Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patching Lycra

Options
  • 20-12-2017 2:22pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here done it? Skidded in a skin suit and not a huge amount of damage done but enough to be noticeable and undoubtedly will get worse. It is a pricey bit of kit and in good nick other than the hole.

Looking online, people seem to recommend Gore Tex patches, but has anyone any experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Had a crash in Jan 2015 and ripped some bib tights but a friend got them sewn up for me, the lycra was pulled together and stiched and it's remained the same since and I use them twice a week from oct to march.
    If the rip is not too wide try to sew them.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

I think you need a new bike...

seriously tho' what mamas said works well once the rip isn't too big. Have the suit inside out, pull the fabric together and stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Google iron on fabric repair. Have used it semi-successfully in the past. It holds the threads in the fabric together. In my case it was only semi successful because the tear was right up against a zip and the fabric didn’t hold so well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I saw this stuff mentioned on another form before

https://www.amazon.co.uk/McNett-Ironmend-Neoprene-Repair-Patch/dp/B000GT471S

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I took the knee out of a pair of leg warmers on their first outing (black ice) a few years ago. I just sewed both sides together and they've been fine since. I just wear them the other way around so my botch job is sort of hidden behind my knee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

had a nasty crash in the kilmesan gp. bibs and jersey were in flitters after it. my mother is a dab hand at stitching things back to life and reconstructed the damaged parts by placing a piece of black material underneath and then sewing the damaged area onto it in the manner that it should look it originally. its not my best club kit anymore but I wear it training or for races with particularly ropey weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I had a hole in shorts from a crash fixed by Danny Geoghegan on Wicklow Street and would recommend them. Still wearing the shorts with no problems!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You could iron on some interfacing to strengthen the edges, then sew a patch in if the edges don't come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

anyone used super glue for tiny nicks? have a very small nick in some bib shorts, expensive ones, and am not a dab hand with the aul needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I got a hole in the knee of my best Castilli bib tights after only a few spins. I haven’t done anything to the hole and it hasn’t got any bigger in almost a year. I just put them on more carefully so as I don’t rip them. The material on the knees on mine is different to the rest of the tights, and has a red liner. Been wanting to get them repaired but not sure any repair would be as comfortable, or how successful it might be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

had a nasty crash in the kilmesan gp.

We all did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

jive wrote: »
    anyone used super glue for tiny nicks? have a very small nick in some bib shorts, expensive ones, and am not a dab hand with the aul needle.

I've used super glue on cycling overshoes, with mixed success. The glue is inclined to burn the material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Zipyard did some reconstructive work on shorts and a top for me. Sent me to penneys to buy some cheap lycra top in matching colour. they cut that up and stitched it together.

Makes for my CX kit now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

I did the same to a pair of Assos shorts, they took them back and sewed in a patch section and they as good as new again and didn't charge a cent

Advertisement