Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car deliberately ploughs through pedestrians in Melbourne, Australia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RasTa wrote: »
    I forgot you're an expert on people with mental health issues.

best you can do?

sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I noticed yesterday on Henry st in Dublin there is two very big iron tree boxes near the entrance.
    I would think it's a 'just in case' plan but good to see council planning ahead in case someone does try to ram down Henry st (again).

Has this happened before on Henry Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yes in 2001,failed nigerian asylum seeker, 10 injured
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/pedestrians-mowed-down-on-street-1.332889

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

in 2002 or 01 ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

That's sad but this is a thread about the Australian car attack by a mentally ill chap, not an unrelated war. Go and fuck off to another thread.

No-one bothered to start another thread. If only. You should mind your language too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Bob Harris wrote: »
    No-one bothered to start another thread. If only. You should mind your language too.

Please feel free to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    It's not fair to the millions of people who deal with mental health issues to use this as an excuse,
    Only the most severe of cases could ever be blamed for playing any part in something like this.
    No, these are just morons, blinded by religious ideology driven by America, and other countries foreign policies

You are right, they are throwing mental health people under the bus in an effort to take the focus of Islamic extremism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

backspin. wrote: »
    You are right, they are throwing mental health people under the bus in an effort to take the focus of Islamic extremism.

Instead of waiting for further investigation into the case. You're leaping to a conclusion that suits your views. As a person who deals with mental illness, I don't feel like I've been thrown under any bus. This will have zero impact upon my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

RobertKK wrote: »
    None of us will ever understand the mindset of a person or people who do this.

I'm going to wait until more details are released. I don't want to make any unfounded conclusions on the motivation for this attack.

However, your statement is a cop out. If this was driven by ideology, we can understand the mindset of the person carrying out the attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

pitifulgod wrote: »
    Instead of waiting for further investigation into the case. You're leaping to a conclusion that suits your views. As a person who deals with mental illness, I don't feel like I've been thrown under any bus. This will have zero impact upon my life.

We have seen it used as the reason far too often when an attack happens. They talk of the mental health issues of the attacker. Quite often ignoring the role islamic extremism has on the attacks.

As i write this sean o rourke read out the headlines on RTE Radio and mentioned a man with a history of mental illness drove into a crowd of people. My point made exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

It's not fair to the millions of people who deal with mental health issues to use this as an excuse,
    Only the most severe of cases could ever be blamed for playing any part in something like this.
    No, these are just morons, blinded by religious ideology driven by America, and other countries foreign policies

Ah yeah, the Great Satan's fault as usual. Never mind the fact that Islam has been swinging the sword since the seventh century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

That's sad but this is a thread about the Australian car attack by a mentally ill chap, not an unrelated war. Go and fuck off to another thread.

You are better off hitting the report the post button, they are trying to derail the thread get genuine posters carded or thread banned and get the thread shutdown eventually.
    I’m tired of the authorities trying to blame Mental Illness as an excuse for these attacks!

You are better off hitting the report the post button, they are trying to derail the thread get genuine posters carded or thread banned and get the thread shutdown eventually.
    I’m tired of the authorities trying to blame Mental Illness as an excuse for these attacks!

Mental illness is the reason behind some of the posts on this thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

A ferry carrying 251 people has capsized in stormy seas off the east coast of the Philippines, the coastguard says.

A spokesman said a number of casualties had been reported. Huge waves are said to have caused the boat to overturn.

But hey...it's the Philippines.

Why didn't you start a thread on it then, or would you rather use it to show how ideologically on point you are

Have you a link to the thread you've set up??:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    wakka12 wrote: »
    You're always free to make a thread about the philippine boat capsize you know.
    If you actually cared about it you probably would have
    bear1 wrote: »
    It's very tiring when a thread like this pops up and someone who for lack of a better phrase/word, is attention seeking, tries to show how none of us care by portraying that no thread on another disaster exists.
    2 completely separate incidents but if you don't like that such a thread exists then don't post.
    Not happy no thread exists for the countless other disasters that happen on a daily basis? Create a ****ing thread.
    Please feel free to.
    jimboblep wrote: »
    Why didn't you start a thread on it then, or would you rather use it to show how ideologically on point you are

I didn't realise the tragedy in the Philippines was of such interest to you all.
    If I'd known I'd have started a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

I don’t understand why some people are getting so worked over the police reporting the facts.

They always report incidents as being terror related if they have all the evidence to back it. In this instance all the evidence they have points to it not being terror related.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1221/928904-australia-melbourne-car-crowd/
    "He is a person known to Victoria Police. He has historical assault matters and has a history of drug use as well as mental health issues.

"We understand that he was on a mental health plan and receiving treatment.

"We do not at this time have any intelligence to indicate that there is a connection to terrorism."

Apart from the usual crowd believing everything they read on twitter, it appears fairly straightforward for most people, especially those with all the evidence and facts before them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I didn't realise the tragedy in the Philippines was of such interest to you all.
    If I'd known I'd have started a thread.

If you're as interested in it as you say, then why didn't you just make one in the first place. Its not really of interest to me, at least Im not trying to feign interest to feel good about myself though, if there was a boat overturned in england or france I wouldn't make a thread on it either though. Crimes are obviously more interesting and hold more potential discussion on an online discussion board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

backspin. wrote: »
    We have seen it used as the reason far too often when an attack happens. They talk of the mental health issues of the attacker. Quite often ignoring the role islamic extremism has on the attacks.

As i write this sean o rourke read out the headlines on RTE Radio and mentioned a man with a history of mental illness drove into a crowd of people. My point made exactly.

Your point isn't made, you're assuming Islamic extremism was the motivator. Think of all those non Islamic spree killings in the US. Plenty of them are related to mental illness and stated as such, so it can only be related to mental illness if your white? He was known to police, history of both drug issues and mental health problems. Imagine the police had more of an idea of his beliefs than you presently do.

So what do you consider the underlying motivation of many spree shootings in US?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

dav3 wrote: »
    I don’t understand why some people are getting so worked over the police reporting the facts.

They always report incidents as being terror related if they have all the evidence to back it. In this instance all the evidence they have points to it not being terror related.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1221/928904-australia-melbourne-car-crowd/

Apart from the usual crowd believing everything they read on twitter, it appears fairly straightforward for most people, especially those with all the evidence and facts before them.

so just coincidental that he's afghan then

wakka12 wrote: »
    If you're as interested in it as you say, then why didn't you just make one in the first place. Its not really of interest to me, at least Im not trying to feign interest to feel good about myself though, if there was a boat overturned in england or france I wouldn't make a thread on it either though. Crimes are obviously more interesting and hold more potential discussion on an online discussion board.

My point wasn't to feign interest but to ask why the OP bothered dumping a news story on AH that is readily reported on by any online news site you care to visit. These incidents are common and one of this scale on the other side of the world is hardly newsworthy or of interest and there is very little to be discussed.

• Advertisement

My point wasn't to feign interest but to ask why the OP bothered dumping a news story on AH that is readily reported on by any online news site you care to visit. These incidents are common and one of this scale on the other side of the world is hardly newsworthy or of interest and there is very little to be discussed.

Thanks for the offer but we'll continue to make up our minds what we wish to discuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Why bother coming into the thread at all if it's of no interest to you? I'm sure plenty of people here have family and friends out in Melbourne so ever think it might interest them?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Why bother coming into the thread at all if it's of no interest to you? I'm sure plenty of people here have family and friends out in Melbourne so ever think it might interest them?

Excellent point, I've a couple of friends going out to the cricket there tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

A ferry carrying 251 people has capsized in stormy seas off the east coast of the Philippines, the coastguard says.

A spokesman said a number of casualties had been reported. Huge waves are said to have caused the boat to overturn.

But hey...it's the Philippines.

Are we playing tragedy top trumps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

so just coincidental that he's afghan then

And that another suspect was standing in the crowd with a bag full of knives, almost exactly like the attack in London.

And that another suspect was standing in the crowd with a bag full of knives, almost exactly like the attack in London.

+1

It's almost like it was a co-ordinated attack eh ??

(Waits patiently with a cuppa to be called racist by the usual suspects.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

There is a mass shooting everyday in the US, that's where there are 4 or more victims. They are deliberate. Why aren't you opening a new thread everyday for each of those incidents or does this Melbourne attack fit the criteria for stirring up anti-Muslim rage?

You're very selective on the incidents you post about, aren't you? Or should I just fuck off as you so eloguently put it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

dav3 wrote: »

Exactly. From what I can see, police everywhere are never shy in saying that they believe something is terrorism-related. If they weren't very sure, they wouldn't have ruled it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

Chrongen wrote: »
    Or should I just fuck off as you so eloguently put it?

Sounds like a good plan if you have no interest in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Chrongen wrote: »

Or should I just fuck off as you so eloguently put it?

Yeah I'd go with that one please.

Yeah I was thinking about that. Why was there a man standing around with a bag of knives? It could be a legitimate case of he actually just bought some knives for his kitchen and was bringing them home or could be something sinister like he was about to participate in the attack but chickened out last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Anyone playing "left wing multiculturalism is great deny everything" bingo ??

Tick off "tinfoil hat" there.

Anyone sweating ???

Catholic church.
    Catholic priest child abusers
    Magdalene laundries
    IRA/PIRA
    Trump
    US foreign policy
    Western governments foreign policy
    Crusades
    Car accidents
    Suicide victims
    US Mass shootings
    Andres brevik

Oh and the new one, Ferry sinkings.

I think that's most of them, isn't it ?

So do I win ?

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Catholic church.
    Magdalene laundries
    IRA/PIRA
    Trump
    US foreign policy
    Crusades
    Car accidents
    Suicide victims
    US Mass shootings
    Andres brevik

So do I win ?

Ooh close, you need "not all Muslims" and "you RACIST" and then you've got a full house!

Wave on...!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Mental Health is a excuse?

Where or by whom has this been said?

That's a fair leap there! Completely baseless, but I bet you feel better now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

RasTa wrote: »
    He's not a white Australian so can't have mental health issues.

