Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I stop certain sites appearing when I use search?

Options
  • 20-12-2017 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    just now I typed in search parameters and 7 of the 9 sites that appeared on the first page were all Pinterest.
    I Don't have an account and I don't want one, so I don't want to see it appearing.
    is there somewhere on my browser, Safari, where I can tell it not to show me Pinterest when I search?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You can exclude any term from a web search by using the minus sign before the word, for example compare: cool wool patterns to cool wool patterns -pinterest

It might be a bit tedious to do that for every search, so check out Safari extensions to see if there's one that'd do it automatically for you. There's a few Chrome extensions that do that, but I'm not sure what's available on Safari.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Brilliant, thank you.
    it works with no space between the hyphen and Pinterest.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Quoting from Google:
    1. To exclude sites from your search engine
    2. On the Custom Search home page, click the search engine you want.
    3. Click Setup, and then click the Basics tab.
    4. In the Sites to search section, click Advanced.
    5. In the Sites to exclude section, click Add, and then do one of the following: ...
      1. To exclude a single URL, type the URL and specify the options you want.
      2. To exclude multiple URLs, click Exclude sites in bulk and then type or paste the URLs you want to exclude.
    6. Click Save.

Link: https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/2631038?hl=en

Advertisement