Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom built pc overheating

Options
  • 21-12-2017 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

A friend of mine has a custom pc that's over heading heating. His put stays on for 12 hours and then turns off. He replaced the termal past only using a rice grain size and still over heating. His cpu is an AMD 8350 and a corsair aio h60 with push pull config

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is the CPU running at stock, or has he overclocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dmcm_90

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Is the CPU running at stock, or has he overclocked?
    Stock and default bios settings

Get him to take off the cooler and check if the paste is spread out evenly. There might be too little contact, leading to no cooling.

Get him to take off the cooler and check if the paste is spread out evenly. There might be too little contact, leading to no cooling.

I'll tell him and that report back if no luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

How exactly is he coming to the conclusion that its overheating?

If there was a problem with the CPU cooler or thermal paste it would thermal shutdown a lot quicker than 12 hours. I'd expect closer to 12 minutes.

• Advertisement

My friend has done every thing with the advise I got and still over heating

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Define over heating.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Define over heating.

The pc would stay on for 12hours and then shut down and won't boot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

The issue could be with the power supply.

Have you checked the processor temperatures while running.

Even just run a processor stress test when you first boot up and check the temperature and if it turns off.

It sounds like it's something else.

Terrlock wrote: »
    The issue could be with the power supply.

Have you checked the processor temperatures while running.

Even just run a processor stress test when you first boot up and check the temperature and if it turns off.

It sounds like it's something else.
    the power supply is a corsair 550w

• Advertisement

dmcm_90 wrote: »
    The pc would stay on for 12hours and then shut down and won't boot up.

I really hope you're not a doctor...

A PC with an overheating CPU will shutdown in minutes. Not 12 hours. This isn't an overheating issue, at least not the CPU.

Before anyone can actually even try help you - we need to get some idea of what might be wrong here. So if you could, please provide the entire PC spec, what the problem is in detail and if there's anything in particular that seems to cause it.

I really hope you're not a doctor...

A PC with an overheating CPU will shutdown in minutes. Not 12 hours. This isn't an overheating issue, at least not the CPU.

Before anyone can actually even try help you - we need to get some idea of what might be wrong here. So if you could, please provide the entire PC spec, what the problem is and if there's anything in particular that seems to cause it.
    I'm doc and wouldn't have the grades for it lol.
    Mother board is msi 970
    Cpu is amd 8350
    Corsair 550w
    Gpu sapphire R9 270
    Ram 8gb not sure the speed
    Corsair H60 AIO cooler

The pc would stay on for 12 hours if he replaced the paste and now it won't even turn on at all.

I mean, none of these parts are new so I'm assuming this is a PC that's been running fine for a few years?

The only way it could be overheating is if the H60 pump died, which is possible if its a good few years old. But as of now we have no temperature measurements to even guess at that.

What happens when he tries to switch the PC on? Fans/lights spin up? Does the h60 pump start (it should be audible)?

I mean, none of these parts are new so I'm assuming this is a PC that's been running fine for a few years?

The only way it could be overheating is if the H60 pump died, which is possible if its a good few years old. But as of now we have no temperature measurements to even guess at that.

What happens when he tries to switch the PC on? Fans/lights spin up? Does the h60 pump start (it should be audible)?

I have the h60 my self and there is no noise coming from it. I can't check his on my system as my motherboard is dead witch I'd another story . It's more less silent. The pc was only build 2 years ago. It gets to the desktop and then shuts down

1. Open the case so you can see if the H60's fans are running.
    2. If fans are running, start a game / benchmark.

Or am I correct in assuming that it's "just dead" now? In which case, maybe the PSU died (happens).
    Or (best-case scenario) the fuse in the plug is gone :pac:

1. Open the case so you can see if the H60's fans are running.
    2. If fans are running, start a game / benchmark.

Or am I correct in assuming that it's "just dead" now? In which case, maybe the PSU died (happens).
    Or (best-case scenario) the fuse in the plug is gone :pac:
    fans are running and can't start a game as it turns off before you can do anything

It's somewhat hard to decipher actual detail from some of these posts due to how you write but it seems "won't even turn on at all" doesn't mean it won't boot, but just that it won't get to login

My bet is that the pump in the h60 died. See if he can find the OEM cooler that came with his CPU and test that, or perhaps if he doesn't have it you could lend him your h60 to test (you need to remove your CPU at some stage anyway if your MB is dead...)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Get the Corsair cooler software that will show you the pump speed to see if it's running. If it wasn't running though I doubt it would last 20 mins, nm 20 hours.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Get the Corsair cooler software that will show you the pump speed to see if it's running. If it wasn't running though I doubt it would last 20 mins, nm 20 hours.

It aint even allowing them to boot into windows now, I doubt the software will help :pac:

Advertisement