Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large weighing scales

• 20-12-2017 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Bit of a random one.

I have two large weighing scales and I am.wondering what to do with them. They were used in the factory I work in, but became obsolete once digital scales came common. They are working perfectly and weigh up to 10kg.

The factory wants to move them as they are taking up space and I now have them :) but the reality is if I keep them.they will have to stay in the shed and I would worry they will get damp and rust.

I tried selling them on adverts but had no luck. I would like to sell them to someone who would look after them, perfect scenario would be for a coffeeshop or vintage shop a a show piece behind the counter.

So my question is, apart from adverts/done deal are there any other sites or routes a person
    Can take when trying to sell on items such as these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Your local auction saleroom but after their commission it may not be worth your while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

JJayoo wrote: »
    .... perfect scenario would be for a coffeeshop or vintage shop a a show piece behind the counter.

That could apply in the case of a retail machine where it could be a conversation piece in a vintage shop but your machines have no such value because they are clearly for industrial use. And they'll just take up too much space. Sorry but I can't see anyone wanting them.

Even the small Avery retail machines with the triangular display end up on the top shelves of 'olde worlde' pubs along with Singer sewing machines and Remington typewriters - none of those old machines have any value these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Juat a follow up

Found the original booklet and contract for both scales

1000 pounds each in 1981 and 350 pounds per year for maintenace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Too new to be antiques, maybe if some small start up company or market gardener wanted a cheap weighing scales, that is if they still weigh things correctly and they weigh in metric, doubt anyone would want Imperial only these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

JJayoo wrote: »
    Juat a follow up

Found the original booklet and contract for both scales

1000 pounds each in 1981 and 350 pounds per year for maintenace.

This is brilliant. I work for one of the oldest family businesses in Ireland going since 1780, we are currently based in the old synagogue on the SCR and we sell scientific equipment accross every part of Ireland. My service manager retired last year and used to service Berkel scales in NI and border counties so he will get a kick out of seeing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

This is brilliant. I work for one of the oldest family businesses in Ireland going since 1780, we are currently based in the old synagogue on the SCR and we sell scientific equipment accross every part of Ireland. My service manager retired last year and used to service Berkel scales in NI and border counties so he will get a kick out of seeing this.

These scales were in a factory in Roscommon so maybe he even serviced them.

Thankfully I found a home for them :)

Advertisement