!!

Santa presents ungodly hour.
    Family Kk after dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

We always open our presents at 8am (the earliest our parents would let us be up to do it). When my brother(the youngest) was younger and excited for santa, he'd just come in to my room as soon as he woke up and we'd watch something. This tradition has kept up even though he's 14 now. My sister then potters in to my room when she wakes up, and we go down when the parents get up. Even though there's no santa in the house, we still open the presents in the morning before breakfast.

My nana comes out for dinner and we open the presents from her, and give her presents to her then. Going to be the first year without both grandad's so I thought I'd be dreading it, but thankfully some of the Christmas spirit is still there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

No children in the family so after midnight mass on Christmas Eve.

Advertisement