Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantica by Carte D'Or ... new recipe, anyone tried it?

• 20-12-2017 12:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

This was always a Christmas staple in my house growing up but this year it's in a new box and it has a new brand and it looks frankly, dreadful. Why they didn't just restore it to it's former 1990s glory instead of changing it I'll never understand.

Has anyone tried the new recipe?
    It's also now over 8 euro with 2 euro off right now in Supervalu so I need to know if it's worth a try or do I need a new tradition?:/

This is the interloper : https://www.cartedor.co.uk/products/patisserie-romantica

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Agreed that it does look terrible but I can't think what they would do to make it taste worse. Maybe add even more sugar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dunnes have it for €4 at the moment I think - might be worth a try at the price. Back in the day (pre Ben & Jerry and Haagen Desz) it seemed fab, and was a fancy birthday treat in our house :o These days I think the rest of the market/quality has evolved dramatically and left it behind - as an aside I saw last week that they still sell viennettas - the memories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

That packaging is TERRIBLE!

Looks like some really cheap ass cake. I would not buy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I saw it in Dunnes the other day, and I wouldn't buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I bought a HB Romantica a few months ago, based on my memories of it being amazing (and too expensive to justify) as a kid.
    It had already been ruined, at least now it's clearly a different product (Cart'D'or), I was hoping that the change might have resulted in some improvement, but don't think I'll bother even checking, especially if it's €4-8 :o

I spend a lot of time ranting about how things have changed for the worse in terms of sweets, treats etc. Either reducing salt, size, or additives.

Top examples: Monster Munch, Loop the Loop, Club Orange, Lilt

Make a healthier version if you want, it doesn't mean you need to get rid of the version people actually already like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Dunnes have it for €4 at the moment I think - might be worth a try at the price. Back in the day (pre Ben & Jerry and Haagen Desz) it seemed fab, and was a fancy birthday treat in our house :o These days I think the rest of the market/quality has evolved dramatically and left it behind - as an aside I saw last week that they still sell viennettas - the memories!

As an aside, Lidl have knock-off viennettas - not only vanilla/chocolate ones, but ones with coffee ice-cream, which is very delicious and which I cannot buy very often because I will eat it all :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Well then that's my Christmas night plans scuppered. I think I'll give it a miss this year.

It was so great when I was a kid, when they made an effort. I can't find a proper picture but this is close, note the chocolate surrounding the base layer, the chocolate shavings on top...ah the glory days!

The ghost of Romantica past : http://cdn.marketkonekt.com/sites/balkanbaba/docs/al/image_1397814620_55.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

I can concur that it's awful. So overly sweet and fake-tasting :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I can concur that it's awful. So overly sweet and fake-tasting :(

But is it different to the old one?
    I always found that overly sweet and fake tasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

But is it different to the old one?
    I always found that overly sweet and fake tasting.

Tbh I don't think I tried a bit of Romantica until a pregnancy-hormone induced starvation a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mint & regular vienneta are 1.50 in tesco, romanitcas were on offer too, €5 allegedly reduced from €10...

They are not listed as romanticas on tesco, but the packing says it

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=295686341

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

My mam got one on Christmas eve for an early birthday cake. It tasted just like I remembered and my husband thought the same. My 5 and 6 year old were underwhelmed by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Do they still have that biscuit crumbly layer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

mojesius wrote: »
    Do they still have that biscuit crumbly layer?
    Yep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I've had the offending bastar*d. It bears no resemblance to Romantica of old. It should be called Shart D'or.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've had the offending bastar*d. It bears no resemblance to Romantica of old. It should be called Shart D'or.

I tried the new one. Not as nice as old but the old one appears to be returning to shelves here again. I regularly now see both side by side now whereas the old one had disappeared for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I can see several types. First is tescos one on offer, and I think it was what I saw in shops. I can see differences between all below.

Romantica.png
    AHI_434d50313737353533_3_LowRes_JPG.JPG

cdo_tortealbar_romantica-big-2017OKNEW93-1317408.png

carte-d-or-romantica-1l.jpg

81567tNj7nL._SX425_.jpg
    AHI_434d50313737353533_3_LowRes_JPG.JPG

romantica_Caramel.png

The most important bit with most of these ice cream cakes is leaving it to defrost a bit, ideally in the fridge so it is more uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I picked up some a few months ago that still in old packaging and wasn't impressed. I used to love it when I was younger and hadn't had it in years, was very disappointed.

It's very expensive for what it is also, the guts of a tenner for an ice cream cake!

Advertisement