Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Trainee April Intake 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Des1989

DuffsC wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hope ye are all well and good and hanging on.. Would i have a chance for the next intake, all stages complete and i rang just before the last intake(mid December) and was told my file is signed off but never got a call.. From Sept 2016 with a OOM in the 800's.

I hope so I'm in the same boat OOM early 900s

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭22832

diddlybo wrote: »
    Yeah mine is all finished as of a few weeks ago.

Do they let u know if vetting is done?? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭diddlybo

22832 wrote: »
    Do they let u know if vetting is done?? Thanks

They will tell you at which stage it is if you email H.R.M.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MrPaudieQ

How much notice do you get before starting so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭JKerova1

MrPaudieQ wrote: »
    How much notice do you get before starting so?

I've heard people saying four weeks but it seems to vary!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SinWin

DuffsC wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hope ye are all well and good and hanging on.. Would i have a chance for the next intake, all stages complete and i rang just before the last intake(mid December) and was told my file is signed off but never got a call.. From Sept 2016 with a OOM in the 800's.

I'd say you stand a good chance but there are 100s of people still from older campaigns also loads of people might defer because of possible last year in college....

It's really how lucky you are

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Shane3321

Has anyone the email for H.R.M to find out what stage the Vetting is at or even there number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Megzer1992

Shane3321 wrote: »
    Has anyone the email for H.R.M to find out what stage the Vetting is at or even there number

Number is *(01) 666 2571‬

• Registered Users Posts: 36 DublinGuy84

SinWin wrote: »
    it's Easter 1st and 2nd of April, doubt they will start college on 3rd

They may do. Induction week is only 4 days long.

They may do. Induction week is only 4 days long.

If it was starting the first week of April, would offers not be out soon?

• Advertisement

If it was starting the first week of April, would offers not be out soon?

In my experience guys you won't know until you've got one! And also don't expect them all out on the same day

In my experience guys you won't know until you've got one! And also don't expect them all out on the same day

last time they were out pretty much the same day (two days) ...

My point is that if you think they will be out the first week of April and they generally give you 4 weeks notice, then offers would be out the first week in march? Roughly

My point is that if you think they will be out the first week of April and they generally give you 4 weeks notice, then offers would be out the first week in march? Roughly

If so then offers should be out tomorrow, they usually give slightly more than 4 week notice...

I really think induction weeks will be end of April....

They were out over the week.
    I got one 4 days after the first offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

I received a call from the Sergeant and I am meeting her next week.

She said my vetting came back and two names showed up and she wanted to know what dealings I have with them. I'm thinking one has got to do with a cousin which I have nothing ever got to do with her and never had any dealings with her and I know she is not a savoury character.

I do not have any vetting issues myself just them two relatives but I don't know who the other person is.

How serious would your relatives interactions be with the Gardaí to receive a generally unsuitable letter? Is this normal have other applicants received calls like this?

Just a bit worried and have spent a lot of time and effort into the whole recruitment process.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

I received a call from the Sergeant and I am meeting her next week.

She said my vetting came back and two names showed up and she wanted to know what dealings I have with them. I'm thinking one has got to do with a cousin which I have nothing ever got to do with her and never had any dealings with her and I know she is not a savoury character.

I do not have any vetting issues myself just them two relatives but I don't know who the other person is.

How serious would your relatives interactions be with the Gardaí to receive a generally unsuitable letter? Is this normal have other applicants received calls like this?

Just a bit worried and have spent a lot of time and effort into the whole recruitment process.

Thank you.

See pm, up front and honest, you should be fine. Just be yourself and answer any questions to best of your ability with as much detail as you can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sjh191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Sjh191 wrote: »

So would that be when the induction week is starting or would that be the week before? Could be looking at offers going out in the next week or so?

mutter_man wrote: »
    See pm, up front and honest, you should be fine. Just be yourself and answer any questions to best of your ability with as much detail as you can provide.

Thank you very much, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Lads if you receive a pm message please don't quote it or the person. It was a pm for a reason.

Lads if you receive a pm message please don't quote it or the person. It was a pm for a reason.

I am simply thanking the user for the public post the user put up. I am not quoting or the poster is not quoting anything whatsoever in relation to the PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Leotard95

Hi..June 17 and phyiscal in March.. just wondering if let's say my OOM was 120 and someone from Sept 16 OOM was 780..would I get in before that person as I have lower OOM..also realistically what are chances for April?

Thanks

Leotard95 wrote: »
    Hi..June 17 and phyiscal in March.. just wondering if let's say my OOM was 120 and someone from Sept 16 OOM was 780..would I get in before that person as I have lower OOM..also realistically what are chances for April?

Thanks

No everyone left from the Sep 16 campaign would be given precedence ahead of you. Your chances of getting in in April are zero, you'd be more looking at possibly July. But more than likely September or January next year.

diddlybo wrote: »
    No everyone left from the Sep 16 campaign would be given precedence ahead of you. Your chances of getting in in April are zero, you'd be more looking at possibly July. But more than likely September or January next year.

I can understand September 16 getting precedence but that does not mean that all september 16 will be accepted in before june 17 campaign. People will still have outstanding vetting so you could find that some june campaign will get in before September 16 do.

However i do agree with you, if you have the physical in march it would be zero chance of April. Just for the simple fact that offers would more than likely be out in march giving you little time before vetting sign off. I would say hope for july but it could be later.

Regards

P

Its ok that was not the pm it was a public post. The pm was left private. Cheers anyhu though.

Mutter Nutter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shaunerz

Who made you the PM Police? *Pardon the pun*

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

JKerova1 wrote: »
    So would that be when the induction week is starting or would that be the week before? Could be looking at offers going out in the next week or so?

It’s normally about a month before hand, so it’d be the last week of March before there’s any hint of offers going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

I can understand September 16 getting precedence but that does not mean that all september 16 will be accepted in before june 17 campaign. People will still have outstanding vetting so you could find that some june campaign will get in before September 16 do.

However i do agree with you, if you have the physical in march it would be zero chance of April. Just for the simple fact that offers would more than likely be out in march giving you little time before vetting sign off. I would say hope for july but it could be later.

Regards

P

I’ve known of candidates who have done the PCT the same month as offers coming out and getting their place in the intake. So not unheard of. I’d be prepared to be called and prepared to wait at the same time (if that makes sense).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 redpuma

Has anyone got a PCT date from 2017 campaign? If so, what OOM region are you in? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

Well done! What happens those who fail repeat? No 3rd chance? Personally, I think PCT was super easy. I'm not super fit but wasn't hard at all. There was a girl who failed too but she had like 5 cigarettes before entering the beep test. Nerves? I don't know I don't have them I guess!

I loved the number on PCT about 25 people, we got to know each other. I was expecting much more people on that day there.

Also I know a guy who got Feb intake and he is telling me life in Templemore isn't easy - very strict!!! You aren't treated like a child nor like a student. Curfew after 12, no pictures, gone from social media, not to leave campus while in your uniform. Very army like!!!

PARKING - nightmare!

Those who have children can request for special leave (night for going home) but not guaranteed you will get it. College from 9-5 after 5pm there's nothing to do!

No not army like believe me haha ... try sitting in a hole you dug in the snow for 96 hours on the top of flag staff in kilworth. Then being told your prize is to work for €1.90 an hour doing duties. Believe me the army training is hell. We hadn’t even heating in our 8 man rooms during training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Leeroyjenkins

Hey guys anyone still waiting on their vetting to come back that's from the September 2016 campaign? I rang in January and was told its awaiting the final check and I rang today and was told there's still part of my vetting outstanding so I feel like I'm been giving the run around here.

Hey guys anyone still waiting on their vetting to come back that's from the September 2016 campaign? I rang in January and was told its awaiting the final check and I rang today and was told there's still part of my vetting outstanding so I feel like I'm been giving the run around here.

Your not alone, I am from January 2016 campaign.
    Rang 2 weeks ago and still not cleared...
    Feeling extremely helpless and frustrated at this stage.

Your not alone, I am from January 2016 campaign.
    Rang 2 weeks ago and still not cleared...
    Feeling extremely helpless and frustrated at this stage.

That's outrageous how come it's been so long? Did you defer any stage or anything? I lived in England for 6 years because I was in the British army so I'm assuming that's what is keeping me but I didn't think it'd take this long. Really starting to lose hope now. Been told different things when I ring up doesn't help either.

That's outrageous how come it's been so long? Did you defer any stage or anything? I lived in England for 6 years because I was in the British army so I'm assuming that's what is keeping me but I didn't think it'd take this long. Really starting to lose hope now. Been told different things when I ring up doesn't help either.

I know:( I only completed my pct in July 2017 so that’s why it’s been so long.
    Iv done everything I can in my control to try and figure out what the story is with my file but nobody can tell me anything.
    Had to re do half of the process after Xmas because the time lapsed.
    If I don’t get April I think i will have to draw a line under it and move on. I can’t continue to live in limbo anymore .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Iv done everything I can in my control to try and figure out what the story is with my file but nobody can tell me anything.
    If I don’t get April I think i will have to draw a line under it and move on. I can’t continue to live in limbo anymore .

