Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing some research on Outlander GX4H PHEV

• 19-12-2017 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Thinking of changing from my diesel C-Crosser to an Outlander PHEV in the new year. No longer doing any mileage so electric would suit my needs. Also need its 1500KG towing capacity occasionally. Doing a bit of research on the Outlander & have a few queries.
    • Does mileage matter. Never had a problem buying higher mileage petrol or diesel but if car had say 80,000 miles that would mean that the batteries would have had many charges. Does that affect the life of the batteries
    • It can be charged at home overnight via a 13amp plug. Is that correct?. I already have an outdoor socket. Do i just leave it plugged in overnight?.
    • Anyone familiar with the Outlander 2.0 petrol. Does it have a timing belt or chain. Done a Google but can't find much info. Interested in finding out what mileage it must be changed.

Looks like there is a bit of value by going over to England & buying one. Selling the C-Crosser mightn't be as easy.

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks,

T.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

TigerTim wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thinking of changing from my diesel C-Crosser to an Outlander PHEV in the new year. No longer doing any mileage so electric would suit my needs. Also need its 1500KG towing capacity occasionally. Doing a bit of research on the Outlander & have a few queries.
    • Does mileage matter. Never had a problem buying higher mileage petrol or diesel but if car had say 80,000 miles that would mean that the batteries would have had many charges. Does that affect the life of the batteries
    • It can be charged at home overnight via a 13amp plug. Is that correct?. I already have an outdoor socket. Do i just leave it plugged in overnight?.
    • Anyone familiar with the Outlander 2.0 petrol. Does it have a timing belt or chain. Done a Google but can't find much info. Interested in finding out what mileage it must be changed.

Looks like there is a bit of value by going over to England & buying one. Selling the C-Crosser mightn't be as easy.

I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks,

T.

Be sure when timing about insurance that you tell clerk that’s a hybrid as cheaper that standard petrol /diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

My sister is thinking of buying an outlander too...some great deals available at cargiant in London and VRT is low as it's a hybrid.. Let us know if you invest!

I'd always go for a low mileage model, regardless of engine, as the wear and tear on the inside will be minimal with say, 20k on the clock whereas something with 80k will be a bit "worn"... You can then sell on with relatively low mileage in a few years. Easier sell a car with 80k than 180k...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I left this one alone thinking someone else would explain more than I can.

Mileage matters, but a lot less on the EV side of things. The motor has very few moving parts, but as you will have an engine too, there will be servicing requirements there. Mileage also matters for general wear and tear, but if you're going for the facelift model, the mileage won't be high for most of them.

The battery is small to begin with, so even if there was 20% capacity loss, it wouldn't make a huge difference. There is also no guarantee that the previous owner ever charged the battery. I wouldn't think too much about it, as your longer journeys will be mostly using petrol.

Yes, it can be charged overnight from a 13amp plug. You need a granny charge cable for that, which should come with the car. Plug it in and leave it. The car stops charging when full.

You can also use a faster charger to charge at 16 or 32amps from a public slow charger. You need the correct cable which can be found here. The outlander might also come with this cable. You need to ask.

Finally, you can also use a rapid charger to charge from 0-80% in about 30 minutes. But you should only ever do this if there is nobody at the rapid charger and if someone in a BEV comes along, you should unplug. It is very inconsiderate to keep a BEV owner waiting when you are charging such a small battery and you have petrol as a back-up. The same should be considered if you plug into a slow charger. You could be blocking someone who needs it.

This video covers it all.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca3A_OiFRAY

I am not 100% on the engine. I know it's a 2 litre Mivec and is used to assist the battery by providing more power to the dual motors when necessary, such as when overtaking, or driving on motorways. It has timing chain and the only belt is for the water pump. I don't know anything of service intervals, but I would change the oil every 5k klms, which I always did for any ICE I had.
    Looks like there is a bit of value by going over to England & buying one.

Yes, that's where you have value and choice. Over here you will be punished for not wanting the Diesel model.

