Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van hire for moving from the UK

Options
  • 21-12-2017 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I'm moving back to Ireland from the Cambridge, UK:)
    Can anyone recommend a company I can rent a van from for a few days to move the furniture?  (I will take the ferry from Holyhead)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

mcsean2163 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a company I can rent a van from for a few days to move the furniture?  (I will take the ferry from Holyhead)

Not sure an Irish forum is the best place to ask this one. Are you looking to make a one way trip and leave the van in Ireland?

If so, I thnk your choices will be limited. I know Europcar allow cross border rentals FROM Ireland but I dont know if they allow one way rentals to another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mcsean2163 wrote: »

I did this just under 2 years ago to move valuable stuff (not entrusted to removal men) from London to Dublin. I found, at the time, that Enterprise were the only ones who would allow me to both take it out of the U.K. but also to return it on the island of Ireland (Belfast) rather than having to take the ferry three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Marcusm wrote: »
    I found, at the time, that Enterprise were the only ones who would allow me to both take it out of the U.K. but also to return it on the island of Ireland (Belfast) rather than having to take the ferry three times.
    I guess it depends whether you intend to rent a car in the UK again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I looked into this about 5 years ago, but it was nigh on impossible.

In the end, I loaded up my own car as best I could, and sent the rest via courier in big suitcases. I think it was sendmybag.com, as they had the best rates at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I looked into this about 5 years ago, but it was nigh on impossible.

In the end, I loaded up my own car as best I could, and sent the rest via courier in big suitcases. I think it was sendmybag.com, as they had the best rates at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Eurocar and Enterprise in my experience, both have a cross boarder fee, Enterprise's is €150, Eurocar's about €50.

My advice is fly to Dublin, rent the van ferry back, ferry back to Ireland, drop off. At least you're home then. Enterprise is either at the Airport or in Swords (not far from the Airport). Large Transit is €33 per day booked far enough in advance.

Man in a van service might be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Thanks for the advice. When we came over we spent over €1,000 for space on a lorry. We'd about another three car loads too!

If we could do it for €600 or less it'd be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cel982

We did it moving from Ireland to the UK four years ago. Rented van in Belfast (from Enterprise), ferry Dublin-Holyhead, dropped it back in Cornwall. Very straightforward and no eyebrows raised anywhere.

Advertisement