Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone ever pay rent through airbnb?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

It cant be a scam.

He is going to be booking the apartment via the AirBnb website and is covered by their terms and conditions.

If the OP books the apartment and the apartment isnt actually available then AirBnb will refund him.

OP just be careful of AirBnb service fees which are usually added on top of the advertised daily rate.

Yeah the price he quoted to us is including the airbnb service fee. There is no cleaning fee he says.
    Airbnb is totally new to me. Only heard of it from friends going on hols.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

KellyXX wrote: »
    Yeah the price he quoted to us is including the airbnb service fee. There is no cleaning fee he says.
    Airbnb is totally new to me. Only heard of it from friends going on hols.

I used it before, op.

I stayed in a nice apartment in South America which included internet, electricity and gas. I decided to use airbnb's platform despite the fee as my cash would be protected (rather than making a bank transfer to a strange bank account).

I rented it for 2 weeks but at the end of the 2 weeks (and completely breaking airbnb's terms of services) I paid the landlady directly for another 4 weeks to avoid airbnb's fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Well im trying to find out off airbnb what the max i can book the room for in one go is.
    Say i could book and pay it for 3 months or 6 months today, then i would be much more comfortable.

If the owner of the property doesn’t want to take a 6 months booking, it is not possible. As simple as that and Airbnb won’t force them to do so if they don’t want to. No need to contact Airbnb for that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Two suggestions

1) Make sure you've met the landlord in person and viewed the property.
    2) Make sure you go to the AirBnB website yourself from a clean browser session. Don't rely on a link sent to you by anyone else (including the landlord). The same applies when making the payment. There are some very convincing fake AirBnB clones around.

A landlord who's prepared to let a property for below market rent via AirBnB sets off all sorts of alarm bells. Proceed with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Didn't you say in a previous post that you have an infant child too? 6months up front is a lot of money to pay. Are you sure you want to pay that much in advance? Have you even met the owner of the property? Or even seen the property? I hate to be so negative, but I can't see this ending well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

He told us the reason he is doing this is that the rent used to be 40% below the market value and he couldn't put it to market value any other way, so it was this way or no way for him.

We had the same situation from the opposite side at the moment so I know what he means.
    After reading this, and if you decide to take the offer, I would open a case with the RTP for an illegal rent raise and get this 36% rent back.
    I see this the same way as a landlord giving a tenant a licensee agreement and thinking that would absolve him from the tenancy legislation, it doesn't and similar, I don't think going the Air B&B route shouldn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

***ALARM BELLS***
    ***ALARM BELLS***
    As posters above have suggested, this is most likely a scam!

Joe Duffy heard about many very convincing airbnb type scams recently

eg:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/programmes/2017/0913/904430-liveline-wednesday-13-september-2017/?clipid=102603187

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Graham wrote: »
    Two suggestions

1) Make sure you've met the landlord in person and viewed the property.
    2) Make sure you go to the AirBnB website yourself from a clean browser session. Don't rely on a link sent to you by anyone else (including the landlord). The same applies when making the payment. There are some very convincing fake AirBnB clones around.

A landlord who's prepared to let a property for below market rent via AirBnB sets off all sorts of alarm bells. Proceed with caution.

It's not below market rate though. If the landlord let's by standard methods they have to rent below market rates, they are trying to game the system to increase their income. By insisting on letting though Airbnb they can't even avoid the tax on the rent which they can if they give a lease.

The only other advice I'd give is to call to the apartment at a random time in the evening and see if anyone answers the door, just to be sure that it's not already occupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

I'd give it a go. i would not pay 6 months up front though. Establish as good a relationship as you can with the LL in person.

Also OP, a little different I know, but please read through this thread too:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057690816

• Advertisement

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Didn't you say in a previous post that you have an infant child too? 6months up front is a lot of money to pay. Are you sure you want to pay that much in advance? Have you even met the owner of the property? Or even seen the property? I hate to be so negative, but I can't see this ending well

We viewed the property and met him.
    His family are from the same town as me too, so I know them, even though he doesnt know that yet.
    6 months will be fine. We came into some money and are now buying, but need something for a while before its all sorted out .

He is fine as long as its not for more than 6 months and all money and agreements are handled through airbnb.
    He says he has been burned by the rent controls and doesnt want anything to do with a long term rent anymore.

We viewed the property and met him.
    His family are from the same town as me too, so I know them, even though he doesnt know that yet.
    6 months will be fine. We came into some money and are now buying, but need something for a while before its all sorted out .

He is fine as long as its not for more than 6 months and all money and agreements are handled through airbnb.
    He says he has been burned by the rent controls and doesnt want anything to do with a long term rent anymore.

