Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silly thoughts you had as an innocent child

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

That reminds me, I thought that a man and a woman knelt down to pray to god together and then the woman would have a big belly and be pregnant with a baby that would come out of it.

@suicide_circus, I was also confused when I was first contemplating gay sex and assumed that they must just rub their willies together, I think my sister laughed at me and then I said something like ''well they hardly put it in each other's bums'' and then she laughed even harder, the penny dropped :pac:

I used to think that babies came from a special 'hospital' that was really a factory for making babies. When someone came home from this 'hospital' with a new baby, they would talk about the baby being 7 or 8 pounds, I thought that's what they paid for it. When my mother told me that I was 'only 6 pounds', I thought that she must have got me in a sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

siblers wrote: »
    I thought that if you spoke too much you would run out of some type of "word fuel" and you would no longer be able to speak
    I wish that were true of some people! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

I thought that by pouring out two half full glasses of milk it turned into chocolate like the old dairy milk ads :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

As a kid I thought it would be so easy to have peace if people would get rid of money and instead share everything with each other and trade goods for other goods.

Well, my granny had a laugh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I used to think Camogie was underwater hockey for women. My father told me that as a joke when I asked him what it was. Naturally you believe what an adult tells you until someone tells you otherwise. I found out the truth when I was 17.

I think this confession may belong in another less complimentary thread, 7 fcukin teen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭kg703

Lorelli! wrote: »

Also near where I grew up, there are these 8 lovely little cottages in a half circle. My parents told me that there was one for each of the 7 dwarfs and the other for Snow White.

This has to be Raheny? I was told nearly the exact same thing! The dwarfs lived there :D
    Big Nasty wrote: »
    Ooh, that reminds me. I heard about people 'smoking grass' so I pulled a clump of grass from the garden, rolled it in copybook paper, stuck it with sellotape and lit 'er up.

Nearly chocked to death! :eek:

Yep - this one too but I think I was 13 so not even that young. And smoked matches in the school toilets. Sigh

I'm sure I believed many mad things but I know my brother and sister (much older) told me our Dad was a flea in the circus before I was born..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

You guys are so edgy.

(And it’s a lot more complex than literally.)

You forgot the standard "damn this kid is cool" but edgy's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭dinjo99

Up until the age of 9 or 10 I thought a person's skin colour was determined by where he/she lived. I thought it was to do with sun tans.
    I was sure that if a black man from Africa came to live in Ireland he would become white in a few months and that if I moved to Africa I would soon be as black as Muhamad Ali.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

tringle wrote: »
    We got a clock radio and I was thought that if you put the clock back an hour you would get the radio programme from that hour too.

I thought it you turned off the telly, the show you were watching would stop too. Happened a few times when I had to turn it off during cartoons etc and when we got back from wherever we were I was outraged that someone had been watching tv in my absence and made me miss my cartoons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mariaalice wrote: »
    That Dublin city and Dublin county were the same thing and despite living near Dublin I remember being absolutely amazed to discover there were farms and rural areas in Dublin.

Just as a bit of social history my father know someone who farmed in Blackrock right up to the 1970s
    There's still a farm in Drumcondra. http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/128904782
    Nokotan wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=436747
    My dad convinced me that Donabate (on the other side there) was England.

No, that's where the trains go home (according to my then 2-3 year old niece).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Victor wrote: »
    There's still a farm in Drumcondra. http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/128904782

Sheep farm in the middle of Ballymount Ind Estate too. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I had no concept of age at all, when I was about 7 we did a project in school about our parents, where we had to list facts about them.
    When I brought mine home to show them, it said "My mam is 14 years old and my dad is 15 years old".
    I obviously thought teenagers were ancient when I was estimating how old my parents were, and went with my best guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭CiboC

For a considerable period of my primary school years I was baffled by references to Lord Herus in mass.

We learnt lots about God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, Mary, but...... nothing ever about Lord Herus? Who was he? What did he do? Why were you never told about him? Not a word during religious classes in school even though they referred to him all the time in mass?

Eventually I twigged it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

CiboC wrote: »
    For a considerable period of my primary school years I was baffled by references to Lord Herus in mass.

