Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone ever pay rent through airbnb?

Options
  • 21-12-2017 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

We've been looking to rent and I've come across one apartment that I really like.
    It's a bit strange though. The landlord has told us that he is putting it on Airbnb and he wants us to take book it for the time we want it via Airbnb. He told me it won't be available to anyone else as long as we book two months in advance each time before the last one expires.
    The monthly price works out the same as the average price of two beds in the area. A little bit less actually.
    But I've never seen it done this way before.
    Has anyone any experience of paying rent this way?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That's not renting. Don't do it. Either get a lease or get somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

By using Airbnb you are only ever a short term renter of basically a holiday home. The landlord can raise rent at will and basically kick you out whenever they feel like it. You will have no tenancy rights at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd get legal advice before writing it off as not renting, not from Threshold.

If you are paying money to rent for more than 6 months then part 4 tenancy comes into affect. The landlord trying to game the system is their own responsibility, but if the OP gets part 4 tenancy this way the landlord can't kick them out without proper notice.

The RTB might be able to give some information but I suspect that this will require a test case to set precedent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Seems like a way to work around all regulations related to regular rentals. Basically you would be entitled to none of the rights a regular tenant has and they could change the rent or ask you to leave anytime the want at the end of one of these 2 months periods (maybe even within one, they might not risk more than a bad review on AirBnb).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

KellyXX wrote: »
    The monthly price works out the same as the average price of two beds in the area. A little bit less actually.

As a possible positive on this scenario, if it's an airbnb rather than a normal rental, the landlord is presumeably also responsible for bills such as electricity, water(!), bins, cable TV, oil for heating etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

The max is 6 months he says which tbh suits us.
    And the price and location suits us.
    It's just the Airbnb payment that is a bit weird.
    Probably won't be a problem but Ive never used Airbnb to rent anywhere even for a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Aside from this being a potential scam (airbnnb is cited for many scams) as Del says the LL is trying to game the system. After 6 months Part IV will apply anyway the form of the lease comes second to the actual situation.

The max is 6 months he says which tbh suits us.
    And the price and location suits us.
    It's just the Airbnb payment that is a bit weird.
    Probably won't be a problem but Ive never used Airbnb to rent anywhere even for a night.

Make sure it is as the LL isn't a stupid as he first appears then. You'll be out in 6 months minus 1 day no matter what the situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

I assume that the landlord can raise the rent by whatever he wants every 2 months?

SuperS54 wrote: »
    As a possible positive on this scenario, if it's an airbnb rather than a normal rental, the landlord is presumeably also responsible for bills such as electricity, water(!), bins, cable TV, oil for heating etc.

Yeah there are no electricity bill or bins. That's why it works out cheaper than normal rent when we factor that in.
    No internet or TV. We have to provide that ourselves if we want it.
    He says it's on Airbnb and he will only accept renewals from us so no-one else can book it for then 6 months, whatever that means, but I assume it means that boo e else can book for then time we are there.

He described it as a 6 months Airbnb rental. Now I've never done Airbnb so just guessing as to what that entails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

If you're comfortable that it's not a scam and the terms suit you .. why not?

SteM wrote: »
    I assume that the landlord can raise the rent by whatever he wants every 2 months?

We asked him that and he said he won't. He says it's ours for 6 months. But I guess he could if he really wanted to.

What he said was we have a fixed monthly price for the 6 months. And that we won't be able to book it anyway after the final day is up.

I tried to contact Airbnb to ask them some questions but it's impossible to contact them.

C3PO wrote: »
    If you're comfortable that it's not a scam and the terms suit you .. why not?

I think we're going to take it but I just wanted to see if anyone had ever seen rent paid this way before. I certainly haven't.
    He does seem genuine but I can't seem to contact Airbnb to hear their side of it.

Ie what happens if we leave early or if we wanted to stay longer. All sorts of questions really.

I think we're going to take it but I just wanted to see if anyone had ever seen rent paid this way before. I certainly haven't.
    He does seem genuine but I can't seem to contact Airbnb to hear their side of it.

Ie what happens if we leave early or if we wanted to stay longer. All sorts of questions really.

Nothing he can do if you don't renew. Under no circumstances will you be allowed to stay longer as Part IV would kick in.

You're essentially staying in a hotel plenty of people do it medium term. If you do it long term there's even a reasonable notice requirement but I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

I see you mentioned TV above. Worth noting that you will likely find it hard to set up TV, broadband accounts etc, as you will not have any bills in your name at the address, since you are not a proper tenant. Something to consider. Similar issues if you wanted to change bank accounts, or anything that requires bills in your name at the address.

I see you mentioned TV above. Worth noting that you will likely find it hard to set up TV, broadband accounts etc, as you will not have any bills in your name at the address, since you are not a proper tenant. Something to consider. Similar issues if you wanted to change bank accounts, or anything that requires bills in your name at the address.

You could set up Sky no problem (albeit on a 12 month contract but they will move you). I suspect Virgin would be the better option though as they do 30 day contracts and are equally as easy to set up in fairness. Banks though would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We asked him that and he said he won't. He says it's ours for 6 months. But I guess he could if he really wanted to.