Check out Westbrook Motors on Park Gate St Dublin, when herself got her Diesel Outlander the PHEV was actually going around the same price and was a higher spec too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

goz83 wrote: »
    ...you can also use a rapid charger to charge from 0-80% in about 30 minutes. But you should only ever do this if there is nobody at the rapid charger and if someone in a BEV comes along, you should unplug. It is very inconsiderate to keep a BEV owner waiting when you are charging such a small battery and you have petrol as a back-up. The same should be considered if you plug into a slow charger. You could be blocking someone who needs it.

It charges from zero to 80% in 20 minutes. If a BEV owner can't tolerate waiting that long then they shouldn't have bought a BEV. It goes with the territory.

• Advertisement

gizmo555 wrote: »
    It charges from zero to 80% in 20 minutes. If a BEV owner can't tolerate waiting that long then they shouldn't have bought a BEV. It goes with the territory.

0-80% in 30 minutes.....longer in colder weather.

PHEV owners who block BEVs to charge their tiny battery is the height of inconsideration. Outlander owner are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If a BEV owner can't tolerate waiting that long then they shouldn't have bought a BEV. It goes with the territory.

Anyone who can plug in is entitled to do so. That said, it is against charging etiquette to keep fast charging your PHEV when a BEV needs a charge, as goz83 rightly pointed out.

As a rex owner I would not hold up anyone out of spite but I would take some juice and head on.

I don't think a 20 min wait is huge, the worst experiences I had at chargers was from BEV owners disappearing altogether, so if someone wants 20 odd mins I don't see why someone would get in a hissy for over that.

unkel wrote: »
    ... it is against charging etiquette to keep fast charging your PHEV when a BEV needs a charge, as goz83 rightly pointed out.

And who invented this "etiquette"? Like I said, it takes at most 20 minutes to charge my PHEV and it's fully in keeping with the terms and conditions for the use of the public charging infrastructure. If the BEV "needs" the charge, all it has to do is wait.

No point derailing the thread because someone has a small battery complex. We all know what the etiquette is and that need comes before greed.

I hope the OP has the info he was looking for.

As a rex owner I would not hold up anyone out of spite but I would take some juice and head on.

I don't think a 20 min wait is huge, the worst experiences I had at chargers was from BEV owners disappearing altogether, so if someone wants 20 odd mins I don't see why someone would get in a hissy for over that.

Your battery would at least take a meaning amount of energy in 20 minutes, giving you lots of range. So it's not as bad as someone charging a battery only big enough to go a few miles.

I have no problem with a PHEV using the public network. I just don't think they should hold up a BEV for any amount of time.

• Advertisement

No point derailing the thread because someone has a small battery complex.

It is not derailing the thread. On the contrary. The OP says he's researching the use of Outlander PHEVs. You and unkel then announce that "etiquette" requires that he always defers to BEV drivers at fast charging points.

I just want to point out to the OP that this etiquette exists only in your imaginations and that there is absolutely no such requirement in the T&Cs for the use of charging points.

(And, to answer your question, yes I own an Outlander PHEV. My experience is that it never takes longer than 20 minutes to get to 80%.)

It is not derailing the thread. On the contrary. The OP says he's researching the use of Outlander PHEVs. You and unkel then announce that "etiquette" requires that he always defers to BEV drivers at fast charging points.

I just want to point out to the OP that this etiquette exists only in your imaginations and that there is absolutely no such requirement in the T&Cs for the use of charging points.

I am pretty sure that my point was made and highlighted in red, so as to make it clear. The OP may not have even been aware that the Outlander PHEV had a rapid charge port. The OP is free to make up his own mind.

Fair enough if you're not the type to follow etiquette. I think most EV and PHEV owners are decent though and have consideration for others, some of whom might need a charge.

I wasn't really asking if you were an Outlander PHEV owner. It was rhetorical. Obviously you are an Outlander PHEV owner. The tone of the post was clear enough.

The OP is free to make up his own mind.

Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And who invented this "etiquette"?

Society. In similar fashion it's not illegal to fart in a restaurant. But it is rude to do so.

unkel wrote: »
    Society.

Yes, the society of BEV owners like yourself who have an unjustified sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Orebro

Sounds like you're the one with the sense of entitlement. Would you also jump queues since you don't believe in etiquette?

Anyway, why anyone would wait that long to get such limited range is beyond me - surely your time is more valuable to you than that?

Orebro wrote: »
    Sounds like you're the one with the sense of entitlement. Would you also jump queues since you don't believe in etiquette?

unkel and goz83 are the people who say that they have the right to jump queues, if there's a PHEV ahead of them. And, since my tax pays for the public charging infrastructure the same as yours and I comply fully with the T&Cs, I am entitled to use it in the same way as any BEV driver.
    Anyway, why anyone would wait that long to get such limited range is beyond me - surely your time is more valuable to you than that?

I have a home charging point and on average I'd only use a public FCP perhaps once a month. It would typically be like yesterday, when I was I on a long road journey and needed to stop anyway for a break.

unkel and goz83 apparently think that when I do so, I should wait in my car and immediately unplug if any BEV should arrive. But, as usual, there were no other EVs ahead of or after me - in fact, I have never come back to my car to find another EV waiting. My repeated experience shows, therefore, that the "greed" or "rudeness" which unkel and goz83 refer to - like their "etiquette" - is purely imaginary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

gizmo
    Talking about imaginary:
    And, since my tax pays for the public charging infrastructure

The above is a serious candidate for the imagination department, or perhaps you can help us with this.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

gizmo
    Talking about imaginary:
    And, since my tax pays for the public charging infrastructure

The above is a serious candidate for the imagination department, or perhaps you can help us with this.

Well, where do you think the funding comes from? Perhaps it would be more accurate to say my tax contributes to it, just like yours, but I'm sure you know what I meant.

unkel and goz83 are the people who say that they have the right to jump queues, if there's a PHEV ahead of them. And, since my tax pays for the public charging infrastructure the same as yours and I comply fully with the T&Cs, I am entitled to use it in the same way as any BEV driver.

How far does that entitlement stretch before you think it's unreasonable?

If I am at a rapid charger and another EV pulls in, I unplug if I have enough power to get me to where I need to go. Was that you yesterday evening at the M50/M1 Topaz? An Outlander pulled in and I unplugged and went on my way at 60% power.

Anyway, if you were comfortable in your belief, you wouldn't be so defensive about it.

• Advertisement

How far does that entitlement stretch before you think it's unreasonable?

Firstly, I have never actually experienced another driver waiting for me to charge. Secondly, if one was, given that I'd take at most 20 minutes to charge on average the other driver would be waiting about 10 minutes. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
    Was that you yesterday evening at the M50/M1 Topaz?

No.
    Anyway, if you were comfortable in your belief, you wouldn't be so defensive about it.

Well, excuse me for being defensive about being described as greedy, rude and equivalent to deliberately farting in a restaurant. :rolleyes:

Firstly, I have never actually experienced another driver waiting for me to charge. Secondly, if one was, given that I'd take at most 20 minutes to charge on average the other driver would be waiting about 10 minutes. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That didn't really answer the question, which wasn't rhetorical this time. I wanted to know how far you think your entitlement stretches before you think it's unreasonable.

It's also possible you never witnessed anyone waiting for you, because they saw a big PHEV and didn't want to wait for it. Some EV drivers don't wait if there is another car charging. They drive to the next one, or risk completing their journey on a low battery.

Would you think it was acceptable for a PHEV to block a rapid charge point if the PHEV didn't have a rapid charge port and was using the slow charge cable? And I mean properly blocked, so the rapid charge cable cannot be utilised.

That didn't really answer the question, which wasn't rhetorical this time. I wanted to know how far you think your entitlement stretches before you think it's unreasonable.

My entitlement stretches to using the infrastructure in compliance with the terms and conditions, which is what I always do.
    It's also possible you never witnessed anyone waiting for you, because they saw a big PHEV and didn't want to wait for it. Some EV drivers don't wait if there is another car charging. They drive to the next one, or risk completing their journey on a low battery.

Well, that would be their choice. However, if they choose not to wait but travel on, then by definition they don't "need" - as you keep putting it - to use the FCP.
    Would you think it was acceptable for a PHEV to block a rapid charge point if the PHEV didn't have a rapid charge port and was using the slow charge cable? And I mean properly blocked, so the rapid charge cable cannot be utilised.

You tell me. Is it contrary to the ecars terms & conditions? Are drivers properly made aware of the difficulty it may cause for other drivers? Are the charging points poorly designed if this happens often? (For the avoidance of doubt, this is not something I personally have ever have done.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Orebro

Once pay for charging comes in it’ll see the end of most PHEVs on the rapids anyway.

You tell me. Is it contrary to the ecars terms & conditions? Are drivers properly made aware of the difficulty it may cause for other drivers? Are the charging points poorly designed if this happens often? (For the avoidance of doubt, this is not something I personally have ever have done.)

That's all I needed to know. Good evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's all I needed to know. Good evening.
    Yes, you meet some inconsiderate people in all walks of life. It just seems that until now our innocent world of milk and cookies EV network avoided them. Until the last 6 months IMO.
    Once pay for charging comes in it’ll see the end of most PHEVs on the rapids anyway.
    +1
    If the UK is anything to go by it will anyway. They brought in pay for charging specifically to remove the outlander from using the FCP. There's an interesting video interview done with Dale Vince (Ecotricity) by Robert Lewellyn where he explains this.

Electricity is still cheaper than petrol/Diesel even if it costs twice the daily rate.

Electricity is still cheaper than petrol/Diesel even if it costs twice the daily rate.

Lets assume you are paying 30c/kWh like in the UK.

30c per kWh
    1kWh gets you 6 km (assuming 17kWh/100km efficiency, the Outlander would normally be worse than this).

To drive that same 6km in a 50mpg diesel.( the Outlander would for sure be worse than this).
    50mpg = 4.7l/100km
    6km requires 0.28 litres (4.7/16.667)
    0.28 litres of diesel at €1.3/l is 36 cents. ( but the Outlander uses petrol at €1.45/l - making it 40 cents for the outlander).

So the diesel car is 20% more expensive, allowing "Nil" for time costs.

If you actually take double the "daily rate" (17*2=34) 34c/kWh, it makes it 34 vs 36 cents. The outlander does not do 50mpg (more like 40, if that) without charging, so for the outlander, even discounting the time cost of waiting to charge, if you are paying for the electricity it doesn't make sense.

PS: All the above is why the EH in the UK put the pricing in, to remove PHEV as it doesnt make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

may need to readjust your maths
    50mpg = 4.7l/100km in US
    50mpg = 5.6l/100km in UK/IRL imperial

• Advertisement

It's not about the money. I charge at FCPs where it's convenient and I'm taking a driving break anyway to reduce my fossil fuel consumption. If I had to pay a reasonable per kWh rate, I'd still do it even if there was no saving - the current monetary saving is pretty small anyway and would just about pay for a cup of coffee while the car charges. On the other hand, as I use FCPs relatively seldom, it would make much less sense if I had to pay a minimum monthly access payment.

For the moment, free access to the public charging infrastructure remains because of the slow uptake on EVs. You guys just need to get over it ... maybe the changes to BIK will make a difference.

ftm2008 wrote: »
    may need to readjust your maths
    50mpg = 4.7l/100km in US
    50mpg = 5.6l/100km in UK/IRL imperial
    That will teach me to use google conversions:o

It's not about the money. I charge at FCPs where it's convenient and I'm taking a driving break anyway to reduce my fossil fuel consumption. If I had to pay a reasonable per kWh rate, I'd still do it even if there was no saving - the current monetary saving is pretty small anyway and would just about pay for a cup of coffee while the car charges. On the other hand, as I use FCPs relatively seldom, it would make much less sense if I had to pay a minimum monthly access payment.
    This is all true and is borne out by the UK experience.
    I had been considering the outlander phev myself and my attitude would have been the same as yours.

But with one caveat - I'd have left a note in the window if leaving the car (eg at a services to get coffee) with my phone number. Having driven over 60k km in a 24kWh leaf I know how it feels to arrive at an FCP enroute and have it occupied by anyone, let alone a PHEV who doesnt need the charge.
    For the moment, free access to the public charging infrastructure remains because of the slow uptake on EVs. You guys just need to get over it ... maybe the changes to BIK will make a difference.

No one needs to "get over" anything.
    It's an etiquette/decency/social contract, like the above (however funny) example of the farting loudly in a restaurant. There's no law or requirement against it, there's not even any signs. People just know not to do it.

As someone on the autism spectrum I often struggle with etiquette/expected social behaviours in general as I don't pick up on social queues. But if I can "get" it there's no excuse for the general populous.

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's an etiquette/decency/social contract ...

Well, that's where we'll have to agree to differ. My contract is with ecars and nobody else.

So far as being considerate or polite goes, my repeated personal experience has not indicated I'm causing any difficulty or inconvenience to anybody through my use of FCPs.

This is some thread derailment !

Well, that's where we'll have to agree to differ. My contract is with ecars and nobody else.

So far as being considerate or polite goes, my repeated personal experience has not indicated I'm causing any difficulty or inconvenience to anybody through my use of FCPs.

There is no contract with anyone.
    Let's leave it at that, and just hope that neither of us meet the other at a chargepoint so! :P
    This is some thread derailment !
    Arah it is and it isn't
    The outlander is a contentious topic in the BEV world both here and in the UK due to its fcp (ab)use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭pawrick

Been keeping an eye on this thread.

Some great deals in the UK 2nd hand outlanders which makes them very tempting as a next purchase if only the battery was a little larger. Also noticing them appear in local garages more often.

Anyone with one anything bad to say on the drive experience, lines of sight etc or any other foibles which grate over time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

ELM327 wrote: »
    But with one caveat - I'd have left a note in the window if leaving the car (eg at a services to get coffee) with my phone number.

I do not get why people are OK with publicly displaying their personal phone number on a valuable asset of theirs, in this world of increasing social engineering - not to mention the usual thieves and nutjobs. I don't do this even when selling my cars. Privacy and information security takes precedence over courtesy, for me.

I do not get why people are OK with publicly displaying their personal phone number on a valuable asset of theirs, in this world of increasing social engineering - not to mention the usual thieves and nutjobs. I don't do this even when selling my cars. Privacy and information security takes precedence over courtesy, for me.
    If someone wants to find your phone number for fraud they will find a way to do it, regardless of what you make public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭TigerTim

pawrick wrote: »
    Been keeping an eye on this thread.

Some great deals in the UK 2nd hand outlanders which makes them very tempting as a next purchase if only the battery was a little larger. Also noticing them appear in local garages more often.

Anyone with one anything bad to say on the drive experience, lines of sight etc or any other foibles which grate over time?

Thanks for all the replies.Getting back on topic, I'd also be interested in peoples experience with the Outlander. In the comparison with Diesel, we mustn't forget the dreaded DPF & also DPF fluid. Because I'm now doing very little mileage, mostly town driving, I had to get the DPF cleaned late last year (About €300 including removal/refitting IIRC). Last July the DPF pouch ran dry. Its a Citroen only part - €409 euro just for the fluid. That's why I'm really considering the PHEV. No longer need a diesel.

T.

Do you need the space ? i3 Rex is a great car and got a hell of a lot more EV range with the generator as backup, it never drives the wheels just used as backup.

• Advertisement

Need something high & also need the 1500KG towing capacity occasionally,

Thanks,

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Thanks for all the replies.Getting back on topic, I'd also be interested in peoples experience with the Outlander. In the comparison with Diesel, we mustn't forget the dreaded DPF & also DPF fluid. Because I'm now doing very little mileage, mostly town driving, I had to get the DPF cleaned late last year (About €300 including removal/refitting IIRC). Last July the DPF pouch ran dry. Its a Citroen only part - €409 euro just for the fluid. That's why I'm really considering the PHEV. No longer need a diesel.

T.

Fingers crossed I am getting one for 24h test drive today and will come back to you with a feedback.

I'd also be interested in peoples experience with the Outlander.

I've had mine for a bit more than a year now. Very smooth to drive, but nippy enough for its size when you need it. Does about 25 miles on a full charge before switching to petrol. This is just about the distance of my wife's round trip commute, which she uses the PHEV for, so she can do almost all of her regular daily driving on the battery. For longer journeys with the whole family on board it has plenty of room for five plus all our baggage.

No reliability problems, only niggles were a fault on the little light inside the charging port door, which was replaced under warranty and slight growth of algae inside the rear lights, which is apparently a known design flaw.

You can find answers to just about any question you may have about the car on: http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/

(PS - today, December 22nd is the last day for applications for the free installation of a home charging point. This scheme is being replaced with a €600 grant - https://www.seai.ie/grants/electric-vehicle-grants/electric-vehicle-home-charger-grant/)

peposhi wrote: »
    Fingers crossed I am getting one for 24h test drive today and will come back to you with a feedback.

I'll be very interested to hear your views.

T.

I'll be very interested to hear your views.

T.

Here some feedback, TigerTim

Thanks to Phil from Electric Autos I managed to take a GH4 PHEV Outlander for a 24h test drive.
    I have seen quite a few already charging at Junction14 and normally would have a quick look around them. This time I got to see the car properly.

Pros:
    Build quality - very good. A car built to last was what came to my mind every time I sat in it.

Nice interior - all leather (tough leather, not some thiny layer that would get ripped by your nail). Plenty of buttons to control different functions, but nothing overboard. Heated seats and electronic seat position controls very handy .

Size - magnificent. Going from an Audi A4 Avant to a Leaf was a step down for me in terms of internal space and boot capability. The Outlander is so spacious, loved the extra room for legs, hands around the seats. Well, I’m only 173cm so perhaps that boosts the feeling of freedom. The central arm rest is massive and would be ideal for all my gadgets.

Driving - despite the size and serious weight, the Outlander is a very easy to drive car on the road. Very responsive steering wheel, smooth drive, would be fantastic if you’re doing a long trip.

Side door mirrors - triple the size of the Yaris - can’t beat that. Combined with the rear camera made the reverse parking soo easy. The reverse camera shows up on a full screen similar to the SV Leafs and is brilliant.

The Chademo charger tops up the battery to 80% within 20-25 minutes from nearly empty and then the charging cycle cuts off, making the FCP available to others (when you free up the space)

Parking Brake - there’s a parking button and proper hand brake. I certainly think the handbrake option is much better than Leaf’s legbrake

Cabin noise - You could find it slightly noisier if you are coming from a BEV, but it is certainly a pleasure to drive. You could barely notice a difference when the petrol engine kicks in.

You can select to drive only on EV until you have a battery or top up the battery and keep driving on EV only or get the IcE to move the car forward while you are charging the battery. Depending on the road and the driving style I had anything between 1.5 and 6.5l per 100km (my best and my worst)

Power - having in mind this is a heavy vehicle there’s plenty of poke and the car is quite nippy without being a race car.

Regen brake level - I enjoyed having the regen level controls behind either side of the steering wheel allowing you to select anything between 0 and 5 level of regen, 5 being the strongest. Very close to the iOniq.

Cons:
    Battery range - I would have appreciated the pure EV range more if I was coming from an ICE to a PHEV. Coming from 24 and then 30kwh Leaf it was a bit of a meh. I perfectly new that I should not expect more than 40km on EV only. I did realise though that 40km commute for me is really small and I’d be certainly be more happy to have at least double that before the engine kicks.

