Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snoke in The Last Jedi (Has Spoilers)

• 20-12-2017 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

So over on the films board, there has been some posts around the idea that Snoke might not be dead.

What do you reckon?

My guess is it could be.. althought looking at his scenes a few times.. that DEAD FACE IN CAMERA bit.. has me doubtful he's still alive

but like.. I guess..
    - maybe he was force projecting himself like Luke
    - maybe it was all just a ruse to get Luke out of the picture
    - maybe there's a bigger baddie behind Snoke

After that, maybe he is dead. Maybe Kylo is gonna get more powerful to be a big baddie for the next film. I dunno though, Kylo just hasn't been shown as up to much in baddie terms so far. SHOOT SMASH SHOUT .. at equipment doesn't stand for much in baddie

Is Snoke Dead? 56 votes

Oh he Dead!
    0% 0 votes
    Nah, he ain't Dead.
    83% 47 votes
    Yub Nub
    16% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

This is far too spoilerish to be popping up on the main page for people who havent seen the movie. Change the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Slydice wrote: »
    So over on the films board, there has been some posts around the idea that Snoke might not be dead.

What do you reckon?

My guess is it could be.. althought looking at his scenes a few times.. that DEAD FACE IN CAMERA bit.. has me doubtful he's still alive

but like.. I guess..
    - maybe he was force projecting himself like Luke
    - maybe it was all just a ruse to get Luke out of the picture
    - maybe there's a bigger baddie behind Snoke

I doubt it, apart from your third possibility. Notice how Luke
    avoided Kylo's lightsabre by dodging like Naseem Hamed
    ? My guess is that he didn't want the lightsabre to go through him without causing harm, which would have given the game away.
    I'd say Snoke is brown bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

He HAS to be dead.

If he's not it's only to please fans.
    I don't think he's dead because this trilogy is more about Kylo than Snoke.

Or they could bring him back with spider legs like Darth Maul, I mean who knows with the direction this trilogy is taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This is far too spoilerish to be popping up on the main page for people who havent seen the movie. Change the title.

good point, done!:)

For those of us still waiting on the chance to see this and making an effort to stay free of spoilers, could you not have named the thread something else?

Edit: Nice change OP, honest mistake on your part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Force illusion calling it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

For those of us still waiting on the chance to see this and making an effort to stay free of spoilers, could you not have named the thread something else?

Edit: Nice change OP, honest mistake on your part.

You're a week in now in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Thanks for changing the title. Still think it needs a spoiler alert. eg:

Snoke in The Last Jedi: Warning, spoiler in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

boombang wrote:

boombang wrote:

A week after general release and the biggest film of the year, it's your own fault for not having seen it.

Sucks I know been there myself with force awakens yet can't expect whole Internet to wait for stragglers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

wasnt half snokes body lying on the floor in one scene?

• Advertisement

You're a week in now in fairness

LOL, a week, and barely.

I'm going tonight as it is the first available opportunity to me. I know plenty of people itching to see this who won't get the chance this side of Christmas Day.

A major spoiler for a blockbuster movie which has barely been out a week was trending on the mainpage. It's not like I was searching the Star Wars forum or the TLJ thread in the Films forum, in fairness.

Be grand, no one died.

Or did they??

boombang wrote: »

Done!

Now! Give in to the Dark Side and Vote! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I think physically dead, but no reason he can't force ghost it up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A bit of explaining as to who he was in relation to the whole story would have been nice, especially as they killed him off.
    Perhaps in the next movie that will be addressed. Maybe he was the guy in the shadows who turned Palpatine originally. Always a master and apprentice according to the lore.With all the other protagonists dead he saw Kylo as his new apprentice who was becoming fed up of being treated as a child and decided to take the mantle of supreme leader for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Hes dead Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah he's well dead tongue hanging out an all sure

Yeah go on, it was that zoomed in face that got me too. After some consideration I'm voting dead... for now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sin City wrote: »
    Hes dead Jim
    But not as we know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

A bit of explaining as to who he was in relation to the whole story would have been nice, especially as they killed him off.
    Perhaps in the next movie that will be addressed. Maybe he was the guy in the shadows who turned Palpatine originally. Always a master and apprentice according to the lore.With all the other protagonists dead he saw Kylo as his new apprentice who was becoming fed up of being treated as a child and decided to take the mantle of supreme leader for himself.