Strange that the not inconsiderable communities of Hindus, Buddhists and Traditional Chinese Religions all seem to not have mental health issues either, or rather maybe they do but for some reason its not grounds to go around imitating Islamist attacks.

Mental Health is a excuse?

An explanation surely, not an excuse? Mental issues are many and varied and some sadly can lead to violent acts ie. schizophrenia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

_Dara_ wrote: »
    An explanation surely, not an excuse? Mental issues are many and varied and some sadly can lead to violent acts ie. schizophrenia.

Of course it's an explanation. You'd want to have mental issues to buy into any of that religious extremist moronic waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

We all know the real reason this occured and exactly whos to blame. The west and its drunk neocon marxist libtard clearly. I for one welcome our new Muslim overlords. Am I doing this right?

Thanks for the offer but we'll continue to make up our minds what we wish to discuss.

Read back through the thread. Your own contributions towards discussion have been non existent.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Of course it's an explanation. You'd want to have mental issues to buy into any of that religious extremist moronic waffle.

The police don’t seem to think there’s any religious extremist slant and, in my experience, they tend to be fairly forthright if they think there’s a link. There’s no conspiracy, folks.

Why do you think he can’t have a common-or-garden mental illness, some of which make people violent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The dancing around this issue any time something like this happens is absurd. Back when the Troubles were in full blast (horrendous pun intended) do you imagine that a car bomb going off in London would have been met by "we don't actually know who did it, don't speculate until we have concrete information"? It would have been utterly absurd to react in this fashion given that such attacks were commonplace at the time and almost universally practised in that region by one particular brand of terrorist, extremist Republicans.

I honestly don't see why these attacks are considered any different today. The method of attack involving ramming a vehicle into a crowd of pedestrians is almost universally, with very few exceptions, the hallmark of somebody who is either officially or unofficially aligned, or at least loyal to, ISIS and its extremist ideology. Why should it be controversial to say that, exactly? Call it like it is - if there's a terrorist attack in a Western country using the method of suicide bomb, vehicle ramming or knife / sword rampage, it's almost always going to be a fundamentalist Islamic extremist, and within that, he or she will almost always claim allegiance specifically to the ISIS faction. It's that simple. It's enough of a correlation in my view that "we don't know for sure yet" is just redundant in these cases, because nine times out of ten such speculation is not going to turn out to be incorrect. If it does, well then people can stop talking about it at that time, but it's ludicrous to suggest that there's something wrong or immoral about applying Occam's Razor to news stories - IE, jumping to the most likely and logical assumption first unless it is disproven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

The religion of death and mayhem strikes again now there's a surprise not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

The police don’t seem to think there’s any religious extremist slant and, in my experience, they tend to be fairly forthright if they think there’s a link. There’s no conspiracy, folks.

Why do you think he can’t have a common-or-garden mental illness, some of which make people violent?

In fairness, most religious views are a strain of mental illness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

jmayo wrote: »
    Catholic church.
    Magdalene laundries
    IRA/PIRA
    Trump
    US foreign policy
    Crusades
    Car accidents
    Suicide victims
    US Mass shootings
    Andres brevik

So do I win ?

You forgot Peanut allergies

As usual the suspect was declared to have suffered from mental illness how very pc however i live in the real world and I'm going to call it for what it is which is an Islamic terrorist attack if the pc brigade don't like it then they can get stuffed i don't take any of those clowns seriously anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Mutant z wrote: »
    As usual the suspect was declared to have suffered from mental illness how very pc however i live in the real world and I'm going to call it for what it is which is an Islamic terrorist attack if the pc brigade don't like it then they can get stuffed i don't take any of those clowns seriously anyway.

I would imagine that the feeling is mutual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

In fairness, most all religious views are a strain of mental illness

No offence but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Would you accept that in the context of recent events, and until concrete evidence emerges to point to a "yay" or "nay" in terms of a link to Islamic extremism, it's not unreasonable for people to jump to that as the most likely explanation for the simple reason that almost all such attacks in the recent past sharing similar methodology and target profile have been?

Again, see my London analogy over the page. I'm sure there were some bombings in London at the height of the troubles which turned out to have absolutely nothing to do with the IRA, but it would be ludicrous to suggest that an individual whose brain heard the phrase "bomb attack in London" and automatically assumed "most likely IRA related" was somehow morally wrong or logically wrong to jump to that assumption, all other factors being equal. Obviously when something happens without its own immediate background being known, people are going to compare it to other similar incidents and assume a similar background, so in this instance, this incident today shares fundamental hallmarks with ISIS related attacks and doesn't share fundamental hallmarks with any other regular occurrence in recent times (thank f*ck) so for somebody to assume it's ISIS related unless told otherwise is entirely reasonable. It's obviously not how the police or the judicial system should operate, but your average consumer of news media has no reason to be held to such standards of evidence.

Telling it like it is. You go, girlfrien’!

I would imagine that the feeling is mutual.

Well at least i live in reality and can see Islam for the poison that it is, it brings nothing but mayhem to the planet and i certainly don't want it here, it belongs in the stone age not in western Europe or any other civilised parts of the planet in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It's so edgy in here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement