Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to break the lock on my bike without looking like a theif?

Options
  • 20-12-2017 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

My bike lock was tampered with and I can't get the key into it. It's locked up on a very busy street.

Any advice? I don't have any tools that can cut through it. The barrel seems damaged so I don't think a lock smith will get in there either.

It's a cable/wire sort of lock, not too robust. I'd say a good solid fence cutter would get through it.

I'm in Cork city it that matters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

I can't imagine that posting anything here on how to break a bicycle lock would be a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

So do I just leave my bike there forever? Do locksmiths have fence cutters? Can the guards do it for me? I'm looking for advice here. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to give advice in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Why does it matter if you look like a thief? Its not as if the owner is going to chase you...

Just get some wire cutters and cut the thing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

You will need to borrow a very large set of snips/bolt cutter off someone.
    > 30"
    Inform the local cop shop just before you go to do it. So that nobody
    misconstrues the situation. If you have something to prove ownership then
    have that with you when you cut the lock

• Registered Users Posts: 30,499 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just throwing some ideas out...
    Daylight.
    You and a mate.
    Hi-vis vests, no hoodies up.
    Bring identification in the unlikely event a Garda happens to be passing by.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Hire a cordless angle grinder from a local hire shop.

I bought it from Adverts. Just checked the ad and the seller has removed the photo for some reason.

https://www.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/hybrid-bike-bargain/12422263

The advert is still there but it's useless without a pic.

I've no other proof of ownership. I thought I had a photo of it.

I'll probably ask a garda to stand next to me whenever I find a set of bolt cutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

My bike lock was tampered with and I can't get the key into it. It's locked up on a very busy street.

Any advice? I don't have any tools that can cut through it. The barrel seems damaged so I don't think a lock smith will get in there either.

It's a cable/wire sort of lock, not too robust. I'd say a good solid fence cutter would get through it.

I'm in Cork city it that matters.

Drop into the local Garda station and advise them of the situation and tell them your going to cut the lock. Ask for a Garda to be present as you cut the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Where did you buy the lock?
    What make is it?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Where did you buy the lock?
    What make is it?

Would you believe it, I got it from the €2 shop and it withstood a picking attempt. The whole thing is fecked now but I'm impressed. Oh, they robbed my rear light too. I don't even know why they wanted to pick it, the bike is a real piece of crap.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling that you'd cut the lock with brake cable cutters.
    You might even get away with a big Vise Grip
    I think Angle grinder or 30" bolt cutters would be like taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut.

Have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVCqGMIz_iU

From experience not everything works out as easy as a youtube video
    always in real life. Now a small little cutter like that might work. But it
    might not. Why take a chance.

I just think you want to come along and snip it quickly and be about
    your business. The last thing you want is to be sweating and hacking
    away at it with people gathering watching you.

The Law of the Lever or don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

I don't think a €2 lock qualifies as a gun fight.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I don't think a €2 lock qualifies as a gun fight.

If you cut cut the lock with a little weed pruner then you'd open it
    with a bar and brute force. Which begs the question why did the lock
    survive a theft attempt. Why fcuk around trying to pick the lock when
    if it's so weak and could be cut so easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Easy. Get a group of 4 or 5 lads to stand around and make fun of you. No one is going to think you're a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Yp6xXp7Po

If the lock is a €2 job then 2 spanners and hey presto. Ive done this myself with an old shed lock. You could ring the local Garda station to cover yourself but I doubt they'll care being honest. I rang them when 2 teenagers were skulking around the side of my house and they ended up being snappy at me for ringing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If it' a cheap lock as you say this will go straight through it. You'll pick one up in a tool shop over here either.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/forge-steel-cable-cutter-8-210mm.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAsejRBRB3EiwAZft7sOykVGLLuUaF8iWhynMKsqwisbXjA_5kj3yhhv7O1xYIwVGNZ0bPvRoCSVsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2916C_A1

No need for crowds notification etc you'll be gone in 2 mins. Buy yourself a decent lock if you plan on keeping your bike. Those cable locks are for coffee stops and a quick trip to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If it's a 2 euro lock I could pull the bike in about three attempts and walk off with it. No tools or anything.

Try even flipping it a few times to snap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

If you want to avoid buying a wire cutters you can borrow mine. I can meet you in city centre some lunchtime. PM me if necessary. (Wouldn't a karate chop do it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Wear a suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I had to cut a lock off my bike in Dublin city centre; Saturday afternoon on a busy street,
    took about 30 mins to cut it open and not one passer by questioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Just don't say, all right bud,it's cool and have a johnny blue hanging out of your mouth when doing it. And maybe don't wear a baseball hat as well

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just pull the bike, those two Euro locks are very poor quality. The lock should break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

ted1 wrote:
    Just pull the bike, those two Euro locks are very poor quality. The lock should break.

Or stick a bar through the loop and twist for tension. Should pop the lock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to echo what the others were saying - i know a chap who "broke into" a house via the front door near landsdowne road, on match day, in full sight of uniformed gardai. he was wearing a hi-vis jacket. he drilled out the lock.

to echo what the others were saying - i know a chap who "broke into" a house via the front door near landsdowne road, on match day, in full sight of uniformed gardai. he was wearing a hi-vis jacket. he drilled out the lock.

High vis does make you magically invisible though

https://www.vice.com/en_nz/article/mgv4gn/chalecos-reflectantes-entrar-gratis

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

I must admit to being a bit perplexed by the responses on this thread and even more perplexed that the mods consider it a reasonable subject to discuss. You can't give medical advice but you can give advice on how to steal a bike?

:confused::confused::confused:

Having a look at the guidelines link in the charter I see the following listed as FORBIDDEN -

"How to do illegal things (this ranges from software piracy, to swindling the Revenue Commissioners)"

On that basis surely this thread is completely out of order? Could I start a thread titled "How to steal a bike" ?

The OP is asking for advice on how to get his bike unlocked.

I'd imagine anyone that steals bikes is probably already clued in enough that they won't be surfing Boards in the middle of the night looking for clues.

Is breaking the lock on a bike you own illegal now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

I bought it from Adverts. Just checked the ad and the seller has removed the photo for some reason.

https://www.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/hybrid-bike-bargain/12422263

The advert is still there but it's useless without a pic.

I've no other proof of ownership. I thought I had a photo of it.

I'll probably ask a garda to stand next to me whenever I find a set of bolt cutters.

So it’s a stolen bike lock...

Advertisement