Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil for a wooden door

Options
  • 19-12-2017 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I have stripped the paint off an old wooden door using a heat gun. Most of the paint has come off, there are some patches where very thin strips of paint remain,see photo.
    Its a good looking door, very heavy and solidly constructed. I want to treat the wood to protect it and get it looking it's best. It will be a bathroom door so there will be steam, etc from the shower.
    I am looking for a traditional look so I don't mind seeing the strips of paint buy if it will not work with the oil teen I am open to suggestions.
    I would like to use oil or wax rather than varnish. Is oil suitable for a bathroom? What kind of finish can I expect with the small strips of paint?
    Are there any specific products you world recommended?
    https://imageshack.com/i/poDAkowNj
    Also, can you tell me what kind of wood this is?

Advertisement