Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa checks at UK border?

Options
  • 21-12-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm thinking of travelling to Liverpool/Manchester/London during this weekend(Christmas break). I am not an EEA or EU citizen and I do not have a passport that would allow me entry(although my visa to RoI is biometric and stamp D) into the UK. Are there any strict checks on the border while going or coming back (between Dublin and these places)? Or, are there any checks between Dublin and Belfast, Belfast and anywhere in the UK? I am mainly wanting to watch one of the PL matches this weekend.

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

sentient07 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm thinking of travelling to Liverpool/Manchester/London during this weekend(Christmas break). I am not an EEA or EU citizen and I do not have a passport that would allow me entry(although my visa to RoI is biometric and stamp D) into the UK. Are there any strict checks on the border while going or coming back (between Dublin and these places)? Or, are there any checks between Dublin and Belfast, Belfast and anywhere in the UK? I am mainly wanting to watch one of the PL matches this weekend.

Cheers,
    How are you planning to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sentient07

Hi vandriver,

By any means that has the least possibility to put me in trouble (Ferry/flight/anything). Had been watching PL for almost 15years and never had the opportunity to watch it live.

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You'll be in a world of hurt if you're caught. I wouldn't risk it.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You'll be in a world of hurt if you're caught. I wouldn't risk it.

So, I wouldn't be able to travel to Belfast also?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,813 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Belfast has no actual physical boarder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Technically there is no border - however, the onus is on you not to go where you shouldn't.

That being said - I've flown into the UK loads over the past few years. In my experience, there are no checks when you get off the plane going into the UK. They seem to fully respect the 'borderless' element.

However, coming back to Ireland - we do not seem to extend the same courtesy, and we do check people arriving from the UK. Why, I don't know.

So, in my experience, you SHOULD be fine. However, you won't be immune to any spot checks which could be taking place, so it's really on you whether you want to risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Im the same, non-eu and need visa for UK. I wont even drive over the border north without a visa. If you get into any sort of trouble that involves the authorities, even if its not your fault, then you are screwed.
    Say you do go over, watch the game, have a good time. Some idiot decides to pick a fight with you or you get knocked down crossing the street. Police get involved, immigration gets involved, you will never be allowed entry to UK again, so just the 1 PL game for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I have never been checked in a private car travelling to belfast.

With ryanair if you have a non EU passport you wil need to get your uk visa checked by ryanair at dublin airport before you fly.

I have been passport checked at holyhead port when I travel as a foot passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

if you don't have the valid paperwork you are breaking the law.

If you fly, the airline may refuse you travel if they check your paperwork
    There are random (and increasingly frequent) checks upon arrival in the UK by air
    Returning to Dublin by air you will have to go through passport control and why and where you were may be challenged.

In short if you get caught you are in serious trouble and this may impact on your status in Ireland (if you get asked, have you ever been refused entry, deported from another state etc).

Get a big tv and stay on the couch

So seems like from all of your responses, I'm cursed Bureaucratically :( Thank you everyone for your time and information! Sometime later, I hope I could travel there. Finally, would you all recommend to travel to Belfast by bus? I am a huge GoT fan as well and I'm wanting to go to the Winterfell tour in Belfast. I have heard from my friends that they were able to travel without any hassle a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

How about the Eurolines bus? Would checks be in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Jacovs wrote: »
    Im the same, non-eu and need visa for UK. I wont even drive over the border north without a visa. If you get into any sort of trouble that involves the authorities, even if its not your fault, then you are screwed.
    Say you do go over, watch the game, have a good time. Some idiot decides to pick a fight with you or you get knocked down crossing the street. Police get involved, immigration gets involved, you will never be allowed entry to UK again, so just the 1 PL game for you.

jacovs is on the money here.

Get noticed by HMs plod and expect

- UK court
    - Fine
    - Spell in UK chokey
    - UK criminal record
    - Name on some rather nasty immigration list
    - Deportation to you home country

If broke and want to go home then might be a way forward

Im no legal bod but over the years have seen many newspaper reports on people who have fallen into the situation.

What would they say over on the Legal forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

o1s1n wrote: »
    Belfast has no actual physical boarder.

I would check out what would happen if you had a car accident or got stopped for a driving offer centre or dropped litter or some other minor offence.

I think you might end up in a world of trouble including deportation even to your home country.

You got to consider the risk v reward.

Can you just apply for a travel visa. If you don't get it don't go. There is none of that 'ah sure it's grand' with uk law enforcement .

650Ginge wrote: »
    I would check out what would happen if you had a car accident or got stopped for a driving offer centre or dropped litter or some other minor offence.

I think you might end up in a world of trouble including deportation even to your home country.

You got to consider the risk v reward.

Can you just apply for a travel visa. If you don't get it don't go. There is none of that 'ah sure it's grand' with uk law enforcement .

Fortunately, I am not that rich to own a car or rent one :-P . That being said, I would have taken a visa directly if I could afford a car. I was thinking of taking some bus or train to Belfast and back on the same day. But never mind, the threats are too scary to take a risk

Cheers,

Advertisement