If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amp and speakers for echo dot

Options
  • 20-12-2017 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi. I'm looking for an amp and speaker recommendation. It will be connected to an echo dot. The amp doesn't need to look good or even have a remote as it will not be visible once installed, it can even be open box and dented 😀. I intend powering down the amp at the power socket when not in use so it will need to start up and be ready to go without having to touch it. The room is 4mx5m. Doesn't need to be loud and brand is irrelevant to me as I know nothing about speakers just want better quality than my existing bluetooth bose portable thing that I have to keep charging. Will be January before I order too.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Vidcon wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking for an amp and speaker recommendation. It will be connected to an echo dot. The amp doesn't need to look good or even have a remote as it will not be visible once installed, it can even be open box and dented 😀. I intend powering down the amp at the power socket when not in use so it will need to start up and be ready to go without having to touch it. The room is 4mx5m. Doesn't need to be loud and brand is irrelevant to me as I know nothing about speakers just want better quality than my existing bluetooth bose portable thing that I have to keep charging. Will be January before I order too.
    Thanks.
    Vidcon,

are you looking for Bookshelf speakers or in-ceiling?

On the Amp front I'd have a look at the Tangent Ampster which is really compact and does come including remote:
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202449-ampster-bt.aspx

..I'm not sure where you are based but if you do already have the Echo dot working ( I use one myself connected to a Denon HEOS amp..) in your home then you could also consider the new Sonos One which is a single speaker and has Alexa built in already?

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202943-black-400087.aspx

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Vidcon

Thanks.
    Vidcon,

On the Amp front I'd have a look at the Tangent Ampster which is really compact and does come including remote:

..I'm not sure where you are based but if you do already have the Echo dot working ( I use one myself connected to a Denon HEOS amp..) in your home then you could also consider the new Sonos One which is a single speaker and has Alexa built in already?

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi
    Thanks for the advice. Sorry I should have said I'm in southern Ireland. 
    I was thinking of bookshelf speakers but if the below is possible then ceiling speakers would be preferred. If you could make a suggestion for both that would be great.

Could I put ceiling speakers into a top face board of a floor to ceiling bookcase? or are they best pointing downwards? There is a 6 inch tall void at the top of the bookcase that I could fit them into. Thats actually where I'm planning on hiding the amp.

Yes I have a dot already but a second one built into a sonos is very tempting.
    I'll have a look at those over christmas.  

Dave

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks.
    Vidcon,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi
    Thanks for the advice. Sorry I should have said I'm in southern Ireland. 
    I was thinking of bookshelf speakers but if the below is possible then ceiling speakers would be preferred. If you could make a suggestion for both that would be great.

Could I put ceiling speakers into a top face board of a floor to ceiling bookcase? or are they best pointing downwards? There is a 6 inch tall void at the top of the bookcase that I could fit them into. Thats actually where I'm planning on hiding the amp.

Yes I have a dot already but a second one built into a sonos is very tempting.
    I'll have a look at those over christmas.  

Dave
    Hi Dave,

your ceiling speakers would sound pretty awful pointing at the ceiling and TBH I really would not recommend that at all - you would be far better off with a compact pair of Bookshelf speakers..

The Sonos One option is probably the way forward - as long as you recognise that ( just Like the Dot / Alexa) they are not certified for use in the ROI as Alexa has not officially been released for the ROI yet...

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.