Hopefully offers will be out soon anyway

What did you have to repeat? I'd no idea we'd have to repeat anything that's hardly fair considering we're the ones waiting to hear what's going on. I understand there's loads of people in the campaigns but I don't understand why people from later campaigns have gotten places when there is still people from 2016 waiting. Fair play to them all the same and good luck to them but it's a messed up process.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭wlynch1984

No not army like believe me haha ... try sitting in a hole you dug in the snow for 96 hours on the top of flag staff in kilworth. Then being told your prize is to work for €1.90 an hour doing duties. Believe me the army training is hell. We hadn’t even heating in our 8 man rooms during training.

Flagstaff mountain in kilworth in double time! All the memories are coming back ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Alberto17

Hi all, just wondering would it be unusual for your references to be contacted before meeting with Sergeant?

Mine have been contacted but haven’t received a call to go for a meeting…

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Deedee27

Got sent this message they don't know what to do with my certs any information most greatful

I am just writing in relation to your qualification documents which we received today. We are going to need more information regarding these documents. It is not clear how these qualifications prove your eligibility for the role of Garda Trainee.

• Advertisement

Deedee27 wrote: »
    Got sent this message they don't know what to do with my certs any information most greatful

I am just writing in relation to your qualification documents which we received today. We are going to need more information regarding these documents. It is not clear how these qualifications prove your eligibility for the role of Garda Trainee.

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think your G.C.S.E results will be enough to qualify for entry for the guards. It's worth ringing H.R.M for clarification though as they will be able to give you more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Deedee27

I know just the application form states either GCSE or gnvq there still looking into it for me so I'm only hoping

Deedee27 wrote: »
    I know just the application form states either GCSE or gnvq there still looking into it for me so I'm only hoping

Oh you might be alright so, it just may take a bit longer for your vetting to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Offalynice

From September 16 campaign and vetting is still outstanding. I lived abroad for 10 years, would this be the hold up ? Anyone else in the same boat or be in the know as to why it takes so long? Was hoping for April intake but looking unlikely now 😬

Offalynice wrote: »
    From September 16 campaign and vetting is still outstanding. I lived abroad for 10 years, would this be the hold up ? Anyone else in the same boat or be in the know as to why it takes so long? Was hoping for April intake but looking unlikely now 😬

Vetting timescales apart to be getting worse. I'm guessing it's because they have only so many people in crime and security and the heavy recruitment drive over last 2 years is finally starting to bite. Basically anything that adds complications or extra work make it take longer. Living abroad 10 years will of course add extra work but depending where it was that country could be very quick to reply and other avenues of vetting could be holding you up. Plenty from sept16 waiting the big V mate.

Does anyone know if we'd qualify for bike to work while in Templemore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stesshead

Hi All,

Hope you can all help us.

My partner wants to join the guards and heard there will be a recruitment drive in 2018 and to keep an eye out for it on publicjobs.ie

I have been reading your conversations and was wondering based on all of your experiences the following:

A) what are his chances of getting to even apply for the guards this year if they are calling people back as far as Sept 2016 & June 2017?

B) what is this OOM you all refer to?

C) how can he apply or is there anything he can do to be best prepared

Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shaunerz

Stesshead wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hope you can all help us.

My partner wants to join the guards and heard there will be a recruitment drive in 2018 and to keep an eye out for it on publicjobs.ie

I have been reading your conversations and was wondering based on all of your experiences the following:

A) what are his chances of getting to even apply for the guards this year if they are calling people back as far as Sept 2016 & June 2017?

B) what is this OOM you all refer to?

C) how can he apply or is there anything he can do to be best prepared

Thanks a million!

A) The chances are there will be another recruitment drive soon. It doesn't matter how many people are waiting from previous.

B) Order of merit. The number you have placed after each stage. You get a new number after every stage up until interview.

C) Apply through public jobs.ie. Community/ Voluntary work would be a massive advantage to be able to talk about it at interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Shane3321

Have everything passed emailed hrm about my Vetting. Got an email back saying it has been signed off by senior management I've am oom of mid 600 for sept 16 campaign what are my chances for April ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spara83

Shane3321 wrote: »
    Have everything passed emailed hrm about my Vetting. Got an email back saying it has been signed off by senior management I've am oom of mid 600 for sept 16 campaign what are my chances for April ?

strong chance you would imagine - best of luck pal

• Advertisement
Advertisement