Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did the bubble start?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Yes every time they intervene they make it better for banks builders, estate agents, but for you and I not we f00ked

Even now there is a housing and homelessness crisis but they haven't started building or encouraged more building. Instead they have said we want more high rise so any builder who was about to start sees a new opportunity coming down the road and stops the build he as about to start because he may get 4 more floors. Last year it was going to be smaller sizes.

They want to be seen to do something. Housing wise we'd be better off with the wild wild west and true market forces than a government.

What if they lowered the vat rate on building materials for 3 years to 13% instead of 23%. Or said that in 3 years time new builds had to be bugger not smaller, there would be a rush to build now.

I would prefer if I could come to an agreement with a landlord to rent.
    eg I offer an amount I am happy with, he accepts it if he is happy with it, and to and fro and we are done.

The current situation is that I am prepared to pay x amount to a landlord, he would be happy with that, but he cant accept it, and then im in competition with everyone else.

The hoops you have to jump through to get the property you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

KellyXX wrote: »
    I would prefer if I could come to an agreement with a landlord to rent.
    eg I offer an amount I am happy with, he accepts it if he is happy with it, and to and fro and we are done.

The current situation is that I am prepared to pay x amount to a landlord, he would be happy with that, but he cant accept it, and then im in competition with everyone else.

The hoops you have to jump through to get the property you want.

Grand if you are young and single or have no kids but what happens to older renters? What if their LL sells or dies, what if they go into hospital for month.... you need to own your own home here. Sure the government want to move to a long term rental model but with their track record would you stake your future on it?

Grand if you are young and single or have no kids but what happens to older renters? What if their LL sells or dies, what if they go into hospital for month.... you need to own your own home here. Sure the government want to move to a long term rental model but with their track record would you stake your future on it?

Should a person not be free to go into a business relationship with another person?
    It's as simple as that.

Should a person not be free to go into a business relationship with another person?
    It's as simple as that.

Of course you can, but it you rent your whole life you leave your self at mercy of a government who can't get it right to date and a LL. What if you are 80 renting from a 90 year old LL who dies? What if you live in the City and rents become unaffordable and you have to move?

This country is rigged towards though shalt buy! That's the reality we all have to deal with.

Of course you can, but it you rent your whole life you leave your self at mercy of a government who can't get it right to date and a LL. What if you are 80 renting from a 90 year old LL who dies? What if you live in the City and rents become unaffordable and you have to move?

This country is rigged towards though shalt buy! That's the reality we all have to deal with.

In those circumstances is it up to the government or the private landlord to look after me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

It's as simple as that.

All businesses are regulated. The bigger the potential impact on a person's life of the contract's involved, the tighter the regulation.
    Freedom to enter business relationships is curtailed across all business sectors. It is entirely appropriate that the private rental sector is also regulated.

All businesses are regulated. The bigger the potential impact on a person's life of the contract's involved, the tighter the regulation.
    Freedom to enter business relationships is curtailed across all business sectors. It is entirely appropriate that the private rental sector is also regulated.

Over regulated you mean.

In those circumstances is it up to the government or the private landlord to look after me?

Nothing to do with the LL it's just business. Anyway as I said, he was 90 and died now his family want to get you out of your rent controlled flat and sell.

But they won't feel bad because the government should look after you. But we all know they won't. The best they will offer you is a place in a nursing home where you will share a room with 7 others who have lost their minds and control of their bladders and become agitated / aggressive. So you will have the same conversation every day and the stink of piss will be over powering.

Happy renting? Or start saving for a deposit? Is the system rigged? I think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Happy renting? Or start saving for a deposit? Is the system rigged? I think it is.

'Kicking away the ladder'!

Nothing to do with the LL it's just business. Anyway as I said, he was 90 and died now his family want to get you out of your rent controlled flat and sell.

But they won't feel bad because the government should look after you. But we all know they won't. The best they will offer you is a place in a nursing home where you will share a room with 7 others who have lost their minds and control of their bladders and become agitated / aggressive. So you will have the same conversation every day and the stink of piss will be over powering.

Well you certainly seem to have a handle on things :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i'ld blame Christy Browne and that Michael Flatulence fella.
    Jasus we were immortal back then ......

When it became a normal scenario to have both parts of a couple in work.
    This lead to a viscious circle.
    Two salaryies out is one salary.
    Prices increase.
    The one salary couple have to become a two salary couple to compete and then bid up again.
    Prices increase.
    More couples become two salaried couples to compete.
    Prices increase.
    Now if you don't earn two salries it's pretty certain you aren't buying a house.
    Soon it will be both parents plus kids needing to pay the mortgage to get one.

How do you solve it?
    A policy of one job per couple should do it.
    I volunteer to give up my job and have a break :)

Otherwise just depend on economic crashes to reduce prices because nothing else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

KellyXX wrote:
    How do you solve it? A policy of one job per couple should do it. I volunteer to give up my job and have a break

No clear solutions unfortunately, it's disturbing to see how badly our market is

Advertisement