Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn-around time for police clearance cert?

Options
  • 21-12-2017 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

I am about to go through the process of applying for a residency visa overseas. One stipulation in the process is that I provide a cert. from the Gardai with a background check for the past 5 years.

- What is the current waiting time on such an application?
    - What specifically am I asking for - or are all such checks the same? (regardless of whether they're for employment purposes or visas, etc.)
    - I had read that I need to write to the superintendent for the local garda division in order to apply. Is that the case?
    - I was going to call in with a letter requesting same..but now i'm thinking im better off sending a registered letter?

Any other relevant facts related to the subject welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Probably start by tell us which country you are referring to, since the requirements are different in different countries.

Check with the Irish embassy in that country to see what they normally do in such situations, since they will have precious experience of this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Probably start by tell us which country you are referring to, since the requirements are different in different countries.

Check with the Irish embassy in that country to see what they normally do in such situations, since they will have precious experience of this thing.

I know specifically what the requirement is. I need a criminal background check that goes back 5 years. Country in question is Panama.

My query and concern relates to the turn-around time for the clearance cert. However, whilst I simply didn't get an opportunity to get the ball rolling on that yesterday, I'll do so first thing tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Called in to Garda Station. Looks like they had their own form for the purpose (as no mention of that online) Garda very helpful - they willrcall me when its done and i can collect from the station. Turn around normally in a day or 2 - although might take longer because of xmas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I know specifically what the requirement is. I need a criminal background check that goes back 5 years. Country in question is Panama.

In that case I would contact the responsible embassy and see how they normally handle this situation. Foe example the Irish Embassy here in Switzerland already have a certificate that is translated into the local language, which makes it much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement