Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACA/ ACCA/ CIMA? Where to start?

Options
  • 19-12-2017 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

I'd like to improve my financial knowledge - I work in a policy type role, (deal with some financials only for review) but I feel the accounting skill set is a great discipline to have. However I would not be aiming to become a fully qualified accountant, moreso I want the knowledge to interpret numbers better.

I don't know where to start. I have a BSC and MSc in non finance subjects, although I did take economics courses.

I can find book keeping or accounting technician courses, which are probably not what I need, or maybe the CIMA cert in Business Accounting which sounds like it might give that overview understanding I'm looking for - anyone done it or know if it's worth the money? I started reading reviews and got bogged down in people saying ACCA/ ACA is better?

I just need a financial management for beginners overview type course! Any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

For a general role in industry, courses affiliated to the CIMA route would IMO be better geared to what you want. The IMI ran a course 'Finance for the non-financial manager' that was good. It'd be worth looking at what they are doing now. Forget the accounting technician stuff, it'd bore the @rse off you and not much use. All you need to know is how to read a balance sheet and understand cashflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

There's a diploma in ifrs which may interest you. Financial reporting etc, it's an add on for the accountants.

No real difference between Aca/acca both accountants, and take a while to complete.

The dipifrs 6 months about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I did the CIMA cert very many years ago. At the time I was implementing ERP systems and while I had learned a lot of accounting on the job, I wanted to make it a little more formal.

The CIMA cert is good but I’d describe it as nuts & bolts in the sense that it doesn’t really teach you how to interpret a P&L, BS or CF. You’ll know what all the components are, and how they’re calculated, but the overall art of interpretation is not on scope of the course. Having said that, I thought it was a solid foundation course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Thanks so much everyone. I had eyed up the IMI course but was wondering if I'd get more out of CImA. I'll take a look at the others mentioned here too.

If you don't want to become an accountant don't do the accounting exams.

There are Finance for non financial managers courses available - I would look at those first.

Not knowing what you do in life I can't imagine basic bookkeeping or debits and credits would be much use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would also add that a lot of clients I’ve worked with have commented on the fact that I have the cert. it’s definitely viewed favourably by other accountants despite the fact that it’s not a full accountancy qual.

Advertisement