I wish you the best of luck with the rental and also with the house hunting. So long as you're re comfortable with it all, then fIr play to you and as I said, I wish you luck.

mdebets wrote: »
    After reading this, and if you decide to take the offer, I would open a case with the RTP for an illegal rent raise and get this 36% rent back.
    I see this the same way as a landlord giving a tenant a licensee agreement and thinking that would absolve him from the tenancy legislation, it doesn't and similar, I don't think going the Air B&B route shouldn't either.

How would the RTB be involved here?
    The landlord insists that they wont be and hes not giving them the chance to "stick their oar in" as he puts it.
    I dont feel like im being done, so why would the rtb?
    I think ive checked it out as much as i can. I set up the airbnb account and found the property on it about an hour ago. Also talked to a few people who have used airbnb.
    Im going to do it for two months first anyway and then ill do two months after that again and again after that.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's not below market rate though. If the landlord let's by standard methods they have to rent below market rates, they are trying to game the system to increase their income. By insisting on letting though Airbnb they can't even avoid the tax on the rent which they can if they give a lease.

The only other advice I'd give is to call to the apartment at a random time in the evening and see if anyone answers the door, just to be sure that it's not already occupied.

I dont believe he is trying to scam anyone. HE is just trying to get out from under rent controls. We offered him market rate, but he said he is not even allowed to agree with us to pay market rent even if we want to, which seems silly,but there you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

The landlord insists that they wont be and hes not giving them the chance to "stick their oar in" as he puts it.
    I dont feel like im being done, so why would the rtb?

It's just the mentality of some people who don't believe 2 individuals can enter an agreement without involving at least half a dozen public officials in as many government departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

conical wrote: »
    ***ALARM BELLS***
    ***ALARM BELLS***
    As posters above have suggested, this is most likely a scam!

Joe Duffy heard about many very convincing airbnb type scams recently

eg:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/programmes/2017/0913/904430-liveline-wednesday-13-september-2017/?clipid=102603187

That's simply not possible. Airbnb is a reputable company. As long as the OP uses the genuine Airbnb website and not a fake copy he can't be scammed. Even if the landlord turns out to be a scammer Airbnb will assist in getting the OPs money back.

Going through Airbnb will give you much more protection from the financial transaction side of things than cash or a bank transfer. The same tenancy rights would apply if OP were to pursue them through the RTB.

Ok. Definitely going to do it tonight.
    I'll let you know how it went and if there are any hiccups along the way that anyone else in such a situation should look out for.

Because I (IANAL) feel that the situation is similar to the landlord trying to enter in a Licensee agreement with a tenant, while actually renting him an apartment, and trying to have the rules for licensees rather than tenants apply to it. In this case, the RTP would step in and tell the landlord that it's in fact a tenancy agreement and the correct rules apply to it.
    If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. And your contract really looks like a tenancy agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

I’ve done a few 2 and 3 month stints in Airbnb’s abroad. You have to pay the first month up front with your card via Airbnb and it’s non refundable. The remainder is then collected in monthly installments.

Info here -
    https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/245/how-do-i-pay-for-my-long-term-reservation

Because I (IANAL) feel that the situation is similar to the landlord trying to enter in a Licensee agreement with a tenant, while actually renting him an apartment, and trying to have the rules for licensees rather than tenants apply to it. In this case, the RTP would step in and tell the landlord that it's in fact a tenancy agreement and the correct rules apply to it.
    If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. And your contract really looks like a tenancy agreement.

So even though its my choice month to month to renew it, but I wont be allowed, as ive been told, to renew it for a sixth month, i could if I wanted, just stay?
    I dont see that tbh.

• Advertisement

karenalot wrote: »
    I’ve done a few 2 and 3 month stints in Airbnb’s abroad. You have to pay the first month up front with your card via Airbnb and it’s non refundable. The remainder is then collected in monthly installments.

Info here -
    https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/245/how-do-i-pay-for-my-long-term-reservation

Thats just what I needed. Thankyou.

So even though its my choice month to month to renew it, but I wont be allowed, as ive been told, to renew it for a sixth month, i could if I wanted, just stay?
    I dont see that tbh.
    I don't know, as it hasn't been tested in the RTB or in court yet, but I could see the RTB and courts taking a dim view on landlords trying to circumvent the law, especially if it looks in anything but name like a tenancy situation (you move your furniture in, you have some of your own appliances, you get mail sent to the appartment and you have no other place of residence). You also need to remember that just because you agree to something, it might not be legal.
    And raising a case with the RTB won't cost you anything, but if you win, you could get a large ammount (36% of the 40% rent increase) back, which you could use for your new house.
    From a legal point, it has been tested in the courts that a landlord can't use a licensee agreement, while it really is a tenancy, as it is circumventing the law, so I could see this as a base that the RTB might see a 6 month airbnb contract in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sounds like a sensible plan for LL's with properties wayyy below market rent.

Yes, it means no tenancy protection. But it also means no deposits, long leases and notice periods - which will suit some people better than the tenancy laws do.

It'd be a bit of a PTIA for the LL, but he only has to do it for two years to get the rent re-set to current market value.

Regarding utilities and proof of address, mobile broadband from Three gives you this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And raising a case with the RTB won't cost you anything, but if you win, you could get a large ammount (36% of the 40% rent increase) back, which you could use for your new house.

The OP has already told us that she knows some of the LL's family. Why on earth would s/he be wanting to screw the LL over like this? Even if he was truly a randomer unknown to her - it's still a small country and karma is a b*tch.

The OP has already told us that she knows some of the LL's family. Why on earth would s/he be wanting to screw the LL over like this? Even if he was truly a randomer unknown to her - it's still a small country and karma is a b*tch.

I had a situation a few weeks ago after I was suffering a bipolar episode and everything getting on top of me that I was ready to use the RTB to screw my current landlord.
    I'm better this week and think I was being totally unreasonable. If a landlord doesn't screw you over then why would you want to screw them over would be my view. When my head is clear :)
    The RTB sure is a tool that can very easily be welded against a landlord though. If I were a landlord I would want to stay as far away from the RTB as I could tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't know, as it hasn't been tested in the RTB or in court yet, but I could see the RTB and courts taking a dim view on landlords trying to circumvent the law, especially if it looks in anything but name like a tenancy situation (you move your furniture in, you have some of your own appliances, you get mail sent to the appartment and you have no other place of residence). You also need to remember that just because you agree to something, it might not be legal.
    From a legal point, it has been tested in the courts that a landlord can't use a licensee agreement, while it really is a tenancy, as it is circumventing the law, so I could see this as a base that the RTB might see a 6 month airbnb contract in the same way.

The landlord is being clear that they won't rent for more than 6 months so while it's obviously a way around the rent restrictions they are playing the system and not breaking the law. You have to admit that the current situation is not sustainable for the private landlord and when they are chased out and it's all large REITs you'll miss them. Because the REITs will not appreciate a good Tennant, rents will increase annually and miss a payment and your out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Del2005 wrote: »
    You have to admit that the current situation is not sustainable for the private landlord
    This is nonsense. Profits foregone are not losses. Landlords still get 4%.

There was little moaning about rent levels in RPZ areas before the regs came in. And then suddenly all the rentals were "unsustainable".

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

You came here to ask if anyone has experienced this before and not one person has yet. So I was proceed with caution if I were you.

I would have some serious reservations about this. Yes he probably is legit and genuinely trying to get around the system of having to provide a proper lease/licence agreement. My main issue is you have ZERO rights. You do realise what you are potentially risking here? End of January, you could have nowhere to live if that's what the landlord decides or your rent could be double what you are paying now. Yes he says he's not going to increase but sure on Air Bnb he can do whatever he likes.

Also the fact he wont let you do 6 months in one go would set alarm bells for me also. He's playing the system and if he does that now, god knows what kind of a cowboy landlord he could potentially be.

You seem to be going for it but I would seriously reconsider. Good luck whatever you decide!

Ashbx wrote: »
    You came here to ask if anyone has experienced this before and not one person has yet. So I was proceed with caution if I were you.

I would have some serious reservations about this. Yes he probably is legit and genuinely trying to get around the system of having to provide a proper lease/licence agreement. My main issue is you have ZERO rights. You do realise what you are potentially risking here? End of January, you could have nowhere to live if that's what the landlord decides or your rent could be double what you are paying now. Yes he says he's not going to increase but sure on Air Bnb he can do whatever he likes.

Also the fact he wont let you do 6 months in one go would set alarm bells for me also. He's playing the system and if he does that now, god knows what kind of a cowboy landlord he could potentially be.

You seem to be going for it but I would seriously reconsider. Good luck whatever you decide!

I will blaze a trail and try it out and let people know how it goes :)

Immjust sick of going to viewings with heaps of people. This one had heaps of people but the landlord told everyone there how it would work. Some people said nothing and left.
    A few people threatened to go straight to the RTB and stomped off.
    We stayed and had a chat and this is where we are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I will blaze a trail and try it out and let people know how it goes :)

Immjust sick of going to viewings with heaps of people. This one had heaps of people but the landlord told everyone there how it would work. Some people said nothing and left.
    A few people threatened to go straight to the RTB and stomped off.
    We stayed and had a chat and this is where we are now.

I'd go for it in your shoes & if I was looking for somewhere for a relatively short period. The worst case is that the LL changes his mind in two months time. In which case you're no worse off than you are now tramping around to viewings with loads of people in competition with you. Best case it works out.

Advertisement