I doubt we will see any of that. The theme of the whole movie was basically, "drive on, ignore whats in your rear view mirror"

I suspect it's going to be left up to the comics and books to give the fans some closure on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I don't think Sith?bad guys can come back as force ghosts - otherwise Palpatine could come back - Dooku etc ..

edit - actually didn't Yoda visit Banes tomb in the clone wars and converse with him ?

Korriban ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I don't think Sith?bad guys can come back as force ghosts - otherwise Palpatine could come back - Dooku etc ..

edit - actually didn't Yoda visit Banes tomb in the clone wars and converse with him ?

Korriban ?

I don't know if that's actually a force ghost or more like a living memory (think along the Horcrux lines)- there's a quote from the Episode 3 novel; "Eternal life…"

"The ultimate goal of the Sith, yet they can never achieve it; it comes only through the release of self, not the exaltation of self. It comes through compassion, not greed. Love is the answer to the darkness."

That suggests that Sith can't (in so far as Disney canon goes anyway) but there's plenty of Legends/EU stuff to suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ibFoxer wrote: »
    I don't know if that's actually a force ghost or more like a living memory (think along the Horcrux lines)- there's a quote from the Episode 3 novel; "Eternal life…"

"The ultimate goal of the Sith, yet they can never achieve it; it comes only through the release of self, not the exaltation of self. It comes through compassion, not greed. Love is the answer to the darkness."

That suggests that Sith can't (in so far as Disney canon goes anyway) but there's plenty of Legends/EU stuff to suggest otherwise.

There is also the fact that a sith force ghost would be a force ghost due to their apprentice stabbing them in the back, so not much reason to show up and help the backstabber out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Venom wrote: »
    There is also the fact that a sith force ghost would be a force ghost due to their apprentice stabbing them in the back, so not much reason to show up and help the backstabber out!

But the Sith master accepts this, he knows that one day his apprentice will kill him - HAS to kill him to keep the rule of two respectable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

But the Sith master accepts this, he knows that one day his apprentice will kill him - HAS to kill him to keep the rule of two respectable.

Always thought that was the stupidest, most illogical rule. There can be thousands of Jedi....but only two Sith, one of whom must betray the other in a never ending cycle.

Doesn't bother me hugely, but it is a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Always thought that was the stupidest, most illogical rule. There can be thousands of Jedi....but only two Sith, one of whom must betray the other in a never ending cycle.

If memory serves, it’s because if there’s thousands they’ll do nothing but fight each other, which I imagine is even more counterproductive to furthering the cause.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

If you look close, when he gets chopped in half, his right arm from the elbow down is still sitting where it was on the arm rest after his torso slumps to the floor, so the compulsory ‘someone has to lose an arm quota’ was filled :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's a lot of things that are ridiculous in Star Wars.

That said, they tried to have a big load of Sith, at least in the previous canon, and we have no reason to doubt the general idea remains the same, but it led to constant civil war because the way of the Sith isn't cooperation but rather for the individual to seize as much power as possible.

It isn't an ideology that lends itself to large-scale cooperation.

The rule of 2 sets a clear system of succession where both parties know what the story is and have a decent mutual understanding of what they need from each other and for how long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

He HAS to be dead.

If he's not it's only to please fans.
    I don't think he's dead because this trilogy is more about Kylo than Snoke.

Or they could bring him back with spider legs like Darth Maul, I mean who knows with the direction this trilogy is taking.

Yeah, but who would bother to organise that? Kylo Ren is running the show now so he's not going to say "sure fix yer man up lads."

It's an interesting concept for Episode 9. Snoke is dead; Kylo Ren is Supreme Leader and is hell-bent on creating order and balance through the total destruction of both Sith and Jedi.

But, as these things go, surely another aspiring Sith will manifest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

D...e...d...Dead.

Seems more physical than Luke did; the upper body slides off and splats to ground, and it stays in place after the resolution of the fight.

Think his part is done and that was to show Kylo's ambition (and have the great line from Rey about how he won't kneel before Snoke).

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's an interesting concept for Episode 10. Snoke is dead; Kylo Ren is Supreme Leader and is hell-bent on creating order and balance through the total destruction of both Sith and Jedi.

But, as these things go, surely another aspiring Sith will manifest.

Am I missing something or is it just you who keeps saying episode 10?

It is episode 9, right?

Or do you mean the start of the next trilogy?

Sorry. I don't know why I keep doing that. That must leave some people scratching their heads as to what I'm raving about! I did, of course, actually mean Ep9....:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Definitely think he’s dead but maybe just an emissary for an even bigger evil that is to come? Snoke is said to have had several apprentices so maybe one comes back to challenge kylo to be supreme leader?

Advertisement