The position of the charge sockets - the back side is the worst place for them.
    Having driven already iOniq, Leaf, Zoe, VW Up!, i3 I am now convinced the best place for the sockets is at the front centre of the car

Multi-Function button position - it’s behind the right regen level stalk and it is awkward to reach. I guess Mitsubishi wanted to prevent you from using it often :).

Back seats - found them very uncomfortable. Hard and straight up like a wooden bench in the park. I guess it was not designed for a comfort

Being not so tall and having a massive bonnet did not help the visibility. Even at the highest seat setting I found it difficult to feel where the from end of the car is. I believe once you get used to, you would be fine, especially if you are coming from an SUV.

There could be other pros and cons but it’s 4.30 in the morning and my brain is fried.

Conclusions:

I love the car, but is not for me.
    Having been pampered by the 20+ kWh in our Leafs it is hard to go back.

The Outlander would make a cracking car for someone with a short regular comute and occasional long trips.

You can adjust the rear seats in the Outlander. They're perfectly comfortable, we have the Diesel version. I wanted herself to get the PHEV but she wanted the 7 seats for when we need to take the 2 boys and 4 adults, it can be done in the 7 seater version but the rear seats are for Children more than Adults space is very tight and we can''t put the boys in the rear yet with the car seats but it's something I might actually try next time I'm off.

I3 sounds like a much better alternative if the size of it suits, 33 Kwh and generator is perfect for all needs. But the Outlander PHEV is the only choice for someone looking to get away from Diesel and needs the space and needs to tow and as long as the battery can be kept topped up should see fuel bills reduced, though I'd imagine having to plug it in so much would be a pain. I would hope Mitsubishi come up with something a lot better soon.

Nice review peposhi, but I couldn't help notice this
    peposhi wrote: »
    SNIP

Side door mirrors - triple the size of the Yaris - can’t beat that. Combined with the rear camera made the reverse parking soo easy. The reverse camera shows up on a full screen similar to the SV Leafs and is brilliant.

SNIP

When I was looking at the Outlander, the GX4H has 360 degree reverse cameras (like the SVE Leaf). At least the UK version does.

iirc, the Irish model I think has the reverse camera only (like the SV Leaf).

See a pic from a UK listing below.

media?id=06a7927d2c2647b9b9e99e18d82bc79a&width=720&height=540&paddingColour=e8e8e3

Nice review peposhi, but I couldn't help notice this

When I was looking at the Outlander, the GX4H has 360 degree reverse cameras (like the SVE Leaf). At least the UK version does.

iirc, the Irish model I think has the reverse camera only (like the SV Leaf).

See a pic from a UK listing below.

media?id=06a7927d2c2647b9b9e99e18d82bc79a&width=720&height=540&paddingColour=e8e8e3

The one I drove had only rear camera

Thanks Peposhi,

A comprehensive review. I've currently a Citroen C-Crosser diesel(basically an Outlander shell)& that would be similar in size to the PHEV. The rear seats in that are a bit bench like as well but the kids don't complain.

I no longer need a diesel or a 7 seater & now doing only 5KM to work each morn & same home so the range on battery would suit me. I do need to tow occasionally so the 1500KG limit suits me. As Mad_Lad says "the Outlander PHEV is the only choice for someone looking to get away from Diesel and needs the space and needs to tow". I have outdoor socket at home so would be able to charge batteries at night.

Will have to look around in January & see what kind of a deal I can get. Budget should just about stretch to a 2014 GX4H once I can get some king of trade in value on the C-Crosser.

Thanks for the info,

T.

I was reading U.K forums and people can get really good fuel economy with the PHEV as long as they keep the battery topped up. Long trips of course will suffer a lot but if long trips are not frequent then it's not that relevant.

The diesel is actually quiet refined and powerful , the car in general is very refined and at 140 Km/h you would hardly think you're doing 100 ! Still if given the choice I'd have the PHEV over the Diesel. The Diesel is also not that economical. At best you might get 40 mpg but average around 34.

• Advertisement
Advertisement