Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daliah tubers

Options
  • 20-12-2017 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I planted a couple of small tubers this spring. The daliahs came up lovely. I've just dug them up and they are monster sized. I'm planning on storing them in the shed in cloth sacks. Any storage tips on offer?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi
    I planted a couple of small tubers this spring. The daliahs came up lovely. I've just dug them up and they are monster sized. I'm planning on storing them in the shed in cloth sacks. Any storage tips on offer?

Thanks in advance.

Looks like it's a bit late for this but the nearest gardener to me has a great display of dahlias each summer and just covers them in the ground with a good lair of old horse bedding(straw and horse manure) in the autumn and they survive fine in the ground. He has done this for decades and they grow back up again in spring fine even when there has been a cold winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

macraignil wrote: »
    Looks like it's a bit late for this but the nearest gardener to me has a great display of dahlias each summer and just covers them in the ground with a good lair of old horse bedding(straw and horse manure) in the autumn and they survive fine in the ground. He has done this for decades and they grow back up again in spring fine even when there has been a cold winter.

I left some in the ground last year and they rot but then again I didn't cover them. Good tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I left some in the ground last year and they rot but then again I didn't cover them. Good tip.
    That might be your soil, is it heavy/ slow draining?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Lumen wrote: »
    That might be your soil, is it heavy/ slow draining?

Correct. It's quite heavy. I'm at the end of a block of houses and I've found a few blocks and other builder rubbish when digging too so that probably didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Correct. It's quite heavy. I'm at the end of a block of houses and I've found a few blocks and other builder rubbish when digging too so that probably didn't help.
    Ah yeah. In my last house I used to fill a bucket with rubble from every bucket-sized hole I dug. Builders have somehow broken geometry, it's amazing.

Being a lazy git I'd tend towards improving the soil texture (with well rotted organic matter) immediately around the bulb, rather than digging them up every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Make sure they are dry.
    Store in paper bags in the cool of a garden shed.
    Scrub off any excess soil.

Advertisement