Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 boot up problem

Options
  • 18-12-2017 11:59pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All
    Since I "Work in IT", my brother dropped over his Laptop Satellite C40.

Won't boot up "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Checked the bios and the drive appears.
    Created a bootable USB, windows 7. Tested the USB in another laptop and it works.
    Tried in in his no joy.
    Read up a bit and then I formatted the USB with FAT32 and then copied all the files back onto it.
    Rebooted it and then I got a different message.
    Along the lines of
    "a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. \efi\microsoft\boot\bcd "

So I'm stumped. I usual figure these out but I am defeated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

moneymad wrote: »

Thanks chief, no DVD.

This hits the error immediately, so I can't even get to a command prompt.

Its onboard SSD from what I can figure so can't even take out the drive and put into another laptop case to try wipe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

If you can create a live usb (using rufus), I'd recommend Hiren's Boot CD.

Has a FixMBR tool on it (as well as other diagnostics).

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ok, so this got weird! :)
    I created another USB bootable device, set it to USB - FDD and FAT32 and it has started to work, then hung on the Starting Windows which is progress.
    Tried last known config but no joy.
    Tried SAFE Mode, but it stops at "system32\drivers\disk.sys"

So there I am now.

Any help appreciated.

Hitting the hay, gotta be up at 5.45 to join the rat race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

yop wrote: »
    ok, so this got weird! :)
    I created another USB bootable device, set it to USB - FDD and FAT32 and it has started to work, then hung on the Starting Windows which is progress.
    Tried last known config but no joy.
    Tried SAFE Mode, but it stops at "system32\drivers\disk.sys"

So there I am now.

Any help appreciated.

Hitting the hay, gotta be up at 5.45 to join the rat race.

Found this, hope it helps!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-boot-stuck-at-please-wait-drivers-disksys/21969e92-fda4-47ec-aeb0-c3afb527fca8?auth=1

• Advertisement

still no joy lads.

Can't get a command prompt to get me access to the HDD.
    I tried hirens boot cd there but it doesn't get passed the "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Press F2 immediately on startup to enter the bios. Press right arrow key to go across to Boot section.
    From there make sure Removable Devices (or External USB Devices) is enabled. Save changes and reboot. On reboot, start pressing F12 to get Boot Device menu, from there select USB and press Enter.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Press F2 immediately on startup to enter the bios. Press right arrow key to go across to Boot section.
    From there make sure Removable Devices (or External USB Devices) is enabled. Save changes and reboot. On reboot, start pressing F12 to get Boot Device menu, from there select USB and press Enter.

Hi,
    Thanks but I've done that already. Its the first boot device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

yop wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks but I've done that already. Its the first boot device.

Do you get the boot device menu after pressing F12?

I do indeed.

Hangs on all options of safe mode. Pain in the head the SSD is integrated.
    Looks like corrupt driver(s) but if I can't get onto the disc to wipe it then Im snookered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I tried hirens boot cd there but it doesn't get passed the "REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE"
    Can you confirm you created bootable USB.
    Can you boot to same USB on working machine.

Another thing to do try disable Safe boot and change Boot Mode to CSM/Legacy BIOS Mode

I have created bootable USB and booted from it on another laptop.

Another thing to do try disable Safe boot and change Boot Mode to CSM/Legacy BIOS Mode

Whats annoying is that is greyed out. It just gets better and better! :D

There should be sequence you have to follow, like disable secure boot first and then only you will be able to turn legacy on, or similar.

Official Toshiba instruction for genuine Win8 units:
    https://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB2B03F30002R01.htm

Advertisement