Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged incorrect amount

Options
  • 20-12-2017 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

I purchased a pair of boots on Saturday for €100, paid with debit card and took no notice of the receipt so of course shoved it into my purse. I checked my bank account and noticed €60 transaction from this shop so went back and checked the receipt. The till receipt was for the correct price but the card machine had the incorrect price. On Monday the shop debited the remaining €40 in a separate transaction.

I'm not disputing the shop getting paid. What I'm interested in is how they authorised a second transaction without neither them nor my bank contacting me? Surely they need my pin code/signature or the bank needs to contact me first?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You had already given them approval for €100. They didn't need to contact you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The store copy of your card receipt has your name, card number and expiry date.

They probably put it in as a "cardholder not present" transaction.

You could technically contest it, but they'll have the till receipt and the incorrect payment and would probably win the dispute and depending on your card you may end up with an incorrect contest fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

How can they have your card number? do they actually see all the numbers??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Kewreeuss wrote: »

This comes up all the time.

The receipt the shop retains has the card number and expiry date on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Kewreeuss wrote: »

Depends on their system. But generally yes and there are strict rules regarding storing them.

A retailer must hold copies for 6 months. On non pin transactions, the onus is on the retailer to prove it was a valid transaction.

Remember the old days - a carbon copy of your card was taken. It really hasn't changed much and nothing to be concerned about due to the fact that unless the pin is used, you have the backup security of the retailer having to have some form of proof the transaction was correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

The till probably showed short and they went through the transactions and seen that your bill was 100 but you only paid 60 and deducted the balance.

Advertisement