Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VW T5 key replacement

Options
  • 20-12-2017 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭

I've a bit of battery drain with my T5 campervan, and I took the lazy route of figuring it out and have the battery disconnected when it's not in use (most of the year). Unfortunately this means that the central locking is out of action, and I like to access the rear of the van frequently as there are some cycling bits that we keep there instead of storing them in the house.

But, the key (and central locking remote in one) I got when I bought the thing only works in the driver's front door, and doesn't work in the locks on the passenger-side cab sliding door, nor the rear split doors (I presume these last two are the same key, but I'm not sure).

So, does anyone know if I would actually be able to get a spare for these rear doors, would I have to go to a VW dealer, or what's the deal? Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

MJohnston wrote: »
    I've a bit of battery drain with my T5 campervan, and I took the lazy route of figuring it out and have the battery disconnected when it's not in use (most of the year). Unfortunately this means that the central locking is out of action, and I like to access the rear of the van frequently as there are some cycling bits that we keep there instead of storing them in the house.

But, the key (and central locking remote in one) I got when I bought the thing only works in the driver's front door, and doesn't work in the locks on the passenger-side cab sliding door, nor the rear split doors (I presume these last two are the same key, but I'm not sure).

So, does anyone know if I would actually be able to get a spare for these rear doors, would I have to go to a VW dealer, or what's the deal? Cheers for any help!
    Lock smith can cut them from the code on the barrel or retumble them to match the ignition key. If you prefer the ghetto approach you may be able to remove the door barrel, insert the ignition key and file the tumblers flush thereby adapting the door barrel to the key.

Advertisement