We learnt lots about God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, Mary, but...... nothing ever about Lord Herus? Who was he? What did he do? Why were you never told about him? Not a word during religious classes in school even though they referred to him all the time in mass?

Any relation to Lord Graciously? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

CiboC wrote: »

Similarly I was always confused about ''deliver us from evil'' because I just thought about deliver and evil and to me as a child it made it sound like ''deliver us to evil'' and I was thinking to myself that I didn't want that to happen or to ask for it to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I thought everyone died by being shot.

That the death notices in the paper featured the names of everyone who had ever died and I couldn't understand why my Grandad's name wasn't in the paper (I must have thought it explained why my granny was so obsessed with the death notices!)

That when you were dead a plane brought the coffin up and you were sort of pushed out into heaven.

Im sure I had cheery misconceptions too, but those ones stand out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

danganabu wrote: »
    I think this confession may belong in another less complimentary thread, 7 fcukin teen :rolleyes:

I was 16 when I found out unicorns weren't real. Like, obviously I knew they couldn't fly (I wasn't THAT retarded), but I never knew they were a mythical creature. Morto for myself!

You know TUC biscuits? Like the cheese cracker things? When I was about 4/5 years old, the coal miners strikes were going on in England, and my Dad told me that 'TUC' stood for Trade Union Cookies, and that the government invented them to feed the striking miners, and that was all they were allowed to eat on the picket lines. If they gave in, they could have proper food again. Believed it was the truth for years and years.

I thought my Dad single- handedly built the Humber Bridge over in England, because he worked as a labourer on it when it was being built in the late 70s. For those that don't know it, it's almost a mile and a half long, and for years it was one of the largest single span suspension bridges in the world. Dunno how I imagined he built it by himself.

I was a bit thick when I was younger........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I thought I would be married and have children by 30..............that happily ever after would happen for me 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I wasn't born - I was adopted!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I was full sure Liverpool would eventually win the league. Now I'm old and have grey hairs and I'm still waiting :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I used to think, in my childhood innocent, that the exhausts from cars used to push them along the road... Cos you'd see the smoke coming out on cold days and then the car would drive on after it comes out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

my dad told me when I was small that you had to tune into a car to learn to drive. it had to learn your mind and if it didn't it wouldn't pick your instructions. So when he flicked the indicators I couldn't see it and he'd tell me it was because he was on the same wavelength as the car.

my dad also (years ago you could dial 17 and the phone would ring) told me he was selling my mammy in the Evening Press. The phone would ring and he'd reply it wasn't enough

My dad also put grains of rice in my bed and told me they were toenails.

There was also when he told my grandmother that my mother was a secret drinker and put wine bottles in my mam's coats, saying that she in denial.

i think i need therapy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I thought when people died their souls became part of the clouds. And they stayed up there looking down on us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Thought a fireman’s job was to go around setting fire to things. Cool job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

stinkle wrote: »
    I thought everyone died by being shot.

That the death notices in the paper featured the names of everyone who had ever died and I couldn't understand why my Grandad's name wasn't in the paper (I must have thought it explained why my granny was so obsessed with the death notices!)

That when you were dead a plane brought the coffin up and you were sort of pushed out into heaven.

Im sure I had cheery misconceptions too, but those ones stand out

Aww, I love that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I went to a wedding when I was very small and for years after I thought that a woman gets married by walking up the aisle and picking one of the men in suits in the front pew, whichever one she liked best. For years and years I thought that's how it was done and hoped I'd be lucky and have loads of nice guys to choose from.
    I also used to think that I'd be really tall by the time I got to 6th class,like adult size nearly but every year the 6th class kids seemed to be shorter and shorter. I'd say I was in 5th class when I finally figured out what perception is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

I thought my insides were hollowed out and I could only pee or poo until the food and drink I'd eastern finally reached past my Mickey and my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

That condoms' sole purpose was to keep your willy warm in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

That Jaws would quite happily live under my bed in a terraced house in North Dublin, and only putting the landing light on would make him go away.

That people on TV could see you the same as you could see them. I used to hide behind an armchair so they couldn't see me.

