Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fit to work cert after providing a sick cert

Options
  • 20-12-2017 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi people,

I have been sick for 3 days and i did provide my sick cert to the employer. Now employer requests "Fit to work" cert.

My question is : does employer has a rights to request for "fit to work" cert ? In my sick cert the absence days are clearly specified and the reason of absence is not injury but just a chest infection. Additionally , my manager allowed me to work without "fit to work" cert for one day already.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

If you have a company doctor then they can request it. But if they expect you to pay for it yourself, just tell them you can’t afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

maer wrote: »
    Hi people,

I have been sick for 3 days and i did provide my sick cert to the employer. Now employer requests "Fit to work" cert.

My question is : does employer has a rights to request for "fit to work" cert ? In my sick cert the absence days are clearly specified and the reason of absence is not injury but just a chest infection. Additionally , my manager allowed me to work without "fit to work" cert for one day already.

Thank you!

Yes they can require a fitness to return to work cert, a sick cert just explains your absence, it doesn't excuse it. Some companies require a return cert for insurance/H&S purposes. If it's in your contract, then if they insist on it, you will have to supply one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

What is you sick record like generally?

If it is high, and the company feels like you are extracting the urine, they couild be doing it to discourage further short term absences .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They are within their rights to request it.

Advertisement