Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving up to the honours class

Options
  • 19-12-2017 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

In terms of cycling I'm very much in the Foundation level class. Middle aged oul wan who cycles to work and not much else. I've set myself a challenge to get over the Conor Pass on a bike in 2018.
    Currently I'm cycling to work 4/5 days per week which is a 16km round trip. I try to do something at the weekend and have managed to get over Howth Head several times this summer (albeit VERY slowly). I'm not ridiculously unfit (did 125km of the Camino in Oct) but I need advice on getting fit enough to get over that mountain.
    How do I improve leg strength and lung capacity and move up a class ?

PS I also probably need to invest/borrow a new bike. Anyone think it's possible to meet my challenge on a Giant Liv Hybrid bike ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The best training for cycling is...more cycling! :) The more miles (km) you do the easier you will find it.
    How long of a route are you planning to include the Conor Pass? You might not want 100+ Km of cycling before you face one of the toughest climbs in Ireland.
    If you are planning on a new bike, I would recommend you do that first and train on it, so that your body gets used to the new position you'll be in, but that's not to say you couldn't do the ride on your current bike. A road bike has more riding positions so you can change about a bit if one position becomes uncomfortable, and a decent bike fit should ensure every position is comfortable.
    I'd say, plan your route first so you know what lies ahead and then train for that.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Don't let Conor Pass Legend rule your head.
    I bet you had fears about Howth before you went up.
    Every area in Ireland has a mythical climb but in reality some are just longer than others. You see people going up Conor Pass on hybrids with full panniers during the summer.
    Nobody cares how fast you go. As Trigger said above with a bit of planning 're more cycling and if you change bikes then you will get up and be asking yourself what all the fuss was about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks for all the encouragement folks. I'd forgotten that I've seen trusty old bikes with full panniers getting up that hill !. The first time I did Howth Head I thought I'd end up in the graveyard never mind cycle past it. I persevered and got there (eventually). I was doing the lap from my house over the hill and home 2 or 3 times a month which is just over 20km. I'm a bit out of practice now due to Camino training but I've no excuse now to get back on track. I'm going to get out over the Christmas break and make a start.
    From my starting point in Kerry to the top of Conor is 30km so it's not THAT bad. I'm happy and comfortable on my hybrid, I can fly around on it without thinking so I think I'll stick to it. I'm only 5ft zero so it's not easy to get bikes to fit. I never have any back/shoulder pains on mine so I suppose it serves me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

One thing you should definitely get if you don't have already are clipless pedals either variant will do the job but SPD would probably be best to suit your needs. You will notice a massive difference in your climbing with these.

No magic to climbs just start out like an auld wan and finish up like a young wan :) Obviously if you're looking to break records that's a whole different ball game.

The hybrid will probably be ideal and they generally tend to have low enough gearing.

Sounds like a fun adventure. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The hybrid will probably be ideal and they generally tend to have low enough gearing.

Fully agree (even if you risk excommunication here for dissuading someone from buying a new bike:))

The trick with the low gears is to make sure you use them. Try Howth next time in a lower gear than usual. You will probably find you get to the Summit in the same time and better shape. I have passed more people on long climbs by consistently staying in lower gears and pedaling slightly faster (spinning).

You might also consider trying some of the Dublin or Wicklow climbs before venturing south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I remember when I started back on my bike after a 10 year break. I lived in Raheny and I decided to do a 15k circuit taking in Howth. I cycled along the coast road and turned right at Sutton cross. I got just past the graveyard before I had to pull over, sit down and put my head between my knees because I thought I was going to pass out! I was hyperventilating and sweating profusely. Once my breathing had calmed down I got back on my bike, turned around and freewheeled back down and cycled home!

Your already cycling over Howth, so my advise is to keep doing Howth and you'll have no problem on the Conor pass. It's longer but just take it at your own pace and you'll do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    One thing you should definitely get if you don't have already are clipless pedals
    just to clarify - clipless pedals are pedals you clip into. don't ask, just accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Really nice vibes here, loving all the encouragement and advice. I've toyed with the idea of clipless pedals - no more messing, that will be my first purchase in the new year. Cheaper than a new bike :D
    Nice to know that my challenge is do-able and that I'm not mad. Looking forward to getting started over the Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jos28 wrote: »
    .... I've set myself a challenge to get over the Conor Pass on a bike in 2018....
    As you improve, head to the Sally Gap or Wicklow Gap - both would be on a par with the Connor Pass (although not as consistent).

(BTW - I'm making the presumption that you are in the greater Dublin area if you have been over Howth several times.)
    ...I have passed more people on long climbs by consistently staying in lower gears skinnier and pedaling slightly faster ....
    FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

The Conor pass is one of the most beautiful climbs I have ever done. It's well worth the effort.

As the folks said above its similar to the Sally Gap or Wicklow Gap or about two and a half (maybe three?) Howth Heads. I'd definite get some practice in on Howth in the early part of the year, perhaps building up to two or three ascents over time (maybe with a sneaky coffee in the middle) and then have a go at the Wicklow Gap from Laragh (if you get too knackered you can always freewheel back down the hill to the café for cake!).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Esroh wrote: »
    Don't let Conor Pass Legend rule your head.
    I bet you had fears about Howth before you went up.
    Every area in Ireland has a mythical climb but in reality some are just longer than others. You see people going up Conor Pass on hybrids with full panniers during the summer.
    Nobody cares how fast you go. As Trigger said above with a bit of planning 're more cycling and if you change bikes then you will get up and be asking yourself what all the fuss was about

Very much my experience of it, having done it on a hybrid rented out of Tralee carrying a large rucksack, being middle aged and not that fit myself. In addition to climbing practice a few long descents so that you enjoy it properly on the day as the big downhill is your reward for the slog uphill. Whichever way you go up, I'd recommend descending towards Dingle as you've a wider road, better visibility and will be going the same was as the tour busses.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I'd say the Conor is substantially easier than Wicklow or Sally, from either direction. Up & down from Dingle, then out Slay Head for the views, and finish with a camomile tea (or whatever) in Foxy Johns pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

I found my Strava of my trip up the Connor pass on a hybrid
    https://www.strava.com/activities/381595550/shareable_images/photo_based/1574387/1/de89a198-716e-4bcf-9cc7-64aea3137fab?hl=en-US&v=1441014554

Quite tough but well worth it. I was not that fit at the time - if you keep doing howth and other hills you should be fine. Funny enough there was a guy playing music when I got to the car park at the top. Be careful descending particularly if it's raining. If I had more time I would have kept going instead of going back to dingle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The best training for cycling is...more cycling! :) The more miles (km) you do the easier you will find it.

What Trigger said but with climbing! You're doing 60km odd a week already. Just keep hitting Howth a few times a week, and within three weeks you will notice a difference. Go as slow as you want, the trick is to keep the heart rate from blowing up. Up until recently I was a very heavy smoker and I have managed most of the Dublin climbs, but at my own pace. I live near the bottom of the Hellfire club/Stocking Lane and my first attempts at climbing were going up Stocking Avenue and part of Stocking lane, coming down Gunny Hill.

The first few efforts nearly killed me, but it wasn't my legs, I just "blew up" as I didn't know how to cycle up hills. Once I had the basics, it became a bit easier, and then more easy. Just take it handy, and when the gradient eases off in places, use that to go handier and catch your breath etc.

Doing a good climb is way more satisfying for me than distance or speed. Just something great about getting to the top of a tough climb and enjoying the views. I used to love my "victory" smokes at the top of a climb :(

Anyways, just keep hitting Howth, at a pace you're happy with. You'll reap the benefits in under 4 weeks.

Advertisement