What he said was we have a fixed monthly price for the 6 months. And that we won't be able to book it anyway after the final day is up.

I tried to contact Airbnb to ask them some questions but it's impossible to contact them.

You have no guarantee beyond the first couple of months. I wouldn’t be inclined to take someone evading tenancy legislation at their word. If he gets a better offer after two or four months you’ll be gone.

Ask for a six month lease and get everything on paper is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,444 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Personally wouldn't recommend doing this for the reasons already mentioned

Not really a problem for us. We use a dongle for the internet and TV even now so that won't have to change. Trying to think of other stuff but I'm drawing a blank.

Can you book for the whole 6 months in advance on Airbnb? Instead of two months at a time.
    That might be an option. But then if we left early that wouldn't suit, but if we definitely were going to be staying 6 months?

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You have no guarantee beyond the first couple of months. I wouldn’t be inclined to take someone evading tenancy legislation at their word. If he gets a better offer after two or four months you’ll be gone.

Ask for a six month lease and get everything on paper is my advice.

He told us the reason he is doing this is that the rent used to be 40% below the market value and he couldn't put it to market value any other way, so it was this way or no way for him.

We had the same situation from the opposite side at the moment so I know what he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you are paying by pay pal make sure its not friends and family, much harder to get your money back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

It sounds like the Landlord is trying to get around the regulations but he actually hasn't got a leg to stand on. Once you are there six months you have the same rights no matter what medium you use to pay the rent. If you like the place go for it and keep quiet for six months. After that you have the same rights as any renter, more in fact as he will not have registered the tenancy.
    It is the landlord who needs to get legal advice on this one.

AlanG wrote: »
    It sounds like the Landlord is trying to get around the regulations but he actually hasn't got a leg to stand on. Once you are there six months you have the same rights no matter what medium you use to pay the rent. If you like the place go for it and keep quiet for six months. After that you have the same rights as any renter, more in fact as he will not have registered the tenancy.
    It is the landlord who needs to get legal advice on this one.

We will be paying through credit card on the airbnb site so it should be protected.
    He wont let us renew past 6 months. ie he wont accept the renewal request on airbnb whatever that means.
    6 months suits us at this time anyway.
    Asked hi could we just pay him up front for 6 months in cash and he said no, he wants a record of the transactions via airbnb.
    He gave me some reason but i cant remember what it was now.
    Have to decide by today. Pity its impossible to talk to airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'd say this is definitely a scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Op, essentially you're living in a hotel rather than leasing a house.

If you leave early, nothing happens. You've already paid your month up-front, it's non-refundable, and you don't need to give notice. So it's flexible for you.

On the downside, it's flexible for the landlord too. It's not a lease and you're not guaranteed anything more than the month you've paid for DESPITE what you're being told verbally. Your contract is the Airbnb agreement. When you pay it you're accepting the contract as stated.
    (sure you could challenge this with the PRTB or in court, but instead of letting it get that far just be comfortable with the airbnb agreement. if it doesn't suit you, look elsewhere)

And Op, whhhyyyy are you emailing airbnb? They're not your lawyer. As long as you pay through their platform (rather than paying rent directly to the landlord) you won't lose your money to a scam.

Tenigate wrote: »
    Op, essentially you're living in a hotel rather than leasing a house.

If you leave early, nothing happens. You've already paid your month up-front, it's non-refundable, and you don't need to give notice. So it's flexible for you.

On the downside, it's flexible for the landlord too. It's not a lease and you're not guaranteed anything more than the month you've paid for DESPITE what you're being told verbally. Your contract is the Airbnb agreement. When you pay it you're accepting the contract as stated.
    (sure you could challenge this with the PRTB or in court, but instead of letting it get that far just be comfortable with the airbnb agreement. if it doesn't suit you, look elsewhere)

And Op, whhhyyyy are you emailing airbnb? They're not your lawyer. As long as you pay through their platform (rather than paying rent directly to the landlord) you won't lose your money to a scam.

Well im trying to find out off airbnb what the max i can book the room for in one go is.
    Say i could book and pay it for 3 months or 6 months today, then i would be much more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Can you book for the whole 6 months in advance on Airbnb? Instead of two months at a time.
    That might be an option. But then if we left early that wouldn't suit, but if we definitely were going to be staying 6 months?

Now you're getting it! The flexibility works both ways.

You could book the 6 months in advance. The disadvantage is you'd have to pay it upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I'd say this is definitely a scam

It cant be a scam.

He is going to be booking the apartment via the AirBnb website and is covered by their terms and conditions.

If the OP books the apartment and the apartment isnt actually available then AirBnb will refund him.

OP just be careful of AirBnb service fees which are usually added on top of the advertised daily rate.

• Advertisement

Tenigate wrote: »
    Now you're getting it! The flexibility works both ways.

You could book the 6 months in advance. The disadvantage is you'd have to pay it upfront.

We could handle the 6 months up front. Just need to know if i can do it and then i'll propose it to the landlord and go from there. Have to set up an airbnb account today anyway.

Advertisement