Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gym in Waterford

Options
  • 20-12-2017 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi guy's I am sure plenty of folks here like going to various gym's around waterford what are our best gym's at the moment

Kingfisher for me sounds ok at the moment and with swimming sounds even better.

Crossfit times suit me but the price is a stumbling block right now.

Waterford warriors sounds great but have no idea on price.

Goldstone has some good reviews prices not too bad either

Can folks just five honest opinion so I can make a good choice for the New Year.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Kingfisher is a very good option in my opinion, tonnes of classes friendly staff and decent opening hours.

I wouldn't advise Crossfit, the guy who runs it has a massive ego and he forces you to be in videos and instagrams which he then posts up on his facebook page. I tried it for 3 months but he put me off so much I quit. I saw him one day trying to convince a woman who was quite overweight to pose for "before" pics and he wouldn't take no for an answer. Avoid.

I cant comment on the others sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

what are classed like I have done them before in another gym and got good results it was just the class times that didn't suit.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

no such thing as the best of anything in life, as its all subjective. id recommend trying as many gyms as you can, on a pay as you go option, if its available. kingfisher does it, amongst others. you ll soon figure out what gym best suits your needs. kingfisher runs many different classes including 'virtual' classes, this option might suit your time schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

What are your goals? Depending on what you want to do, different gyms would be better suited to you.

I personally dont like 90% of typical gym classes. So that would not be a selling point for me personally in what gym i would choose. But rather the equipment available and how well the gym is maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

just lose a bit of weight and tone a bit I would be happy with that.

• Advertisement

I would recommend primarily a good weights program supplemented with various forms of cardio. This can take many forms, rowing machine, running, cycling, kickboxing, gym classes etc. Doing all the classes in the world without a change in diet and decent weights base will result in little real change to your body.

If you are into classes, perhaps the Warriors group based training would suited to you.

For a good weights area I have heard good things about Goldstone.

If you have any interest in something different and fun like marital arts I can recommend a few places in Waterford also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Does WIT not have a gym and do you get a discount if you are a past student?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Does WIT not have a gym and do you get a discount if you are a past student?

does indeed, at the wit arena, suppose to be a very well kitted out one as well. no idea if past students get a discount but i suspect not

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Goldstone would be my choice, loads of equipment, space and classes included in the reasonable monthly payment, and you aren't tied into a contact. I travel a lot with work and try and join a local gym if I'm going to be more than a couple of weeks in one place so I have used a lot of gyms over the years. Goldstone is better than most I've tried

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Was a member in goldstone. Left and joined wit last year. In my opinion wit is much better. And much cleaner, goldstone was always a bit filthy.

More space and a good cafe in wit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭larchielads

Any prices for wit gym?

Any prices for wit gym?

http://witarena.ie/gym-membership

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭larchielads

Ha never occurred to Google the gym to see if they had a website ha ha, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

I would recommend primarily a good weights program supplemented with various forms of cardio. This can take many forms, rowing machine, running, cycling, kickboxing, gym classes etc. Doing all the classes in the world without a change in diet and decent weights base will result in little real change to your body.

If you are into classes, perhaps the Warriors group based training would suited to you.

For a good weights area I have heard good things about Goldstone.

If you have any interest in something different and fun like marital arts I can recommend a few places in Waterford also.

Where would you recommend for martial arts? I've been involved with a few of the clubs in the past but dropped out the last few years. Just wondering if theres any new clubs since my day. I'd be interested in boxing,kickboxing etc as opposed to BJJ, Judo etc.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Hello,
    I was just wondering about the same as the op.
    I was looking at joining the Ben Dunne gym, and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it before I join. I'm not really interested in the gym side of it, just the fitness classes. Any feedback would be appreciated.

jopax wrote: »
    Hello,
    I was just wondering about the same as the op.
    I was looking at joining the Ben Dunne gym, and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it before I join. I'm not really interested in the gym side of it, just the fitness classes. Any feedback would be appreciated.

no experience of ben dunne gyms, but the prices look good. with them being just opened, id say, not many would have much to say about it. id still give same advice as to op, try out as many gyms as you possible can before joining. some have pay as you go options, some might even give you a free trial. you ll soon find the gym that best suits your needs

Where would you recommend for martial arts? I've been involved with a few of the clubs in the past but dropped out the last few years. Just wondering if theres any new clubs since my day. I'd be interested in boxing,kickboxing etc as opposed to BJJ, Judo etc.
    Cheers.

Waterford Muay Thai have a good set up and coaches and are welcoming to newcomers. Some good fighters coming out of that gym also if you ever wanted to compete.

Team Ryano Waterford also offer striking classes and have a former high level kick boxer as one of their coaches Bobby Meade. They also offer MMA and various other classes if you are in anyway interested. Lovely lads down there and also very welcoming.

Advertisement