Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 Peaks Cycle Challenge

Options
  • 19-12-2017 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

A slightly demented friend of mine is planning a charity cycle next Summer for Purple House Cancer Support. It involves cycling from Bray to Lugnaquilla; climbing it; cycling to Carrauntoohil; climbing it; cycling to Mweelrae; climbing it; cycling to Slieve Donard; yes, climbing it before cycling back to Bray. This will involve 1175 km of cycling and about 55 km of hiking over seven or eight days.

Can it be done? Well nobody has tried it and succeeded before as far as he can determine. He has a core group signed up already to do some or all of it with him, all equally mad no doubt.

More info at https://www.facebook.com/4peakscyclingpurplehouse/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 flash84962

I would say very doable.

A friend of mine about 8 years ago, cycled to the highest mountain in every county and climbed over August . I thing it was something like average 50 miles a day and a climb. For charity.

Secondly a group in mayo, the longest day challenge. Cycled to and climbed Nephin, Croagh Patrick and Mweelrea in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Can it be done?

Well, yes it can. But it won't be easy. He'd be looking at 200+ km per day for each day he's not climbing.

Weather will be a big factor in this. Carrauntoohill is dangerous in bad weather, but Mweelrea is far riskier. Lug can be disorienting in fog, Slieve Donard is the least risky of them, but still no place in poor weather.

I'd definitely have a local knowledgeable guide for each of them.

I'd factor in the whole thing taking 10 days to make it easier. They'd be the first to have a go so no records to be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Does the bike have to go over your shoulder CX style while climbing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

No. But they will need to bring good locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Only if you're even more mad than I think you are 😜. I suppose at least you could cycle back down.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    No. But they will need to bring good locks.

The plan is to have a support van so they won't be cycling with their hiking boots over their shoulders or have to worry about their bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

"Does the bike have to go over your shoulder CX style while climbing?"

Why not mountain bike it, n camp between assents B&B it so mobile base camps.

Then can ride down far more of the tops

• Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"Does the bike have to go over your shoulder CX style while climbing?"

Why not mountain bike it, n camp between assents B&B it so mobile base camps.

Then can ride down far more of the tops

you might get up Lug on a MTB but I think Carrauntoohil (thank you copy&paste) might be a bit trickier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

loyatemu wrote: »
    you might get up Lug on a MTB but I think Carrauntoohil (thank you copy&paste) might be a bit trickier.
    You'd get to the bottom of the devils ladder easy enough though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I usually take opportunities like this to mention Robbie Bryson and his day out.

Start at top of Lugnaquilla - run down to bike - cycle to Galtymore - run up and down - cycle to reeks - run up and down those - cycle to Brandon - run up that - stop the watch.
    23 and half hours.

On Topic - yes very doable, enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

@Enduro might be able to do that without a bike in 10 days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

flash84962 wrote: »
    A friend of mine about 8 years ago, cycled to the highest mountain in every county
    i'd say there were some counties that finding the highest point was not easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

ford2600 wrote: »
    @Enduro might be able to do that without a bike in 10 days.

:) That actually sounds about right!

Funilly enough this very idea was something I thought about doing (The OP's idea, with bike) in the past as I was just getting annoyed about all the lads driving between the peaks and climbing them, and then claiming it as a record (Which reached peak pointlessness when someone organised to helicopter between them). Robbie Bryson's heroics doing the Irish Munroes by human power is one of the most outstanding athletic achievements I've read about, so he was inspring me to try something similar with the 4 peaks. In my own case I realsied it was fundamentally a cycle challenge, with a small bit of hill running thrown in for good measure, And I was a good runner, but average cyclist, so would be better left to someone of Joe Barr's ilk to really take this on and smash it.

OP, 10 days is absolutely do-able once you've got the trainning done. Best of luck with it. It'll be great to see someone complete the 4 peaks fully by human power. The first "proper" record for doing them IMO!

Enduro wrote: »

OP, 10 days is absolutely do-able once you've got the trainning done. Best of luck with it. It'll be great to see someone complete the 4 peaks fully by human power. The first "proper" record for doing them IMO!

Thanks Enduro. I will pass your encouraging words on to Danny as I don't think he is on Boards.

As mentioned above, he is looking at doing the circuit over seven or eight days but that could change. His main goals are to complete it and to raise as much money as possible for Purple House. Last year he cycled to Istanbul for the same cause so he is pretty determined.

I am tempted to join him for Lug and Donard and some of the cycling. The great unknown is how sore climbing (and descending) muscles will impact on the cycling. I don't get up the hills often enough to avoid aching legs for a few days after.

If anyone else is tempted, or would like to support him, check out his FB page linked in the first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Supported or unsupported?

Whichever option, I'd be inclined tp pick a nice quite route; it's going to be a once off may as well enjoy it.

I could probably map something decent from Wicklow to Kerry and onto Connaught if he hasn't that sorted.

if unsupported routing through well serviced areas and knowing bike shop locations/contact details would be an idea

A genesis Datum type bike, with 30mm tyres would allow for comfort, speed and easy off road to base of climbs

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Danny mc 42

Thanks for starting this trend or message. Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Danny mc 42

Enduro wrote: »
    :) That actually sounds about right!

Funilly enough this very idea was something I thought about doing (The OP's idea, with bike) in the past as I was just getting annoyed about all the lads driving between the peaks and climbing them, and then claiming it as a record (Which reached peak pointlessness when someone organised to helicopter between them). Robbie Bryson's heroics doing the Irish Munroes by human power is one of the most outstanding athletic achievements I've read about, so he was inspring me to try something similar with the 4 peaks. In my own case I realsied it was fundamentally a cycle challenge, with a small bit of hill running thrown in for good measure, And I was a good runner, but average cyclist, so would be better left to someone of Joe Barr's ilk to really take this on and smash it.

Hi enduro I am the man putting the event together. It could be done faster but 7 days will set a good challenge but a doable challenge ant the same time. The more people participating in the event the more money raised which is the goal.

If you are interested in doing it let me know

Latest schedule from the Event page on FB. The dates are August 11 - 17th:

7 Days - 4 Mountains - 1,225km Cycle - Purple House and YOU!

For the first time ever attempted, we are going to climb Ireland's highest peaks and travel between them by human powered means, by bike!

Join us for this unique challenge and help us to support families affected by Cancer in Ireland.

Day 1: Cycle from Purple House Cancer Support Centre in Bray to Cashel 195km on the bike plus climb Lugnaquilla.

Day 2 Cycle from Cashel to Killarney 170km plus climb Carrauntoohil.

Day 3 Cycle from Killarney to Galway 195km (no climb today!)

Day 4 Cycle from Galway to Swinford 165km plus climb Mweelrea

Day 5 Cycle from Swinford to Newry 235km (no climb today!)

Day 6 Cycle from Newry to Slane 165km plus climb Slieve Donard.

Day 7 Cycle from Slane to Purple House Cancer Support Centre in Bray 100km -Finish!

To sign up and to register your interest please email info@purplehouse.ie or phone 012866966

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i'd say there were some counties that finding the highest point was not easy?

some of them are a bit underwhelming to say the least! but then some of the low ones are also the most surprising, Loughcrew / Slieve na Calliagh in Meath only takes a few minutes but has a massive cairn at the top, along with amazing views on a clear day.

to do all of them in a year is quite a popular challenge, which I did in 2013. it's referred to as the county tops challenge and there's even a book on it with GPS co-ordinates for start points of the routes etc.

this site is also great for information / tips etc.

having read this thread, I did the very soft version which involved driving to each and spread it out over the full year. was a brilliant way to see loads of the country and obviously get fresh air and exercise thrown in for free.

and what others have said about weather conditions is very true, I've been up Lugnaquilla and Mweelrea in awful weather with very poor visibility and they're not good places to be if you aren't well kitted out and able to properly navigate.

that's enough thread derailment for now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Giving this a wee bump.

Signed up for this after finding this thread a few months ago. Less than 3 weeks to go, half excited, half bricking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Best of luck to all involved. Seriously tough challenge! :eek:

With thanks to the mods, I'm just adding a few social links we're running for this, please feel free to like, share and subscribe. You can see how we're getting on, maybe win a prize or 2 and see where we're at if you fancy sharing some of the road with us.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/4PeaksChallenge
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/4PeaksCycle

Getting bloody close now!

Best of luck with it P_1. Saw Danny and Cathal on TV3 earlier https://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/809/146652/0/Ireland-AM

Hope to see how you are all getting on during the seven days if any of you have the energy to write a post or two.

For anyone who wants to contribute the iDonate page is at https://www.idonate.ie/fundraiser/11371073_purple-house-4-peaks-challenge.html

Best of luck with it P_1. Saw Danny and Cathal on TV3 earlier https://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/809/146652/0/Ireland-AM

Hope to see how you are all getting on during the seven days if any of you have the energy to write a post or two.

For anyone who wants to contribute the iDonate page is at https://www.idonate.ie/fundraiser/11371073_purple-house-4-peaks-challenge.html

Thanks. We will keep the Facebook and Twitter up so date! Now to pack...

We've made it to Killarney!
    2 bloody tough days.
    Up before dawn to Climb Carauntoohil then cycling off to Galway!

Hope the weather on Carauntoohil is ok for you in the morning. Was hillwalking near the Wicklow Gap this afternoon and it was a bit miserable. Would have been a whole lot worse in the Reeks..

Great to see you have made it to Galway. That must have been a seriously tough day doing Carauntoohill at 5.30 and then cycling from there to Galway. Hopefully you'll be luckier with conditions tomorrow and today's effort won't have drained too much energy.

That was tough. Running into some unpleasant bowel issues thanks to some gone off protein bars but battling through it.

At least I know the way tomorrow!

Another tough day today. Mweelrae with 15m visibility and 70kph gusts is an interesting climb...

• Advertisement

Made it to Newry. I may have fallen off my bike at a high speed along the way! 1 more peak then a gentle 80k spin into Bray on Friday ahead of us. If you're of a loose end please feel free to join us.

Advertisement