Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven switch keeps blowing

Options
  • 21-12-2017 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm hoping someone can help me out here I've an issue with the oven switch. It has blown 3 times In the last 6 months. I thought maybe it's the old oven on the way out and drawing too much current so I went away last month and bought a new one. Last night I went to turn the oven on and it blew the switch again. I'm concerned that it's not even tripping out. Anyone have an idea as to why this would be happening? Its the 45a double switch and the oven is a single fan oven. House only 10 yrs old and cable looks to be ok supplying switch. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

When you say it blew the switch, what exactly do you mean. Wall isolator switches burn out from connections being loose. This is usually obvious from evidence of heat visible on the switch or cable.

But going and switching on a switch and it blows? I've seen metal boxes cut into cables over time alright, and they go bang, and breaker at the MCB board trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Is it the mains isolating switch (that's built into the wall)?

When you say it's "blown", exactly what do you mean? Does it just stop working or is there arcing visible? Have you taken one apart?

Probably two reasons I can think of....connections not securely made causing arcing and failure or (bit of a long shot) condensation getting into the switch?

Dismantling the blown switch should give you a few clues. Maybe post a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭paddyirish23

Ok so I took off the old switch and don't see any sign of arching in fact i can't see anything at all wrong with it. I've attached pics. Also checked the cable going into and out of the box in the wall and No damage to them. Only thing I can think of is herself had the kettle close by. Would that be enough to cause it to blow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Do you have a multimeter with which to check the switch? You're right in that there's no evidence of arcing. My guess is that the switch isn't the problem.

I'd be inclined to switch off the supply to the oven at the fuseboard and check the wiring from the switch to the oven. If there isn't anything obvious, I'd suggest getting somebody qualified in to check it out.

Hopefully, it won't affect the turkey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Still not that clear what you meant by the switch blown.

I'll assume you meant when you switched it on, the oven just did not come on.

If that's the case, it might be a connection problem which could be anywhere from the MCB at the board, to the oven connection point itself. Assuming the oven itself is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Have you a hob connected to the switch also?

Advertisement