Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch wiring

Options
  • 20-12-2017 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I’m installing light in attic. All wired up except for switch. I have a Gewiss waterproof switch which has numbers 1 2 & 3. I’m have brown-L blue- N & green-E. Which wire goes where?? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well it depends what your cable with brown, blue and earth is connected to.

What exactly did you do. You say it is all wired up except for switch, so explain exactly what you have done so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

No offence, but if you need to ask that question here, you need to get a competent electrician involved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Brian1975

Bruthal wrote: »
    Well it depends what your cable with brown, blue and earth is connected to.

What exactly did you do. You say it is all wired up except for switch, so explain exactly what you have done so far.

Thanks for reply. I’ve flouescant wired. Cable running back to existing light bulb, just to connect in. & cable running to new trap door where i have to install a new switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Brian1975 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. I’ve flouescant wired. Cable running back to existing light bulb, just to connect in. & cable running to new trap door where i have to install a new switch.

That doesn't really help. You have run the wrong type of cable to the switch for a start. You haven't said what the brown and blue are connected to at the light. If you have connected them to the light using blue as neutral and brown as the live then it is not possible for the light switch to switch the light on and off no matter how you wire it. Might be time to get someone who knows what they are doing to have a look at it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi OP, I agree with the above. Electrically speaking wiring one light to one switch is as easy as it gets. For your own safety please consider that you are dealing with a potentially lethal voltage.

My suggestion is that you simply use an LED version of the plug in work light shown below.

qlp-portable-ip23-halogen-work-light-with-flex-plug.jpg

If this doesn't suit your needs it would be best to employ the services of a qualified electrician.

• Advertisement
Advertisement