Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's the most wonderful time of the year. I'm here.

Comments

Hi Patrick.

I visited the Supervalu in the local town this morning to see what the cheese selection was like. Bear in mind this is a part of the country where people still eat things like Calvita, or that 'cheese' that has a laughing cow on the packaging. There was a rudimentary selection of Irish farmhouse cheeses, but they were all wrapped in cellophane. Talk about destroying the product!

I approached the extremely gormless looking teenager who was manning the deli, and asked if they had any that weren't wrapped in plastic or stored under harsh lighting. I might as well have been asking him to solve Fermat's last theorem. Completely blank expression on his face.

Two minutes later and I had the nose of the Beamer hire car pointed towards Galway City. I couldn't help but notice the appalling standard of driving that seems to have become the norm in Ireland - when did the use of indicators become optional? I was in quite a sour mood by the time I visited Sheridan's cheesemongers. Thankfully they had an excellent selection of properly stored cheeses, and a member of staff who knew their brief.

The selection is a Milleens Dote, St Killians, Bellingham Blue, and a Cais na Tire. Can really see the Cais na Tire going well with a fantastic bottle of Chablis that I picked up. The red was a bit of a gamble based on advice from the shop assistant - a man who looked like his tipple of choice is strong cider, preferably drank down at the Spanish Arch. The tasting notes were good though, and 2010 was a fine vintage for the Rhône reds, so I don't think you can go wrong with an approachable bon marché Hermitage.

This material is genuinely as good as the Ross O'Carroll Kelly stuff, and actually probably more relatable to a lot of people. Is there a way for you to move it beyond boards and monetise it like Paul Howard has?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ooh.

Permabear vs. AVB in a Trade-Off Match.

Conor74 as a special guest referee.

yaNYDQM.jpg

Oh, I love a bit of fantasy oneupmanship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Candie wrote: »
    Oh, I love a bit of fantasy oneupmanship!

G'wan so, you're up next :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I feel slightly sorry for AvB, posting that bit of fantasy was probably the highlight of his year. :(

G'wan so, you're up next :D

Sorry, I'm just getting up and have to go take a shower in my gold plated bathroom while my Major Domo prepares my breakfast of blinis and champagne.

Sorry, I'm just getting up and have to go take a shower in my gold plated bathroom while my Major Domo prepares my breakfast of blinis and champagne.

Not bad ;)

Not bad ;)

Your turn. You have some tough competition though. :)

• Advertisement

I'm not able for this class of a field though...I'm a novice :)

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Ooh.

Permabear vs. AVB in a Trade-Off Match.

Conor74 as a special guest referee.

yaNYDQM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

A Christmas miracle for all to behold, so did you bring presents.

Just be your regular selves and carry on as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

AVB I thoroughly enjoy your witty repartie and how you never let standards slip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Tut, tut, that's very nouveau riche, dear, not to say trumpy.

And you let the majordomo make breakfast? Don't you have a cook or at least a maid?

Oh! I'm going to sit in front of my 65" TV and have a glass of €200 whisky...and it's actually true! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Oh! I'm going to sit in front of my 65" TV and have a glass of €200 whisky...and it's actually true! :D

Which whiskey is it if you don't mind? Got Pater some 18 year old Jameson for a gift. I've given him other more expensive bottles in the past but he likes his jemmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

You eat something as common as cheese? I'm enjoying a dodo egg omelette, garnished with the tears of clubbed baby seals.

Which whiskey is it if you don't mind? Got Pater some 18 year old Jameson for a gift. I've given him other more expensive bottles in the past but he likes his jemmy.

Johnny Walker Blue my good fellow...like my good self, ...smooth and mellow...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The bang of notions would very nearly knock you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Johnny Walker Blue my good fellow...like my good self, ...smooth and mellow...

Very sorry old chum, I did take you to mean Irish whiskey, not the Scottish equivalent, whisky. It is reputed to be a very fine example of scotch, nonetheless, to your good health, and a merry Christmas to you too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

My favourite fictional character has returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

I was driving out of Galway earlier and was overtaken by a fancy BMW driving like it owned the road. My immediate though was AvB must have collected his cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I was chatting to Aongus on a recent trip to Hamburg. I think tone can be lost through text. He's really quite a loveable rogue. He admitted he wasn't really familiar with the Hamburg Christmas markets but was quick to offer advice on local beers and cuisine along with some tips on how to get in with the natives!

I'm sure he won't mind me saying that he's not quite as.....pompous (apologies Aongus but I've had a tipple or two and my English has plummeted as a result)....on a one to one level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sounds like you've had more than a tipple or two if you think you've been talking to a fictional character. :rolleyes:

I was chatting to Aongus on a recent trip to Hamburg. I think tone can be lost through text. He's really quite a loveable rogue. He admitted he wasn't really familiar with the Hamburg Christmas markets but was quick to offer advice on local beers and cuisine along with some tips on how to get in with the natives!

I'm sure he won't mind me saying that he's not quite as.....pompous (apologies Aongus but I've had a tipple or two and my English has plummeted as a result)....on a one to one level.

Is he a terrible rogue?

I can’t be the only one on this forum that believes Anghos and End of the Road are the same person. Can I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Frankfurt, whoopsa, Frankfurt, where the finance business is. Not Hamburg. Though he might have been on his way to the Elbphilharmonie, cultured and sophisticated as he is.

He wouldn't though "get in with the natives", but might know about the best gourmet Fischbrötchen (fish sandwich) to get - which probably is as far as he gets "native".

Gosh, I love that wannabe Bismarck character. He is attitude-wise so inspiring, even if he slips occasionally. But that's the Galway Boy for you.
    (I hope Ed Sheeran ... no, I don't even want to think about it ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I can’t be the only one on this forum that believes Anghos and End of the Road are the same person. Can I?

unless anghos spends 3/4 of him time defending public sector or train drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

aongus and whoopsy - a boardsie royal wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Carry wrote: »
    Frankfurt, whoopsa, Frankfurt, where the finance business is. Not Hamburg. Though he might have been on his way to the Elbphilharmonie, cultured and sophisticated as he is.

He wouldn't though "get in with the natives", but might know about the best gourmet Fischbrötchen (fish sandwich) to get - which probably is as far as he gets "native".

I was in Hamburg ya silly billy.

It's beautiful btw.

Never been to Frankfurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭tara73

omg, is that opening post for real??? the message in a nutshell: who has the biggest..me, me, me, me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

tara73 wrote: »
    omg, is that opening post for real??? the message in a nutshell: who has the biggest..me, me, me, me.

I find it's more fun if you read it in a Ron Burgundy voice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Gus appears to have called it very right. Almost to the day. Permabear should stick to the Cyril Squirrel saving stamps, and leave the investment advice to a real pro like AvB.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Heres more sh1te from the OP.
    http://baronvonkelly.tumblr.com/ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

My half marathon times in particular are the envy of colleagues ten years my junior,

What is your PB ?

GMSA wrote: »

good lord, more unbelievable crap. I'm out, those individuals thrive on attention. but he defo lives in the right country for him...

• Advertisement

GMSA wrote: »
    After asking him if he was going out as somebody who made something of himself, he muttered weakly in return something about dressing up as a complete prick. Terrible stuff, really.

Ah now Aongus, instigating an argument there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was bored until the Lynx Africa set. That was a gem :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Opened the thread and the smell of bullsh1t filled the air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I never got the appeal of this poster TBH but given the 100 thanks on the OP I'm clearly not the target audience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

I speak for many of us when I ask:

Who the **** are you and why should I care ?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I never got the appeal of this poster TBH but given the 100 thanks on the OP I'm clearly not the target audience.

yeah, that's even more shocking than the post and attitude. I guess he gave financial advice to all those 'thankers' and saved them a few bob.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

AVB....the glorified troll with expensive tastes.;)

JupiterKid wrote: »
    AVB....the glorified troll with expensive tastes.;)

glad somebody else thinks this must be a troll. glorified indeed. mods seem to love that.

tara73 wrote: »
    yeah, that's even more shocking than the post and attitude. I guess he gave financial advice to all those 'thankers' and saved them a few bob.:eek:

It's a parody account!! :D

It's a parody account!! :D

is it? I was slightly thinking it must be this or a troll. But others didn't get it either, relieved..:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement