Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 how was it for you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mine was okay.

Good:

- Went on 2 lovely holidays. To Indonesia with my boyfriend and Italy with my
    Mother. Both were great times!

- Did pretty well at work and got a nice pay-rise.

- Lost a little bit of weight.

Bad:

- My Grandmother was very ill this year and driving my Mother to the hospital
    at 6am when we thought they were calling us because she had died was
    pretty awful. Luckily she's a trooper and recovered but has since had to move
    into my Mother's house. We don't want her living on her own in a 2 story
    house anymore. But then again she is 94..

- Got some really awful news about a lovely colleague of mine recently. But
    made me realise how lucky I have it and that I should count my blessings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

CORK CITY FC - DOUBLE WINNERS 2017

'Twas a great year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Tbh there wasn't really much to it for me. Not a bad year, good in many mild ways but not significant in any way and very forgetable.

The kind of year where you say at the end 'well the country continued to do fairly well, which is important considering'

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

this year has went by so quick, but with not much to show for it.
    wasn't a bad year but I don't know where the time has went..

a few weeks ago I had a little bad patch, and it made me rethink a few things. after I got over that, I made a kind of bucket list of things I want to do.
    felt great that I had new plans.

as usual though, some of them won't happen now because of trying to work round my job and having a child.
    although i'm still feeling positive about them happening at some stage.
    I genuinely think 2018 is going to be much better though:P

if its not, then i'll just avoid next years thread:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Overall good year. Have had some ups and downs but starting positive and ending positive.
    This time last year I had just gotten a job offer to start in early Jan but that didnt work out for various reasons I wont go into. 6 weeks after I left I started in my current role so still settling in there. Have also been having some health issues over the past few years since 2014 but things have been quite stable this year in that regard apart from having a few more tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

thanks for that guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Decent. Spent the first 6 months living like a hermit saving. Had a ball for the last 6 months travelling through SE Asia.

Looking forward to 2018, in Asia :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It was pretty much the same as last year, nothing amazing or terrible about it. It was mostly good with no major problems so I can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭thomil

The first half wasn’t actually all that bad. I had some success at work, and a project that I had hoped to get underway finally seemed ready to go. Then, in June, everything took a nosedive.

My mother was hospitalised due to complications with her cancer treatment. A week later, she was transferred to ICU, and a day after that, she was placed in an induced coma. The same evening, my dad told me that I should „start looking for flights“ to Germany. I don’t think I need to explain the implication of that phrase. Well, the next day, Saturday, my dad was hospitalised as well, and ended up in the quarantine ward with a Norovirus infection. I managed to get a flight out on Tuesday, and my mom passed away on Wednesday morning. I‘d tried to get to see her immediately after landing, but wasn’t allowed into her room.

A month later, shortly after I‘d visited my dad for my birthday, he was hospitalised again with stroke-like symptoms. Turns out it wasn’t a stroke, but three meningal tumours that has started to block off circulation to parts of his brain. He got them removed, and recovered fast enough to pick me up at Frankfurt Airport when I flew over for my mother’s funeral three weeks after his surgery. When I came back from the funeral, I found that my rent had been terminated and I needed to find a new place.

Well, back in early November, I flew back to Germany for my dad‘s birthday. He’d recovered extremely well and was planning to drive to Cork over Christmas and New Years. The birthday went really well, my dad was relaxed, happy, optimistic, all the things he hadn’t been since my mom passed away. Then, three days after I‘d flown back to Ireland, my dad didn’t answer my daily phone call, and also didn’t react to emails or texts. I asked the neighbors to check on him, and they found him sitting in his favourite chair, almost like he was asleep. He‘d passed away only hours earlier.

So, now I’m the last remaining member of my family, I‘ve got m dad‘s funeral coming up in early January, I‘m still in the middle of moving from one apartment to another, my performance at work has plummeted since my mother’s death to the point where I have to fear for my job, and the funeral costs will likely eat up what little financial reserves I have left. Oh, and to top it off, I‘ve since found out that my parents had amassed a significant amount of debt, mostly springing from issues with their private health insurance.

I‘ll be extremely glad to finally see the end of 2017, and I hope that no one ever has to go through the same kind of nightmare.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

CORK CITY FC - DOUBLE WINNERS 2017

'Twas a great year :D

Cork City double, baby landing in February, have to say it was a good year.

Cork City double, baby landing in February, have to say it was a good year.

Congrats on the baby!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fairly ****e to be honest, trying to deal with an alcoholic sibling who caused my mam and dad nothing but grief and was abusive, every morning I came downstairs she was in tears because of him :mad: came down one morning in May to find my mam in a distressed state, she was convinced she was dieing :( I rang an ambulance for her, was bawling my eyes out to you're man on the phone, I was never so afraid in all my life, she suffered a TIA from all the stress of dealing with my brother.

He went to rehab and when he came out he relapsed within two days and was back to his nasty abusive self again, he then went back into another treatment center, I was never more glad he was gone, no horrible atmosphere in the house, didn't have to see him :mad:

Only good thing to come out of 2017 for me is that I started a course I really liked in September and passed the exam in December and I'm starting a new course in January. Over the years I've tried to teach myself programming but always hit a wall and for some reason it stuck with me this time and I understand it better, having a good teacher helps I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

Everyone had a little good and little bad.
    Just wanna wish everyone a good happy 2018!

Countries visited in 2017:
    France 🇫🇷
    Denmark 🇩🇰
    Sweden 🇸🇪
    Germany 🇩🇪
    China 🇨🇳
    United Kingdom 🇬🇧

2018 planned:
    France 🇫🇷 (2)
    UK 🇬🇧 (2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

0e1bc9ee47057d1886a4f9537e392f1bb675b97d56d719e119903f49339cf0a5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It wasn't great but next year will be better.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

2017 was a real mixed bag for me if I’m honest. In regards to my family it was a good year. My daughter finished her masters and secured a great job, her younger sister is working well towards her leaving cert so all good there. OH is happy in his job and, having become a vegetarian he is in good health. Everyone seems to be in a good place except me. I started the year fit and healthy but following a failed knee surgery in Feb things really took a downwards turn. I know find myself in a situation where I need a stick to walk any distance an am in almost constant pain. I even have a blue badge for my car. I do not recognise the person I have become and this truly saddens me. There have been some really dark days and days when I didn’t even want to get out of my bed. I know there are people on here who would swap with me as they have illness’s far more serious than mine but I’ve still found this a very hard year to deal with. I am looking at another surgery in the coming weeks and hope this will get me back on my feet so to speak. In that regard I’ll be glad to see an end to 2017 and hope for a better 2018.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It was lovely. I love odd numbered years so much :D . So many really good memories to take from it and a few lessons too.

2018 - must eat more salad :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Found out I was expecting on NYE so the year was pretty much all Bump & Baby for me :D

Had my second Son in September and life is good. Hoping 2018 is peaceful and eventless tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

So, had a few realisations in 2017...

Towards the end of January, my parents offered me a site, on which to build.
    To say I didnt see it coming was an understatement. I had no clue they were going to offer it to me. On the 30/12/2016, I sat there thinking "how can I afford a decent home! Am I supposed to move town/country...wtf is this all about".

I was about to make a decision to pack in job/move (I hadnt told anyone), when one day, my parents told me they wanted me to have their (last) site. We'd never discussed anything (nor did I expect it).

By March, Id done research and made a decision to build. I found an architect and off I went (not really having a clue). Yet, here I am, right now...as a landowner and have planning permission. I did it all on my own. Something I thought impossible If youd said this time last year all this would happen, would have said f off youre nuts.

So, 2018, I will get to build housey (its a slow process).

I didnt do much travelling due to cost of architects/planning etc, but did get to Rome (beautiful). In January, I will go to Egypt for a few weeks.

I also had some hiccups. A break up (if you could call it that).

Am trying to see and practice that you can learn a lesson in misery/failed attempts. And that is makes you stronger (and wiser!). I like strong people. And me being strong will invite strong people in.

(yes-am a single lady with road frontage!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

After pretty much 23 years of hard times, 2017 has been like a dream.

I left Ireland for adventure in the middle of January and headed off to Sri Lanka with my sister and her boyfriend. We were only there a few days when I was told that they wanted to do their own thing. Was a bit of a shock to the system as in all the planning up to then it was the 3 of us travelling. I did expect them to head off here and there on their own but 3 days into the trip was a bit sooner than I thought.

So here I was, 43 years old, single, female on my own in Sri Lanka with no clue what to do. I moved to a hotel that suited me better than the crappy place they had insisted on, flirted with the owner and got a free massage from him and life took off. I spent 3 weeks travelling around Sri Lanka, went on what is billed as the most beautiful train journey in the world from Kandy to Ella and met some wonderful people along the way. Got sexually assaulted on a bus and dealt with it, saw elephants in the wild for the first time, woke up with monkeys running around on the roof of a house I stayed in, showered in an outside shower with the neighbours gawking at the fat white woman, pulled hot sexy young men, went whale watching (wasn't looking in the mirror!), got kicked out of a posh hotel's swimming pool coz we couldn't tell them which room was ours and shopped in a stunningly beautiful Mall in Colombo.

Headed to Madurai in Tamil Nadu, India with my sis and her boyfriend and again stayed in a crap hotel that I hated. I moved to a better one and then left them to take an overnight train to Kollam, Kerala. Not a nice experience. The train was disgustingly dirty and could barely sleep was so scared. Got to Kollam and stayed in a lovely wee hotel overlooking the backwaters. Took a backwater boat to Alleppey and had great craic with a lovely couple from England. Checked into a homestay in Alleppey which wasn't great and discovered that somewhere between leaving Madurai and arriving in Alleppey I had been bitten on my leg by something and it was infected. Hospital sorted me right out and then I checked into a fancy pants hotel for a night of recovery with a rooftop swimming pool.

Took a train from Alleppey to Cochin and met a lovely guy on Tinder who took me out for dinner on Valentines night. We explored the city for a few days and then I moved on up through Kanartaka to Goa.

Arrived in Canacona, South Goa and had to climb off the train onto the tracks and climb up onto a platform that was at least 5 foot high. Thankfully there were a few stones wobbling against the wall to use as a kind of step but my arrival was far from graceful. I arrived at my lovely little hotel (Castle House Hotel, Colomb Bay if anyone is going over there but hands off my Mandal!) and felt at home. Struggled with an internet connection and had a work deadline but decided rather than stress, I would go for a swim and when the electric would come back on, could get my work done. Got out of the pool but forgot flipflops so I flip flopped down a set of stairs and banjaxed my arm and back a bit. Had to go to a cafe and finally met the work deadline but from their on, things improved. The bar manager was friends of guy from England I had become friends with in Sri Lanka and we started chatting. He realised that I had his friend's sim card so he started texting me and charming me and eventually I gave in despite him being a lot younger! He was adorable. Apart from a few days away exploring further north in Goa, we were inseparable and he even kinda moved in with me when I rented a small cottage for a month near the hotel.

My 2 months in Goa were blissful. I spent days on the beach working and swimming and evenings with my fella. But I knew it had to end and I headed for Mumbai for a visit. Had a great tour of the city and slums over 3 days before heading to Udaipur in Rajashtan. Stunning place. Travelled from their to Jodhpur where I was the first paying guest in a Brahmin "Palace" and the owner tried to get me to meet him in another hotel in Pushkar coz he couldn't let his family see him fraternising with the guests! (I didn't as he was too sleazy and I was still crazy about my Goa boy). I then went to Jaislamer where I was treated like a queen by a friend of my sister's boyfriend's mother and taken for free by him to the desert where he runs camel tours (Kamal's Camel tours....tell him I sent ya!). I had a moonlight dinner of dal and naan in the desert with a few beers where I made friends with 2 Canadian girls. I also was on the back of a motorbike for the first time since I was 6 years old and I loved it! I left there on a night train to Ajmer and then on a scary bus journey to Pushkar. A stunning little town where I enjoyed evening wanders through markets and a wonderful massage from a slightly pervy old Indian guy.

After spending almost a week in Pushkar I went to Jaipur and treated myself to a really nice hotel with a lovely rooftop pool with views of the pink city. I took myself off to Agra after 2 relaxing days and got up at the crack of dawn to go to the Taj Mahal. It was stunning. The light changing by the minute just made it glisten and shine. After that a train took me to Delhi were I did a tour, drank cocktails in expensive hotels and paid 80 feckin euro to get my hair done! At times in India I hated the country and the pushy people, then other times I was completely in love, but at this stage I was glad to be leaving....next stop Kathmandu.

Nepal was like a slow motion version of India and much more to my liking overall. I spend a few days in Kathmandu before taking the scariest bus journey of my life to Pokhara. I met up with some people I had met in Goa and spent almost 2 weeks having the craic in the Himalayas. Am not much of a hiker but we did a bit a few days before I left and it was stunning. I knew I couldn't face the drive back to Kathmandu so I booked a flight. Best €100 I ever spent. Despite it being a tiny plane and me being quite sure for most of the trip that I was going to die, I was blissfully happy flying above the mountains and was thinking if I was going to die, it was a great way to go. I got back to Kathmandu for 2 days and met one of the nicest, sexiest guys I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We are still in touch and if I go back I will defo want to see him again.

While in Pokhara I was trying to decide where to next and the cheapest flight was to Kuala Lumpur. So I went.

What a life changing decision that has turned out to be! I fell head over heels in love with the city. I was staying just off Changkat which is like the Temple bar area of the city with every kind of bar and restaurant under the sun. I was within walking distance of some of the best shopping I have ever seen and felt like I could be in New York or Paris until I would go down a smaller street and there is a row of street food stalls or a market and I knew I was defo in Asia. It has the perfect mix for me.

I decided to go see Singapore but didn't like it much, went to Johor Bahu and Malacca on the way back to KL and really enjoyed them but as I drove into KL I got butterflies in my stomach and a feeling of "coming home". I decided that I wouldn't make a decision though until after I had spent a month in Bali and the Gili Islands meeting up with my sister, her boyfriend and one of her friends for 10 days.

I wasn't mad about Bali, but then I was working a lot and stayed mostly in Kuta which is like the Australia Benindorm. Ubud was fantastic though and I wish we had stayed longer but Gili Trawangen, a tiny Island off Bali was a slice of heaven. Met a totally crazy American guy who told us he was dying, was a drug smuggler and had once smuggled snakes in his jacket from South America to Florida. Even if only one of his stories were true, he was amazing entertainment. Headed back to KL and apart from a long weekend in the Indonesian side of Borneo for my birthday as a visa run and to fulfil a lifetime ambition of standing with one foot either side of the equator, I hadn't left my new home city until I came back to Ireland for a month a few weeks ago.

I have made friends, started a new job, found a lovely Turkish semi-boyfriend and just found a happiness in myself that I never knew existed. I will be sad saying goodbye to my sons, family and friends again on Wednesday week but I really can't wait to get back to my life. 2017 has been an almost perfect year.

TL/DR: Travelled a lot in Asia, scored lots of hotties and discovered a renewed love for life while ticking off bucket list items.

2018 has a lot to live up to but since my sister got engaged just before Christmas and it is looking like she will be married next year, we have a lot to be grateful for in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Can't say it was great.

Beginning of the year I ended a 20 year friendship with somebody, being he's a toxic, manipulative, lying a**ehole who'd step over anyone to get his way and see's no consequence to anything he does. Thinks everybody owes him something then when you give him whatever he wants, he's not grateful of it. Glad to be rid of him, I just feel sorry for his girlfriend who was also a good friend of mine and she doesn't see this streak he has. Manipulation disguised with charm.

Got on this course I wanted to get on, it's going ok other than the group behind the course won't give the funding allocated to us to pay for some labs we really needed, one person said the funding wasn't there and we went over his head and were told it was in fact there, but he were still unable to get the labs and the whole class are relying on large braindumps, basically exam papers with answers on them to pass the course which I don't exactly like doing, basically winging it all the way through. Passed the the first 2 exams well, messed up one and passed another after that. Have to repeat one as well as do another next week. Dreading it to be honest because I've basically been wrecked since Christmas being we've been hard at it since May with no time off and I haven't really been able to enjoy the Christmas due to being anxious about it, I don't like something like that hanging over my head when I want to enjoy the Christmas festivities and seeing family and friends.

Had two dates this year, one girl seemed ok that I saw in January, turned out to be a single mam, but was hung up on her ex, the father of her kid, going by what she told me he was a bit of a psycho. Normally I don't date single mothers but we were chatting on POF and I did like the sound of her. Maybe it was better off that nothing came of it, she was gorgeous though. Another date then with someone else, started out nice, seemed like she was into me, but after the first date it became damn near impossible to get to see her again. Kept leaving in longer and longer to give me a text back, then it became very "one word texts" which has always drove me up the wall, Kept making plans every weekend with her friends during the only time I had off to be able to get to see her, and then luring me back with sweetness and light when I start to lose interest, but when push came to shove she was just another time waster. F**king hate people like that.

It's been good seeing my one and only niece grow throughout the year though, she's one and a half now. Seeing her grow into this cute funny little person puts a smile on my face even when I've had a few bouts of general bulls**t throughout the year from fully grown people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

A good year for me and my family all healthy and happy and thats all thats important to me, hope next year will be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Monstrously difficult. To the point of literally feeling like I wasn't strong enough to get through it.

My dad died just over a week ago too. 2017 has tested me beyond every single limit I possess.

But.... I have grown so much as a person. My mind is a more peaceful place to live. I am making better decisions and doing things that set my heart on fire. I feel more and more like the person I always knew I could be and i've learned to be on my own side rather than in opposition of myself.

It has been worth every single bit of agony. I am excited for 2018! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Fairly non-descript, but better than 2016. It has had its highs and lows. I stepped out of my comfort zone on a number of occasions, and will continue to do so in 2018.

I guess I have learned some things this year, which I will try to take on board for the upcoming year. I want 2018 to be a great year for me, and will do my best to make it just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It was okay. Extremely worried about someone I care for who seems to be in an emotionally abusive/controlling relationship and it sucked watching someone struggle so bad with anxiety.

Work was good, stressful at times but overall I'm thrilled and it was the best thing for me. Delighted I left the other place.

Met some amazing people, pretty much gave up drinking (still have a few but was only drunk once or twice this year) and am in a good place.

2018, I need to up my game. I have so much I want to achieve and nows as good a time me than any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

disaster year.
    2018 here i come.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

bad. 2 close deaths in the family. my siblings and parents are hanging together by a thread. wife is depressed. kids are only thing keeping us going. everything looks good on the outside but struggled this year. lots of work next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

There are so many years where I couldn't name a single thing that happened in them. Like 2013. Can't think of a single thing I did that year. 2007 - who knows.

But I'll never forget 2017.

We found out my wife was pregnant at the end of 2016 but Jan 2017 was when we went for the 20 week scan. These scans are a big deal in my family whenever one happens as there hasn't been a girl born in my family for a century. So there we were all excited to see if we would be the first to break the run. And we did. It was a girl but we barely noticed. She had a serious heart condition. Very similar to Jimmy Kimmel's son.

Well that was a gut punch. We went home and reeled and returned to the hospital a few days later for more scans. They told us that the heart condition was either in isolation or was being caused by a genetic disorder, like Downs. Well that was another gut punch. They offered amniocentesis to confirm the genetic situation but we turned it down. It carries a 1% chance of miscarriage and the test offered us nothing valuable unless we wanted to end the pregnancy which we weren't interested in.

