Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering relative

Options
  • 20-12-2017 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Hi we are potentially fostering a relative who Is now with grandparents. At moment bio Mum has a lot of control and phones every morning and night and has two visits a week, we feel this untenable with our own family and would be too much of an impact. Could you let me know how often would be ‘normal’ contact? We r thinking once weekly and phone call every evening? Last thing we want is to restrict contact but we have a big family of our own and both work so practically it’s gonna be hard, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Once a week is the standard in foster caring but It might be different with relative fostering.

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

You'll have to speak to Tusla. Fostering any child comes with its own set of challenges. Fostering a relative is even more complicated. I know of children in foster care and the parents are not allowed to know the address of the child under any circumstances. If this was a case like that then the child would not be placed with you. If the child is ok to be placed with family, I think it would be expected/accepted that access would more than likely be more relaxed and less structured.

You need to ask the questions to the people making the decisions. And then you have to decide if you are in a position to take on the child if arrangements are going to be more informal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Twice a week seems to be normal, if that's what the parent wants. If you are both working I don't see how you can foster, I thought at least one person needed to be home with the child. What would childcare arrangements be?

Advertisement