Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought second-hand home - a few questions

Options
  • 20-12-2017 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi all

We just closed on our first home this evening.
    We will pick up the keys in the morning.
    It's a second-hand house which was occupied right up to the sale.

Home has electricity and working alarm.

When we get the keys in the morning, what will be the situation with electricity? Will it have been switched off or will it still be there? I presume it will still be connected to ESB as there is still an alarm on, but I don't know.

We can take a meter reading once we arrive of course, but do ESB just take our word that the reading is correct? Should we check with the EA or with ESB that the previous owner submitted a reading?

Also, same question for gas - do we have to contact anyone about this?

I might post other questions as I think of them, if that's ok

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Ideally when the last people moved out, they would have phoned in a reading.
    When you arrive in the house there may be a new customer letter waiting for you.
    Take meter readings, phone esb/bord gais, and they'll take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Tenigate wrote: »
    Ideally when the last people moved out, they would have phoned in a reading.
    When you arrive in the house there may be a new customer letter waiting for you.
    Take meter readings, phone esb/bord gais, and they'll take it from there.

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Congratulations!!!!!
    Nice timing for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Take photo of meter and contact ESB/Gas.

Change locks and contact insurance asap.

Congrats & Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Get alarm code. Change it.

Thanks all

Locksmith, gas boiler service, chimney sweep will all be booked tomorrow for as soon as they can arrive.

Insurance had to be in place for drawdown so that's already done.

Will change alarm code immediately. We don't want to continue with the monitored alarm system, but we are hoping to keep it in place for a month until we have time to get our replacement system fitted.

Photos of the meter is a great idea, thank you.

Any other tips?

Thanks for the congratulations all!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Ensure it's got working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
    Check that the light fittings are working in every room.
    Do a quick list of essential, non food items like bulbs, whatever...that you need to buy tomorrow.

Congratulations and may you have many happy years living there.

Ensure it's got working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
    Check that the light fittings are working in every room.
    Do a quick list of essential, non food items like bulbs, whatever...that you need to buy tomorrow.

Congratulations and may you have many happy years living there.

Oh yes, carbon monoxide alarm is essential, as boiler indoors. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Make sure that toilet paper is on that list!

Introduce yourself to the neighbours. Give them your phone number so they can contact you if they notice any problems over the next few days before you've fully moved in.

Figure out where to keep a spare key, and do it after the locks are changed. (I like outside a friend's house a few blocks away, not outside my own house.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Make sure that toilet paper is on that list!

Introduce yourself to the neighbours. Give them your phone number so they can contact you if they notice any problems over the next few days before you've fully moved in.

Figure out where to keep a spare key, and do it after the locks are changed. (I like outside a friend's house a few blocks away, not outside my own house.)

Yeah, because you definitely don't want to be using second-hand toilet paper! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Also bring a basic of cleaning products over asap. Even if the house was occupied, you'll find yourself cleaning a good bit.
    You can get that stuff in Dealz for very cheap.

Same goes for toolbox, you'd like to have the basic tools around straight away because there are usually a few bits and bobs that you want to do before you move in.

Advertisement