Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ding in shopping centre

Options
  • 19-12-2017 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Came back to the car this evening to find the number plate had been smashed. It looked like someone had reversed into it with a tow bar.

The jeep parked in that position was "face to face" but I went around to the back and it had a tow bar and its rubber coating was badly damaged as if it had reversed into something.

I'm guessing the driver reversed in, hit me, drove out, turned and drove in. Why he didn't just drive off I don't know. It was very busy.

I waited around for a couple of hours until all other cars had left. The driver didn't return.

What do I do next next? Notify the Guards? We were very close to the CCTV - ask for coverage of the incident? Or just forget about it?

I doubt there's much damage and cost but I've the impression the other driver was waiting for me to leave. I wasn't very subtle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You need to provide proof, a witness, or forget about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

A lot of cars an jeeps have tow bars. Just cos I have a tow bar and you have suspicions doesn't make me guilty. I be careful blaming a guy just cos he had a tow bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I appreciate that. That's why I noted the CCTV.

Has anyone ever requested CCTV footage in a similar scenario and got anywhere?

Most tow bars are at the same nominal height. It’s fair to say that any car in that carpark with a towbar which parked after you did could easily be the one that did the damage. You have nothing to gain from this. Get a new number plate and get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could ask in the shop if they will let you watch the CCTV. Some will, some won't.

Gardai probably won't entertain it as it's not a serious crime. They usually let people handle dings themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

GetWithIt wrote: »
    .... I went around to the back and it had a tow bar and its rubber coating was badly damaged as if it had reversed into something.

Or someone reversed into him.
    GetWithIt wrote: »
    I'm guessing the driver reversed in, hit me, drove out, turned and drove in. Why he didn't just drive off I don't know. It was very busy.

If he reversed in and hit you, he was well positioned to simply drive away, I cannot conceive why he would then drive out of the space, turn around and drive in nose first. Your evidence is circumstantial at best but highly improbable.

Tow bars get whacked a lot by other motorists who park up against the rear of a stationary jeep or SUV without checking if there's a tow bar so just because you see a tow bar with evidence of damage, it doesn't mean the driver is a careless prat who bumps into other vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

Ask for the CCTV but it's unlikely they'll give it to you unfortunately. They're under no obligation to provide it to you either.

Gardai won't get involved if there were no injuries - it is left to 'civil remedy' as they put it.

As already mentioned, if there are no witnesses or footage of the incident, chalk it down and move on.

Advertisement