Well, the months went by and my wife was scanned nearly every week. It was an unreal pregnancy where it was impossible to enjoy the normal excitement. However, at every scan I asked was there any indication of genetic abnormalities, other than the heart. They said no every time.

Our daughter was born in may and she did have a genetic disorder. Not Downs, a different one with its own difficulties. I took it badly at the time but forced myself together after two days. Had a family to look after. She was three weeks in special care and then home. We were back to the hospital a lot and spent a month in Crumlin in the autumn.

Around this time, a serious of problems began to plague me. Our car packed it in and I had to shell out for a new one. Bought one and it turned out to be a dud. Went through a month of hell getting a refund (I eventually went to the office and refused to leave until he gave me the money. Got it in the end). Our roof leaked. Our boiler broke down on a Friday of a bank holiday weekend in November and I needed to buy a new one. Meanwhile our daughter was in the hospital fighting pneumonia and broncolitis. It all mounted up and I began to feel a bit like Job.

Anyway got through it in the end but I'm happy to leave 2017 behind. 2018 starts on Monday and on Wednesday our daughter has her heart surgery, the day that has haunted us since she was born. I'm not superstitious but I'm glad it's taking place in 2018 and not 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

I fell victim to the going to gigs again virus. It started with Black Sabbath in January. Changed jobs twice but the bargaining chips were on my side and its in-comprehensively mental what we are doing with 30,000 servers in work now. Got to Athens and Malta which I'd been meaning to do. The former is a great city, the latter a total tourist trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Mousewar wrote: »

Anyway got through it in the end but I'm happy to leave 2017 behind. 2018 starts on Monday and on Wednesday our daughter has her heart surgery, the day that has haunted us since she was born. I'm not superstitious but I'm glad it's taking place in 2018 and not 2017.

I wish your daughter and the rest of your family the very best. My little one has only ever needed minor surgeries and even they were tough going on us. I hope 2018 is brighter for you.

bad. 2 close deaths in the family. my siblings and parents are hanging together by a thread. wife is depressed. kids are only thing keeping us going. everything looks good on the outside but struggled this year. lots of work next year.

Hope 2018 is better for you guys. Take care

Wurly wrote: »
    Monstrously difficult. To the point of literally feeling like I wasn't strong enough to get through it.

My dad died just over a week ago too. 2017 has tested me beyond every single limit I possess.

But.... I have grown so much as a person. My mind is a more peaceful place to live. I am making better decisions and doing things that set my heart on fire. I feel more and more like the person I always knew I could be and i've learned to be on my own side rather than in opposition of myself.

It has been worth every single bit of agony. I am excited for 2018! :)

Good to see how you have mentally strengthened beir bua

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

An improvement on 2016 and 2015 for me. Things have been sort of on the up since I was in a sort of bad way mentally in 2015 and 2016 but it only rock bottom in mid 2016 and things have been gradually on the up ever since. Still things could be better and I'm looking forward to 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Decent. Got promoted, missus was made permanent, bought a house and went to the sister in laws wedding which was fantastic craic. If I could only be a bit more grateful for what I have it'd be much better. 2018 goals.

O and I got engaged. Herself wouldn't be impressed if I forgot that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

thomil wrote: »
    The first half wasn’t actually all that bad. I had some success at work, and a project that I had hoped to get underway finally seemed ready to go. Then, in June, everything took a nosedive.

My mother was hospitalised due to complications with her cancer treatment. A week later, she was transferred to ICU, and a day after that, she was placed in an induced coma. The same evening, my dad told me that I should „start looking for flights“ to Germany. I don’t think I need to explain the implication of that phrase. Well, the next day, Saturday, my dad was hospitalised as well, and ended up in the quarantine ward with a Norovirus infection. I managed to get a flight out on Tuesday, and my mom passed away on Wednesday morning. I‘d tried to get to see her immediately after landing, but wasn’t allowed into her room.

