Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy new GPU now or wait?

Options
  • 20-12-2017 12:56pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I planned to buy a new 1070ti or 1080 early January but I'm wondering now if i should wait to see what Nvidia might come up with.
    Ideally i could do with a new GPU but the current generation of Nvidia cards are based on 18 month old tech i believe, am i wrong in being hesitant to pay a premium today?
    Any word on the next generation from Nvidia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Nothing to my knowledge in the pipeline that won't be an iteration of existing tech. At least that's my view on it. There won't be a significant bump in performance either compared to this gen. HBM is what Nvidia is chasing, but only the top end has been announced so far. An R&D chip with a 3k price tag. I wouldn't hold back if you are in need at the moment. The 1070ti is an excellent card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nvidia don't have anything to show because the competition isn't there; AMD really messed up with RX Vega.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Nvidia don't have anything to show because the competition isn't there; AMD really messed up with RX Vega.

I'm still getting a Vega even though it has it's flaws. My Fury X stood by me quite well and I feel I should get the Vega once it comes back into stock in the New Year.

Regarding getting a new Nvidia GPU I would still get one even at this late stage in it's cycle. They hold their value well so you can always sell it and buy the newest once they come available.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I held onto a 290X2 for way too long waiting on AMD to bring something out, got a 1080 instead. I am very happy with it.

Big fan of Install game, Graphics Options Ultra, Start new Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

Was running a laptop with 970m SLi setup and it was great. Just unpgraded to a 1070ti and i must say it smashes the other two to pieces. I know its desktop vs laptop. but i was gaming at 1080 on the laptop(970m's) and gaming at 4k with the 1070ti and it handles it. well worth the upgrade i feel but suppose depends what your running

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Two factors at play there - laptop GTX970 is only about as powerful as something like a GTX1050Ti, and then there's the fact that SLI is very patchy, sometimes is broken and even when it works, it rarely scales properly either.

On average a desktop GTX970 is still a lot better than GTX970M in SLI....though still a long way behind a 1070Ti :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

Two factors at play there - laptop GTX970 is only about as powerful as something like a GTX1050Ti, and then there's the fact that SLI is very patchy, sometimes is broken and even when it works, it rarely scales properly either.

On average a desktop GTX970 is still a lot better than GTX970M in SLI....though still a long way behind a 1070Ti :)
    oh big time especially when you OC a little been a long time since i was this impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm still getting a Vega even though it has it's flaws. My Fury X stood by me quite well and I feel I should get the Vega once it comes back into stock in the New Year.

Regarding getting a new Nvidia GPU I would still get one even at this late stage in it's cycle. They hold their value well so you can always sell it and buy the newest once they come available.

Why get a product that has flaws?
    I constantly switch between the green and red teams and I’ve no loyalty to either. Release a good product and I’ll buy it, release a piece of crap and i’ll switch to the other side if their offererings are better.

Blazer wrote: »
    Why get a product that has flaws?
    I constantly switch between the green and red teams and I’ve no loyalty to either. Release a good product and I’ll buy it, release a piece of crap and i’ll switch to the other side if their offererings are better.

Freesync. I have Freesync monitor and so will my next monitor which will most likely be Freesync 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I want to do a rebuild of my PC this year and currently have a 390 but want to get a faster AMD as I have a Freesync 1440p Ultrawide monitor but those prices are putting me off

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    I want to do a rebuild of my PC this year and currently have a 390 but want to get a faster AMD as I have a Freesync 1440p Ultrawide monitor but those prices are putting me off

My old card the Fury X ran games perfectly on my 1440p monitor. I'm sorry I sold it as I'm stuck now waiting for a reasonably priced Vega.

Advertisement