That beams of light coming through the clouds were escalators bringing dead people to heaven :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I used to think that if you didn't have a thought you would drop down dead! I didn't realise thinking this was a thought. I'm pretty sure this came from one of the original Star Trek episodes, some race were able to wipe people's thoughts and that killed them. Freaked me out for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That condoms' sole purpose was to keep your willy warm in the winter.

Is that what Br. Murphy told you?

Sure children are feckin' spoiled these days. Back in the day the brothers wouldn't wear 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I remember the time that two boys from Dublin managed to stow away on a flight to New York, after having made their way to London via the ferry to Holyhead. They were 10 and 13 years old at the time.. when it made the headlines, a brother of mine and a few of his friends at school were determined to do the same thing except they would travel to Russia. He was around 10 at the time, so he figured if these guys can do it then so can we.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Americans were the goodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I remember getting seriously angry at my sisters and mum that they kept stealing my glass gems I'd got from freezer , I'd hide them in a leather bag way under my bed.

I remember thinking , they must be watching me hid them and I'd hide them in other places .

The house was ruined by me .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

I remember watching my parents wedding video with mam and being really upset because I wasn’t in it.

I told them they obviously didn’t care about me since they didn’t bring me.

Their wedding was almost a year before I was born

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lolita77

I'm Dutch and when I was young we got cable tv with many music channels. They always had competitions on or you could request songs that you had to dial in for. They always said that you had to ask 'bill payers permission

I didn't know anyone with that name and thought it was highly unfair that I could never participate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

BBC to a child named Ronnie O'Sullivan: "how big do you want to be in this sport?"
    Young Ronnie :"about 6ft2"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I have three siblings younger than me. I never knew when my mother was pregnant, for all three of them she went into labour during the night and was gone the next morning when me and my other sister got up. We didn't know where babies came from but used wonder why my mother used to get this mad urge in the middle of the night to go get another child. We thought there were rows and rows of babies in the hospital and my mother went in to pick one out. We used also wonder how we all looked like one another and thought that as soon as the new baby arrived home it decided which of the rest of us it wanted to most look like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

When I was young I thought Earwigs actually lived in your ears - You can imagine how terrified I was of Cockroaches...:eek:

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

When I was young I thought Earwigs actually lived in your ears

I thought something like that as well.

Reminds me of when i was about 6, my friend's aunt sent her down loads of old debs and bridesmaid dresses so we could play dressup with them. Her mam kept them in a box in the shed so we were playing in the garden one day and put a dress on over our clothes to play.

Next of all we realised there were loads of earwigs crawling in the dresses. We were screaming and couldn't get the dresses off quick enough. We never put them on again after that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

I would here my parents and others talking about the yanks, didn't have a clue what a yank was , sounded like some sort of creature that would visit people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I could never understand why my parents got upset when they heard the phrase "slept with their boyfriend", after all, those ppl were just sleeping, with a friend!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

My sister is just under two years younger than me, so at the start of a calendar year I'd be six and she'd be four, but by the end of the year she'd be five and I'd still be six. She thought she'd eventually be older than me. Every fcuking year.

I used to think "I haven't a notion" was "I haven't an ocean". And I somehow got two things mixed together, like if you were eating loads of Frosties someone would say "you'll turn into a frostie if you keep that up" and then if you said "excuse me" someone would say "you're excused" and I thought that meant I'd said excuse me too much and had turned into an excuse.

Thought people inherited their accents from their parents like eye colour and things, if a child ever had a different accent from their parents I assumed they were putting it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

My dad had me convinced he fought in 'Nam

My dad is at this crap with my son.He was an army chef(he cooks a mean fry up and this is usually when he talks of his army days :) ) in every major conflict in the last century.

My mam tells my son he killed more people with his cooking than with guns :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Fizzlesque wrote: »
    This is one of those topics you initially think you've nothing to contribute to and once one memory comes back, more follow in its wake :)

I.

Yes quite agree....

Every morning on radio after news and weather it would give ferry updates , it would say something like , "The ferry's are running on sceduel "

I thought it was the fairy's , if I had a loose tooth I'd listen to news for them all important updates.

Update.... I actually visualized them sitting on a train ....probably because they did train updates around same time as ferry updates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement