Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years in Dingle

• 21-12-2017 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Have somewhere booked in Dingle for New Years, but having second thoughts now. Had heard it was a great spot, but recently have heard that everywhere will be packed and mightn't even get into pubs. Is it that bad? . I know most places will be busy but don't fancy queing for the bar, and toilets all night long

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

Your best bet is to get booze from the off licence and wear a warm coat and stay outside a place with good music, nobody would take any notice as it'll be so busy. Did dingle once for new years and if I ever go again that's what I'd do.

You spend so lucky time waiting for drinks at the bar it's hardly worth being there as you miss the craic with friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

It is very busy and the pubs are pretty full from early in the day. Locals tend to stay away from anywhere near the Quay, Strand street etc and instead go to some of the pubs away from the harbour area where the crowds are biggest. The pubs empty for the fireworks at 10 - everyone heads to the pier, back the quay or down to Cúilín for a good view. Then its back for a few drinks before the band goes around the town at 11.30 and the countdown to the new year at the Droichead Beag.
    With some friends -- and dry weather - its great fun. If crowds are not your thing - and/or its raining, windy etc you might want to give it a miss. A lot of locals with young families come to town just for the fireworks and then head home straight away. Main Street in the run up to midnight is not for the faint hearted or the claustrophobic.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'd second what the previous posters said, being outside at least some of the night soaking up the atmosphere is much of the fun and you want good weather for that - which is obviously unpredictable!

The way to do it IMO is to rent a house with a bunch of friends so you can take the party back there if the crowds prove too much or the weather doesn't play ball.

Advertisement