A month later, shortly after I‘d visited my dad for my birthday, he was hospitalised again with stroke-like symptoms. Turns out it wasn’t a stroke, but three meningal tumours that has started to block off circulation to parts of his brain. He got them removed, and recovered fast enough to pick me up at Frankfurt Airport when I flew over for my mother’s funeral three weeks after his surgery. When I came back from the funeral, I found that my rent had been terminated and I needed to find a new place.

Well, back in early November, I flew back to Germany for my dad‘s birthday. He’d recovered extremely well and was planning to drive to Cork over Christmas and New Years. The birthday went really well, my dad was relaxed, happy, optimistic, all the things he hadn’t been since my mom passed away. Then, three days after I‘d flown back to Ireland, my dad didn’t answer my daily phone call, and also didn’t react to emails or texts. I asked the neighbors to check on him, and they found him sitting in his favourite chair, almost like he was asleep. He‘d passed away only hours earlier.

So, now I’m the last remaining member of my family, I‘ve got m dad‘s funeral coming up in early January, I‘m still in the middle of moving from one apartment to another, my performance at work has plummeted since my mother’s death to the point where I have to fear for my job, and the funeral costs will likely eat up what little financial reserves I have left. Oh, and to top it off, I‘ve since found out that my parents had amassed a significant amount of debt, mostly springing from issues with their private health insurance.

I‘ll be extremely glad to finally see the end of 2017, and I hope that no one ever has to go through the same kind of nightmare.

Sorry for your troubles, mind yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭4Ad

Not bad. My Father is still with us (though in the hospital at the moment) 2017 started and finished on a high, had some good trips and gigs !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Nobody died close to me so any year that happens to me is a good one.

Took the kids away for their first foreign holiday in 6 years and it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Overall, I’m somewhat satisfied with how 2017 played out.

I completed the academic year with respectable grades and developed a closer relationship with my family which is hugely important for me. I started learning to drive and saved over 70% of my money from my summer job which aided my move from Ireland to Germany in the last quarter of 2017. Since moving, I’ve been trying to push myself out of comfort zone - asking girls out, public speaking, educating myself about topics that I’m ignorant of.

I’ve had a fair few failures aswell. Fitness needs to improve, as does my ability to deal with people. My diet is also an area I must work on. No one close to me died and I’m still healthy so I can’t complain that much.

In 2018 I'm going to keep striving to improve myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

My nephew was born and my brother got married so good all round on the family front. Myself and himself agreed on our elopement plan so sort of technically got engaged. Had the holiday of a lifetime in Canada in October. Got closer to a very good friend. Mid-December I got a promotion which will FINALLY allow us to apply for a mortgage so here's to 2018. Which I am seeing in dying from a bug thanks to minding aforementioned nephew while his parents were sick :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Not one of my better years thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭jellybear

Quite mixed...

My uncle passed away quite suddenly and other family members have been unwell.

On the plus side I got married in July :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,674 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Very forgettable, little to nothing notable happened.

But hey, it was miles better than the dreadful experience that was 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Got married, got pregnant (in no particular order!)...moved house. Work was hectic during all this but got a nice payrise and bonus as a result.

No major dramas but a few things with people opened my eyes a bit more, I guess that's natural as you get older. Plus being drink-free for the first time in a long time had changed my perceptions a bit.

Great year for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Overall, I found it to be better than 2016. Okay, but nothing amazing for me.

Quite a year for games, and a more well-rounded one than 2016 in that regard.

And the Junior Cert results, which despite all the anger over my English results, were good in every other aspect, being either a B or a C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Gave up the fags on the 9th of February. Still chuffed at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Still lonely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Gave up the fags on the 9th of February. Still chuffed at that.

I'm glad you are.

sryanbruen and I absolutely despise them. They confer no benefit to the health of organisms, and only serve as a waste of our lives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement