Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Bike Scheme

Options
  • 19-12-2017 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭

The distance from me to my workplace is cycle-able, I'd like to...but I'm forced to drive as I can't cycle through the damn tunnel and going via the city would take an eternity, not to mind going though a few dicey roundabouts I'd be wary about in daylight, let alone in darkness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The distance from me to my workplace is cycle-able, I'd like to...but I'm forced to drive as I can't cycle through the damn tunnel and going via the city would take an eternity, not to mind going though a few dicey roundabouts I'd be wary about in daylight, let alone in darkness.
    Same, I'm fairly fed up of being stuck in traffic tbqh

I use the Coke Bike scheme and don't own a bike - I'd like if they extended the reach of the bikes out more towards Douglas. They're great for getting around the city, but could also prove vital in getting into the city. I'd just as easily cycle as wait for a bus for 10-20mins.

Point being - if I could use this cheap service to get into the city, or the bus if it's there, then I'd take the train and ideally, use the coke bikes to get closer to work from the station.

I think what it would take is companies starting initiatives with Coke to actively aim to drive (pun intended) their staff towards using public transport. If you're going to try to get people to increase their usage of public facilities then this has to be supplemented with facilities that enable it - getting paid into a LEAP card, more Coke Bikes/stands, tax incentives even.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah, the problem with most public transport in Cork is that it radiates from the city like spokes of a wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

D'Agger wrote: »
    Same, I'm fairly fed up of being stuck in traffic tbqh

I use the Coke Bike scheme and don't own a bike - I'd like if they extended the reach of the bikes out more towards Douglas. They're great for getting around the city, but could also prove vital in getting into the city. I'd just as easily cycle as wait for a bus for 10-20mins.

This has been called for as recently as last week by the Chamber of Commerce, but it looks like whoever is running them wont extend because Limerick and Galway are performing so poorly, wrap your head around that one. Cork has something like 5 times the number of bike rides more than Galway and Limerick put together, Id imagine that would increase no end if they extended it to places like Douglas, Turners Cross, The Lough and more.

CHealy wrote: »
    This has been called for as recently as last week by the Chamber of Commerce, but it looks like whoever is running them wont extend because Limerick and Galway are performing so poorly, wrap your head around that one. Cork has something like 5 times the number of bike rides more than Galway and Limerick put together, Id imagine that would increase no end if they extended it to places like Douglas, Turners Cross, The Lough and more.
    It definitely would - was in Galway recently and did not see many cyclists or people using the scheme.

Perhaps the reasoning is that they've already invested in those areas, their poor performance means that addition of additional services can't be done in the immediate future. You'd like if the City council gave them lee-way or perhaps an ability to trial so as not to have to fork out a large sum to increase facilities - if the City makes it low risk for the scheme to be extended then they're more likely to take it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Whatever about Turners Cross and The Lough, Douglas is not yet in the city council's jurisdiction, hopefully when the new boundary is extended out then the Coke bike scheme might follow.
    Afaik Coke have no arrangement with Cork County Council for bile stands etc in their areas

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Whatever about Turners Cross and The Lough, Douglas is not yet in the city council's jurisdiction, hopefully when the new boundary is extended out then the Coke bike scheme might follow.
    Afaik Coke have no arrangement with Cork County Council for bile stands etc in their areas
    Ah yeah, I'm talking in the next few years - if the City expands then the services and general push to assist the use of PT needs to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

kub wrote: »

The NTA operate and fund the bike scheme. It's nothing to do with the council. Most recently the NTA has said they acknowledge the success of the scheme in Cork but have no plans to extend the scheme in Cork because Galway and Limerick isn't performing. Make sense of that if you can.

What "should" happen is that all new large developments in and around the city (think One Albert Quay) should have to provide a Coke bikes stand in their plans as a condition of planning. This would reduce the cost on the public purse but of course something sensible like that would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Galway was never going to be a success, its too small for a bike share system to work. Limerick is way bigger than Galway (city center at least) so Im surprised it hasnt taken off there but again the figures are shocking. Cork is coming up on 1 million bike rides in three years, that must be beyond the forecasted usage by the NTA by a good bit and should at least warrant a study on the potential expansion of the scheme, the figures speak for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

All chat moved here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Cork has good quality bike lanes in place which helps. Galway doesn't seem to have any and neither does Limerick. In fact Limerick's pattern of one way streets with no contraflow cycling facilities is serious impediment. Dublin was supposed to have an expansion towards the grangegorman area but that's been pulled, seems there's just no funding for this kind of thing. It's as if the powers that be don't want to reduce congestion at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It really is a farce. It's a scheme that people in Cork have really embraced - in 2016 there were nearly 300k journeys in Cork, in Galway they had 13k. And yet the NTA refuse to look at expanding the scheme. It would be a relatively modest investment compared to most transport investment to install new stations. The mind boggles it really does.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It really is a farce. It's a scheme that people in Cork have really embraced - in 2016 there were nearly 300k journeys in Cork, in Galway they had 13k. And yet the NTA refuse to look at expanding the scheme. It would be a relatively modest investment compared to most transport investment to install new stations. The mind boggles it really does.

It's a bizarre way to think about transport policy. transport infrastructure Ireland have stated that they're not going to look at expanding the cork Project because they want to focus on the ones that are largely failing. Wow. So instead of taking advantage of the momentum and success of the cork Project to make a real change to modal choice they've decided to ignore this opportunity and the cost of expanding the network is minuscule

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

mire wrote: »
    It's a bizarre way to think about transport policy. transport infrastructure Ireland have stated that they're not going to look at expanding the cork Project because they want to focus on the ones that are largely failing. Wow. So instead of taking advantage of the momentum and success of the cork Project to make a real change to modal choice they've decided to ignore this opportunity and the cost of expanding the network is minuscule

Ideally they should be doing both building on Cork's success and tackling the issues affecting the two smaller schemes. Unfortunately Galway and Limerick Councils have control over their roads and road layout, they aren't prepared to put in the level of cycling infrastructure Cork has, hopefully the NTA will remove this power from them. The Dublin Scheme is many times more heavily used and is seeing no expansion despite a new phase being promised as of Summer 2017.

Advertisement