Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on how to steal my own bike which is locked up outside the GPO.

Options
  • 20-12-2017 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

So somebody tried to pick my bicycle lock and my key doesn't work in it anymore, doesn't even fit inside the barrel. It's locked up across from Counihans / GPO.

They also stole my rear light.

Anyway, has this happened to anybody before?

It looks like I need a good set of bolt cutters. Would the guards do it for free? Or would anybody have any ideas on how to break the lock. A locksmith won't be able to pick it as the mechanism is shagged.

It's a cable sort of lock, so probably easy to snip. Also it's a banger of a bike so I'd prefer the cheapest option possible or free.

Any ideas? Does anybody live on Oliver Plunkett street and happen to own some bolt cutters or an angle grinder?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Best thread title ever. I had so many questions.
    I hope you get sorted. City Council might have something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

No, my rear light was never stolen.

Best thread ever. Hope you get your bike back!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

No, my rear light was never stolen.

Best thread ever. Hope you get your bike back!

the best thread ever goes to this one I think

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91807902

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Try and pick the lock yourself? What kind of lock is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I think he doesnt want to be seen picking a lock or using a wire cutter for fear of being arrested. "But its my bike" is probably the worst excuse in the world.

It could be a job for these guys though

The-Young-Offenders-280x150.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

I had my bike stolen, was bereft. Notified the local Gardaí of theft.

3 weeks later whilst driving through my town I spotted the bike padlocked in a bicycle stand. I rang my landlord and he was delighted to come to my rescue with an industrial sized bolt cutter. I rang the Gardaí, informed them of the situation. "You can't break the lock" "Yes I can I have a bolt cutters and it's my bike" "Ok but whoever has the bike will return and claim theft" "Well I am going to write a note "if you have any queries regarding the whereabouts of this bike ring the Gardaí Tel:_____)" and I will attach this to the broken padlock, that's okay isn't it" "Go ahead then".

Result: reclaimed my bike

**Note: Gardaí will not do this job for you***any construction site close by may have one and assist you***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

bot43 wrote: »
    the best thread ever goes to this one I think

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91807902

Haha! That was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Cuneens locksmith are 50m away from your bike...give 'em a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

nlrkjos wrote: »

That's the thing, how do they know I'm the owner? I have no proof of anything. It's a second hand banger from adverts. I'll give em a go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

nlrkjos wrote: »

That's the thing, how do they know I'm the owner? I have no proof of anything. It's a second hand banger from adverts. I'll give em a go though.

Show you have the key for the lock but it's obviously broken so won't work. Might not work but if you seem honest and open about it you never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Any chance you could grab a Garda nearby and ask them to act as a witness? Give your name and details (you'd have to show actual ID, obviously), if possible leave a note to explain the situation to whoever had the bike - the person who's using it now is unlikely to be the original thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bobmar

Yes a bolt cutters or grinder ?
    Have both if needed

Advertisement